RuneScape 3 is a large collection of new features added to the existing game, released on 22 July 2013, including a reworked orchestrated soundtrack, a new customisable user interface, and new camera controls.
Development on RuneScape 3 was first mentioned by Mark Gerhard on 9 September 2012, during a "Botting in RuneScape" Q&A live-stream on the RuneScape YouTube Channel. Gerhard suggested that micro-payments, such as Squeal of Fortune, were helping to make a "war chest" (or "fighting fund"), allowing Jagex the ablity to fund large future projects. Future live-streams included discussions about RuneScape's general future, including the possibilities of a RuneScape 3.
On 16 November 2012, it was announced that RuneScape 3 was given the name RuneScape: Next Gen via a special Behind the Scenes video. On 22 March, Jagex confirmed that RuneScape 3 would be released in the summer, via a bonus Behind the Scenes video.
The RuneScape 3 release date was officially revealed via a news post on the RuneScape website on 3 July 2013. RuneScape 3 was released on 22 July 2013; the HTML5 client was not included within the update.
At RuneFest 2013, it was revealed that the HTML5 client had not worked out, partly due to poor web-browser performance. During RuneFest 2014, it was announced that a new client, operating via native code, was being developed incorporating much of the HTML5 client's software architecture and features. This new client, written in C++ under the code name NXT, was released on 18 April 2016. NXT superseded the Java and HTML5 game clients which began to be phased out of service.
The following is a list of features included in the RuneScape 3 update:
- An HTML5-based client, including increased draw distance, improved texture filters, a new lighting engine, skyboxes, and Game controller support. The HTML5 client never made it out of its beta phase, even after the release of RuneScape 3, due to various optimisation and stability issues.
- Improved weather effects for environments where they already existed.
- Customisable interfaces
- Improved audio
- New community website and hiscores
- A new focus on player-driven storylines, featuring world events over a 3 month period.
Recommended system specificationsEdit
In an email sent out to registered beta testers, Jagex recommended an Intel Core i5 processor with an Nvidia 200 series GPU, or equivalent, to have the "best experience". Once the RuneScape 3 update was released, the recommended system requirements were revealed to however be:
|CPU||Intel i5 or AMD A6|
|GPU||Nvidia GTX series or AMD Radeon 5000 series|
|Operating System||Windows Vista, or higher|
|Browser||Latest version of Google Chrome|
|Internet Connection||High-Speed Internet to play the game. (Dial-Up Connections are not a good idea, you will get massive lag from the streaming audio server.)|
2013 updates connected to RuneScape 3Edit
The HTML5 client was a revision of the Java Game Client to be integrated in upcoming updates for RuneScape 3. The implementation of HTML5 was promised to make the game run faster and with better graphics, and was planned to have allowed for RuneScape to be played natively on mobile devices and tablets.
In addition to new graphics, RuneScape 3 launched including a new interface engine, known as the New Interface System, or NIS, allowing for a complete customisation of every players' interface. The interface consists of Action windows, customised in the Management Interface, which can contain various interfaces. These Action windows can be merged into a single window with tabs to choose the current window.
- After the release of RuneScape 3, multiple music tracks were accidentaly altered during the conversion process due to the use of special controllers in MIDI-like files. Examples of affected music tracks are the Dungeoneering music tracks. This has not been fixed yet.
- ^ Jagex. RuneScape 3 Now Live. 22 July 2013.*
- ^ Jagex. "Fourth Official Live Q&A - The Future of RuneScape." 30 September 2012. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "Live Q&A with CEO Mark Gerhard & VP Daniel Clough (Original)." 9 September 2012. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "Live Q&A with CEO Mark Gerhard & VP Daniel Clough (Improved Audio)." 10 September 2012. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod Sushi Pi. Transcription of The First RuneScape Live Q&A. Jagex. 14 September 2012. (Archived from the original on 10 October 2012.)*
- ^ Mod Mike. Future of RS Q&A Transcript. Jagex. 2 October 2012. (Archived from the original on 10 October 2012.)*
- ^ Mod William, The Runescape Team. "Behind the Scenes Video: Bonus Edition! Newspost." 22 March 2013. RuneScape News.
- ^ Jagex. "Behind the Scenes - The Bonus Edition!." 22 March 2013. RuneScape News.
- ^ The Runescape Team. "RuneScape 3 Arrives July 22nd 2013." 3 July 2013. RuneScape News.
- ^ Rik Henderson. Runescape 3 MMORPG coming to iPad in time, will work on some Android devices from 22 July launch. 5 July 2013.*
- ^ Mod Lordgit. "New Runescape Client." 26 March 2015. Developer Blogs Forums. "We decided to take everything we’d learned from our first attempt, and start afresh."