|“||Next time I'll uncook that blasted cat instead!||”|
— Mysterious Old Man, after being abducted by Evil Bob
|Release date||2 February 2004 (Update)|
|Examine|| • A very strange old man.|
• He's watching you solve the maze.
• Also odd and weird, but definitely not wise.
He has since retired from his job of randomly abducting adventurers to his maze and took up residence in a house in Draynor Village.
As a child, he was abandoned and left on the doorstep of a house on the opposite side of Draynor Bank. His adoptive parents decided to name him "Mysterious Baby Boy", but he had it changed at adulthood and was henceforth known by his current moniker. At some point of time in his life, he met with other individuals whom he calls his "random" friends and together they decided to host random events to keep players active and give them pleasant distractions, in return for small rewards. However, the events he and his friends hosted were under coercive circumstances, involving the abduction of players against their will or by giving them a Strange box from the Eastern lands which multiplied in their inventory if they ignored or tried to get rid of without solving the puzzle therein.
It was alluded to in a Letter to Saradomin that he is a wizard practicing the magic of Summoning, though the only magic he has demonstrated to players thus far, teleportation, is not to be confused with it. Summoning is the using of powerful spiritual energies to anchor mighty and unique creatures from other planes into Gielinor, whereas teleportation is simply to pass through the Abyss using RuneScape's magic to another destination instantaneously.
After retirement, he was forced to reside in another house as the Wise Old Man has taken residence in his old family home. One noteworthy feature of his current residence is a basement with items from the discontinued Random events, but access to it is restricted while the Mysterious Old Man is around, and he remains secretive on the nature of the basement. One can gain temporary access to the basement by asking him about abductions, in which he will summon Evil Bob and get teleported to ScapeRune.
Talking to the Mysterious Old ManEdit
The Mysterious Old Man would appear but not talk to players. When players spoke to him he would reward them with a random item, wave, then teleport away. Players who failed to talk to him got teleported to a random location and all notable items in their inventory were noted.
The Mysterious Old Man will also sometimes appear and transport players to the Mime, Pinball, and Surprise Exam! events. In the Pinball event he appears to be its master, while the other events are controlled (coordinated) by other characters, such as the Mime or Mr. Mordaut.
Sometimes the man will appear and send players into a maze. Players who quickly find their way to the centre of the maze will be given a prize and be teleported back to where they originally were. The faster they are, the better the prize. There are chests throughout the maze which have items inside and time can be spent to search for them but the final prize is a lot larger. Also, the man follows you all around the maze telling you which doors do not take you to the centre of the maze when you try to open them, and serving the same purpose as a Deposit Box during the event when you talk to him, so you can deposit items that you get from the chests or that you had in your inventory before being teleported to the maze. That way you will have enough space for the items you get from the chests or from the final prize.
The Mysterious Old Man used to give players a strange box. If opened, a simple question of matching the number/shape to the shape/number on the box will be given and if answered correctly, a mystery prize will be given (usually coins or gems). If the question is answered incorrectly, another mystery box will appear. Over time, if the box has not been opened, the box will multiply and eventually fill a player's inventory. The maximum number of boxes a player can have at any given time is 28, 1 in each free inventory slot and then all the rest in the final box slot. It cannot be dropped and if attempted to; the original box will stay and another will appear in the player's inventory. Attempting to bank the box or perform Low or High Level Alchemy on it will also cause it to duplicate. Only the original mystery box contains a prize. Many players complained about this random event because it gives bad rewards and consumes time. This random event seems to have been the most common in RuneScape.
The box may contain
- Coins (20, 40, 80, 160, 320, 640)
- Uncut diamond
- Uncut ruby
- Uncut emerald
- Uncut sapphire
- Half of a key
- Cosmic talisman
Random event ideasEdit
In the twentieth edition of the Postbag, the Old man conceived three new random events.
The Feeble-minded Squirrel of Just-Right-of-FaladorEdit
In The Feeble-minded Squirrel of Just-Right-of-Falador, an unsuspecting mug has to convince a squirrel, that the Mysterious Old Man had captured, that he was actually a yew tree. The reward was that the Spaniel of Unimaginable Horror would be unleashed upon the player.
In Mime Racing, an unsuspecting mug would have to jump onto a mime and pretend to whip it, as the mime jumped over invisible obstacles and took pit stops. The reward was to be turned inside out.
Oh, Postie Pete!Edit
In Oh, Postie Pete!, an unsuspecting mug would find themselves in a poorly written sitcom about a postman that is a skull. He must laugh whenever Postie Pete has a misunderstanding with the elderly neighbour, trips over pavement, or gets himself into a situation that is embarrassing and entertaining. The reward was was the Mysterious Old Man's slippers.
In Rusk, an unsuspecting mug have to send their troops out to capture large swaths of biscuit. The reward was that the player would have bragging rights for 4.3 minutes.
In Where's Jad?, an unsuspecting mug would be blindfolded and led into a room. He must find TzTok-Jad among the brightly coloured furniture. The task is made harder because owls are tied to the player's limbs. The reward was Jad's toenail clippings, which are awe-inspiringly powerful.
- The mystery box used to feature colours, but people with colour blindness were unable to complete the event so Jagex changed it to only feature shapes and numbers.
- Not only does the mysterious old man appear to players, he also can appear to some NPCs in certain quests such as Recipe for Disaster, taking away the Duke of Lumbridge, one of the members of the council, though these appearances are scripted and only put in to show that random events are part of Runescape, and not 4th-wall breaking occurrences which only target players.
- Since the Mysterious Old Man follows you during the maze random event, it is possible to encounter other Mysterious Old Man NPCs who are following other players doing the maze. If you catch up to one and talk to him, he says "Sorry, this is not the mysterious old man you're looking for", which could be a reference to the famous "These are not the droids you're looking for" line from Star Wars.
- The previous female and male occupant of the house the Mysterious Old Man is currently residing in has relocated to the nearby building with the two log spawns.
- If asked about abductions, he will get abducted after summoning Evil Bob through the letters ' CIS ', which is the fairy ring code to ScapeRune.
- He is one of the few, if not the only random event character, to be ' abducted ' by another random event.
- His new examine text references the Weird Old Man, Odd Old Man and Wise Old Man.
- ^ Jagex. Postbag 20 - "Tales from earlier ages", letter #Mysterious Old Random Events. Postbags from the Hedge. *
Bee keeper • Cap'n Arnav's Chest • Certer • Drill Demon • Evil Bob • Evil Twin • Freaky Forester • Kiss the frog • Gravedigger • Lost and Found • Maze • Mime • Pillory • Pinball • Prison Pete • Quiz Master • Sandwich lady • Surprise Exam • Big fish • Candlelight • Dr. Ford • Drunken Dwarf • Ent • Evil Chicken • Exploding rock • Jekyll and Hyde • Lost Pirate • Poison Gas • Rick Turpentine • River troll • Rock Golem • Security Guard • Shade • Strange plant • Swarm • Tangle Vine • Tree spirit • Watchman • Whirlpool • Zombie