|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|XP per kill||12 (and 3.9 experience)|
|Examine text||He jumps out and attacks people.|
Muggers are level 15 humans that can be found throughout RuneScape. They can be a potentially fatal threat to unaware new players. They use only crush attacks, which are quick and accurate. On one unknown date in January 2010, some of the Muggers in the entrance to the Stronghold of Player Safety have had their shirts changed from red to blue.
Muggers are aggressive, which means that they attack players who are two times the mugger's combat level or less. Thus, muggers are aggressive against players from level 3 through to 31. Caught by surprise and unprepared, a new player can fairly easily die at their hands. They can assault players even inside buildings, but are incapable of following them down or up the stairs, or opening shut doors, whether they be within the building or outside it. Other NPCs do not appear to even notice their presence, nor do they attempt to aid or resist them. Ways to repel or escape the threat of muggers include simply closing the door, engaging them in direct combat (inadvisable for inexperienced fighters), or simply teleporting away. Easy and quick ways of teleporting away include teleporting to the rune essence mine through Aubury (which requires the completion of Rune Mysteries) or enter mysterious ruins, though the ruins are accessible only with talismans or tiaras.
- The entrance to the blurite cave (in the Asgarnian Ice Dungeon).
- Port Sarim Jail Locked up in the 4th cell.
- Stronghold of Player Safety (not aggressive).
- Near the Sawmill.
- West Edgeville near the general store.
- Earth Runecrafting Altar.
- South East Varrock near the wizard shop.
Prior to the updates of 17 September 2009, a mugger wandered the area around Aubury's Rune Shop in south-eastern Varrock. The mugger was infamous for his attacks on low-levelled players entering the store, including, until late 2007, many macroers. The mugger became something of an inside-joke amongst the RuneScape community and was often referred to as "Mugger (level-6)." Jagex hinted at this in the Varrock Census, in which the mugger is named as "Phearthee Levalsyx" (or fear the level six). During early testing of the Court Cases Distractions and Diversions game, the mugger was used by Jagex as a test case. A shirt with a headshot of the mugger is also available in the Jagex Store.
With the updates on 17 September, Jagex removed the mugger from Varrock, to preserve the cushion of safety around Varrock and Lumbridge.
|“|| The citizens of Varrock sleep easy once more. The notorious mugger of southern Varrock, level 6, who works the patch outside of Aubury’s rune store, has moved on. Various street sources suggest that the mugger, real name unknown, felt that ‘his work was done’ and has decided to travel abroad. This is good news indeed for the people of Varrock, as this mugger has proven to be second only to zombie invasions as a source of panic for the city.
While the streets of Varrock are now safe, adventurers are being warned to steer clear of this shady individual should they run into him outside of Varrock. Recent sightings have put Mugger (level-6) as far afield as Paterdomus, Port Sarim and Edgeville. While it may appear that these are separate people, it is, in fact, the very same (and very fast) person. Please be advised that he is considered armed and dangerous – do not to approach him for any reason."
"Claims that his level has increased to 7 are greatly exaggerated."
— Mod Srowley 
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Bones 1 Always 311
Weapons and ArmourEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Chargebow 1 Uncommon 250 Bronze bolts 4–11 Uncommon 140–385 Staff of air 1 Rare 605 Bronze helm 1 Rare 149
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Water rune 6 Uncommon 162 Earth rune 5 Uncommon 90 Mind rune 9 Rare 63
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy guam 1 Common 639 Grimy marrentill 1 Uncommon 152 Grimy tarromin 1 Uncommon 44 Grimy harralander 1 Uncommon 148 Grimy irit 1 Uncommon 2,581 Grimy avantoe 1 Uncommon 4,565 Grimy kwuarm 1 Rare 3,460 Grimy cadantine 1 Rare 2,417 Grimy ranarr 1 Rare 3,399 Grimy lantadyme 1 Rare 9,329 Grimy dwarf weed 1 Rare 9,348
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 5, 10, 15, 25 Common Not sold Rope 1 Common 208 Copper ore 1 Common 78 Fishing bait Unknown Common 6 Cabbage 1 Uncommon 57 Knife 1 Rare 30 Clue scroll (easy) (m) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- The mugger in Port Sarim Jail was not affected by the update which changed the muggers' appearances.
- It appears that some muggers were created in certain places to prevent the use of Bots. Two examples would be at the mine south-west of Varrock, near the Sawmill and by the rune shop in Varrock. Other monsters share this use.
- Muggers were used in scams before the drop trade update, and players would scam lower level players into losing their items, since muggers are aggressive to level 12 and down.
- The Varrock mugger has become almost like a celebrity among the RuneScape player community because of the many bots he has killed.
- One of the muggers is known as Phearthee Levalsyx (when said aloud, Fear the Level Six).
- The clue scroll (easy) used to be an uncommon drop.