|Release date||29 June 2004 (Update)|
|High Alch||3 coins|
|Low Alch||2 coins|
|Store price|| 5 coins|
|Exchange price|| Glass:|
|Examine||A foul smelling brew.|
Moonlight mead is an ale that can be brewed with the Cooking skill at level 44 or higher, granting 380 experience. Drinking this heals 440 Life Points, and when doing so, the game remarks that "It tastes like something just died in your mouth." It can be bought for 5 coins from Roavar in the Hair of the Dog Tavern, located in Canifis.
The full recipe for Moonlight mead is as follows (ingredients used in the order given):
- 2 Buckets of Water
- 2 Barley malt.
- (Optional) 1 "The stuff", to increase chance of maturity.
- 4 Bittercap mushrooms
- 1 Ale yeast
- Wait two to five days
- Collect the completed ale using eight Beer glasses or two Calquat kegs*.
*Calquat kegs are highly recommended, especially if the ale has matured. Simply by collecting the ale in a keg, the value of the batch will increase by several thousand gp. This ale is considerably more useful in a keg, as it stacks 4 doses into one inventory slot.
However, the high price of this mead in a keg makes it obsolete, as a monkfish heals just as much in a single bite for less than 1/10 of the price.
The mature version of this beer, Moonlight mead (m), can only be obtained by player brewing. 4 dose kegs of this ale can be used to hold some of the highest amounts of LP restoring capability per inventory in the game, for comparatively cheaper then some of the mainstream methods.
This drink is one of the cheapest 'foods' with respect to Life Points healed vs. gold pieces spent (Kebabs have a much better gp/Life Points ratio, although they do not always heal you). It will cost you, at max, 120 coins to heal a player with 99 Constitution from 1 LP to 990 LP, making this ale much cheaper than many common foods (such as Lobsters, Monkfish, Sharks etc.), although this would take nearly a full inventory, and subsequently around 25 bites.
These drinks are most commonly used when training on werewolves, as players need only run a few steps to get into the bar and buy the cheap beer to fully heal. A similar tactic is often used by players in need of healing after teleporting to Canifis from a run at the Barrows. The coins reward from the barrows chest can be used to purchase lots of glasses of moonlight mead, easily fully healing even the most badly wounded players.
- Moonlight mead might be a reference to moonshine, a common name for home-distilled alcohol, especially in places where this practice is illegal. Moonshine is also a brand name of alcohol, which is illegal since it contains a very large percentage of alcohol, and is considered very dangerous.
- Moonlight mead may also be a reference to moonlight of the full moon, which is normally related with men turning into werewolves, although this doesn't apply to the werewolves in Canifis.
- Since it does not contain honey, it is not truly mead.
- This drink is usually bought from Roavar in Canifis before venturing into Mort Myre Swamp because Ghasts cannot turn a drink into rotten food.
Asgarnian ale(m) • Axeman's folly(m) • Bandit's brew • Beer • Chef's delight(m) • Cider(m) • Dragon bitter(m) • Dwarven stout(m) • Greenman's ale(m) • Grog • Moonlight mead(m) • Ranger's aid(m) • Slayer's respite(m) • Wizard's mind bomb(m)