This article is about cooked monkfish. For other uses, see Monkfish (disambiguation).
|Release date||2 May 2006 (Update)|
|High Alch||138 coins|
|Low Alch||92 coins|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Exchange price||423 coins (info)|
|Examine||A tasty fish.|
Monkfish are members-only food that heal 1240 life points when consumed by players with level 62 Constitution or higher. During the Swan Song quest, players must fish fresh monkfish, a non-tradeable quest item that heals 200 Life Points when successfully cooked and then consumed.
Members with at least level 62 Fishing can catch raw monkfish, gaining 120 Fishing experience points per fish. Monkfish can only be caught with a small fishing net. Using a harpoon will only get you tunas and swordfish. In the Piscatoris Fishing Colony, the small net fishing spots will only contain monkfish, while that is also the only place in RuneScape where you can catch monkfish. This requires players to have completed Swan Song.
Members can cook the raw monkfish if they have at least level 62 Cooking, and gain 150 experience if they are successful in doing so. Note that it is not necessary to do the quest for purchasing or trading, or for cooking monkfish.
Dropping monsters Edit
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Starlight 149 3 Uncommon
|Tools/Utensils||Small fishing net|
|Fishing Method||Small fishing net|
|Fishing Spot||Harpoon/net spot - in Piscatoris Fishing Colony only|
|Level at which it stops burning||90 on a range, 92 on a fire (89 with cooking gauntlets).|
|Instructions||Use raw monkfish with a fire or a range.|
Burn ratesEditburnt monkfish instead.
Burning monkfish on a range becomes impossible after level 90 Cooking. You could use the range on Neitiznot, which is closer to a bank and does not require any climbing. Catherby is also an ideal place, since the range is located right next to the bank.
Cooking gauntlets aid both in the cooking success rate of monkfish and the level at which you stop burning them. If using Cooking gauntlets and cooking on a range, it is exceedingly rare to burn a monkfish after level 86 cooking, and impossible to burn them on a range while wearing Cooking gauntlets beginning at level 87.
At 71 Cooking, players burn about 1 out of every 4 monkfish (based on a sample size of 364 monkfish: 88 were burned) on a range in the cooking guild. On the same range, and with cooking gauntlets, the rate of burn seems to be reduced to about 2/3 of this amount: 1 out of 6 is burned (54/319).
- Based on a sample of 4000 raw monkfish cooked, exactly 460 of them were burnt by a player starting with 76 cooking and gaining level 80 and cooking gauntlets on the Lumbridge cooking range. That would be a 11.7% of monkfish burnt.
- Based on a sample of 1120 raw monkfish cooked, exactly 72 of them were burnt by a player with 83 cooking and cooking gauntlets at the fire under the Taverley bar. This is a burn rate of 6.4%.
- Based on a sample of 2000 raw monkfish cooked, exactly 127 of them were burnt by a player with 84 cooking and cooking gauntlets. That would be approximately 6% of the monkfish burnt.
- Based on a sample of 2000 raw monkfish cooked in Neitiznot at level 86 cooking with cooking gauntlets, exactly 6 monkfish were burned, resulting in a burn rate of about 0.3%.
- Based on a sample of 10,000 raw monkfish cooked, exactly 714 of them were burnt by a player starting with 80 cooking and gaining level 86 cooking while using cooking guantlets on other players' bonfires. This is a burn rate of 7.14%.
- Based on a sample of 9690 raw monkfish cooked, exactly 1519 of them were burnt by a player starting with 68 cooking and gaining level 80 cooking while using cooking guantlets on other players' bonfires. This is a burn rate of 15.67%.
- Lophius piscatorius is the scientific name for monkfish. This is related to the Latin stem pisc, meaning fish, and the Piscatoris Fishing Colony (which is where monkfish are caught) probably got its name for these reasons. The other reason, as shown on the Piscatoris Fishing Colony page is that in Latin it means fisherman, so it could mean Fishing Colony of Fishermen.
- The value of one monkfish in Mobilising Armies is 47 Investment Credits.
- In an update along with all other 'burnt' items, Monkfish now stack when burnt.
Crayfish (raw) • Shrimps (raw) • Karambwanji (raw) • Sardine (raw) • Herring (raw) Anchovies (raw) • Mackerel (raw) • Trout (raw) • Cod (raw) • Pike (raw) Cooked slimy eel (raw) • Salmon (raw) • Tuna (raw) • Rainbow fish (raw) • Cave eel (raw) • Lobster (raw) • Bass (raw) • Swordfish (raw) • Monkfish (raw) • Shark (raw) Cavefish (raw) • Rocktail (raw)
Heim crab (raw) • Red-eye (raw) • Dusk eel (raw) • Giant flatfish (raw) • Short-finned eel (raw) • Web snipper (raw) • Bouldabass (raw) • Salve eel (raw) • Blue crab (raw) • Cave moray (raw) • Vile fish (raw)