|Release date||6 December 2004 (Update)|
|Quest item?||Monkey Madness|
|High Alch||0 coins|
|Low Alch||0 coins|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Examine||It's a monkey in your backpack. As you look it pokes you.|
The Monkey is a quest item used in the Monkey Madness quest. The player must save a monkey from the Ardougne Zoo in order to earn the trust of Awowogei. Players obtain a monkey by wielding a Karamja monkey greegree, then talking to the Monkey Minder to be put into the cage with the other monkeys. Afterward, they must talk to a monkey with their M'speak amulet and convince it to get into their backpack. To get out of the cage, players must unwield the greegree and speak with the Monkey Minder who will remove you from the cage. Players cannot teleport with the Monkey in their inventory. Using any form of teleportation will make the monkey disappear from your backpack.
It can be poked whilst in the backpack, which will prompt some humorous dialogue. He will often interrupt the player as well.
- When you have the monkey in your inventory, you can give him "monkey food." For example, bananas. If you use an item on him other than monkey food he will say "What are you trying to do to me!?" It is also possible to feed him monkey foods bought from Solihib's Monkey food stall, but he will say "I don't want to eat that". Despite this, Banana stews and Monkey bars that you feed to him would still disappear.
- You can cast Alchemy Spells on the monkey. The monkey gives 0 coins after being alched.
- You could before drop/release the monkey in a Free to Play world, this has now been fixed by Jagex.
- If you have any bananas in your inventory, the monkey will eat one after some time.
- It is possible to get another monkey from the Ardougne Zoo. When you take him out, you can take him anywhere in Runescape. It is unknown if this is a glitch or not.
- If you drop the monkey on Karamja, it will say, "I'm free!" and walk away. This will give your player 180 Thieving experience.
- If you try banking the monkey, a message will appear saying "Sorry, you can't bank the monkey"
- When you teleport to fight the Jungle Demon in Monkey Madness, the monkey will disappear from your inventory.