- This article has a strategy guide here.
|Release date||3 July 2007 (Update)|
|XP per kill||1,085.4 (and 358.1 experience)|
|Always drops||Dragon bones and 3 Mithril bars|
|Examine text||Experimenting with mithril gone bad!|
|Assigned by||Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
Mithril dragons are found in the Ancient Cavern and the extended area of the Brimhaven Dungeon resource dungeon. To access the Ancient Cavern, the player needs to start the Pyre ship section of Firemaking in Barbarian Training. To access the extended area of the Brimhaven Dungeon resource dungeon, the player must wear the Daemonheim Aura 4 from the elite set of the Daemonheim tasks. These dragons have extremely high defence, but since they are made of metal, are relatively weak to magic, with earth spells being their primary weakness. Mithril dragons are often killed for their possible drops, which includes the Dragon full helm, Draconic visage, Chewed bones and Elite clue scroll.
Mithril dragons are an excellent source of charms, as they drop four of them at a time. They are also a good source of rune weaponry.
Mithril dragons are currently the second strongest dragons, behind the Queen Black Dragon. Their release shattered the King Black Dragon's long standing record as being the strongest dragon in RuneScape.
Mithril dragons can be found on the top level of the Ancient Cavern and in Brimhaven Dungeon resource dungeon. Please note that dwarf multicannons are not allowed in the Ancient Cavern, and you must pay a small fee if you have not completed the Karamja Hard tasks.
- Enter the cavern by jumping into the whirlpool near Otto Godblessed's cabin. Go down the stairs, run east past Brutal green dragons, and climb the stairs to the mithril dragons. Partial completion of Barbarian Training is required to use this entrance.
- Use Fairy ring BJQ to teleport inside the cavern. Run east past the Waterfiends and the brutal green dragons, and climb the stairs. Partial completion of Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen and initial repairs of ring BJQ are required before the ring can be used.
- Use a Ferocious ring to teleport to Kuradal, run north, go down the stairs, run north-east past barbarian spirits and brutal green dragons, and climb the stairs. A ferocious ring can only be obtained in Kuradal's Dungeon and only when on a Slayer task assigned by Kuradal.
To use the ancient cavern, one must have completed the first part of barbarian firemaking training, and then talked to Otto about pyre ships. After the conversation is over, the player can now go in the whirlpool. Upon entering, one must climb down stairs and then run south to a set of stairs leading up to the mithril dragons.
The whirlpool entrance is closer to the stairs and only involves running past brutal green dragons. However, its drawback is that players cannot have a familiar summoned when jumping into the whirlpool, which wastes an inventory space for the pouch. It is also very far from a bank. Many players therefore prefer using the fairy ring or a ferocious ring.
To access the ones in Brimhaven Dungeon resource dungeon, the player needs to wear the Daemonheim Aura 4, obtained from the elite set of the Daemonheim tasks, the area is located on the other side of the cave, through a mystery barrier. This area contains 4 dragons.
Weapons and ArmourEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rune battleaxe 1 Common 24,326 Rune dart 14 Common 1,330 Rune javelin 8 Common 1,408 Rune mace 1 Uncommon 8,089 Runite bolts 10–27 Uncommon 1,840–4,968 Rune knife 8–18 Uncommon 808–1,818 Rune arrow 8–42 Uncommon 1,192–6,258 Rune full helm 1 Uncommon 20,452 Rune spear 1 Uncommon 11,185 Dragon full helm 1 Very rare 6,131,596
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Blood rune 27 Common 6,048 Soul rune 10 Uncommon 1,270 Law rune 4 Rare 1,420
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 8,721 kills.
4 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Super attack mix (2) 1 Uncommon 195 Super strength mix (2) 1 Uncommon 652 Super defence mix (2) 1 Uncommon 35 Prayer mix (2) 1 Uncommon 1,099
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 283–8,441 Common Not sold Shark 1–6 Uncommon 1,610–9,660 Ancient page 1 Rare Not sold Mithril dragon tail-bone 1 Uncommon Not sold Clue scroll (hard) 1 Uncommon Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Rare Not sold Chewed bones 1 Rare Not sold Rune bar 1–2 Rare 13,008–26,016 Spin ticket 1 Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold Draconic visage 1 Very rare 1,340,023
- ^ Estimated at 1/32,873 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012.
- ^ Also dropped in unison with other drops.
- ^ Only during the Fur 'n' Seek wish list
- ^ Estimated at 1/9,819 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012.
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth improves the chances when equipped but is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 450, 3,000, 9,000, 10,000, 12,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,752 Uncut emerald 1 Common 3,259 Uncut ruby 1 Common 4,669 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 8,651 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 24,402 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 39,824 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 16,883 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,204 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,622 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,326 Rune javelin 5 Rare 880 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,060 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,428 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,185 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,452 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 831,100 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,417 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,363 Shield left half 1 Very rare 66,362 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,680 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 12,400 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,269,900 Rune arrow 150–200, 500 Rare 22,350–74,500 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,511,800 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 4,082,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 3,286,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 89,088 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 10,979 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 16,875–23,625 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 83,550–116,970 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 99 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 132 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 10,500–315,000 Nature rune 20–80 Rare 5,640–22,560 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,540 Law rune 45 Rare 15,975 Death rune 50, 121 Rare 4,900–11,858 Blood rune 50 Rare 11,200 Raw swordfish 125–250, 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 37,500–300,000 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 454,000–908,000 Big bones 150–500 (noted) Uncommon 83,250–277,500 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 24,450–1,222,500 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 454,200–2,422,400 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 11,200 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,028,200 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 3,822,000–26,754,000 Rune bar 1, 50, 150 (noted) Rare 13,008–1,951,200 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 67,386 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 109,025–1,090,250 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 135,330–541,320 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 59,610–596,100 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 52,250 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 8,943 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 72,350–3,617,500 Magic seed 1–7 Rare 157,799–1,104,593 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,536,690 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 2,509 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 20,025–620,775 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,052 Yew logs 100–20,000 (noted) Rare 48,600–9,720,000 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold
- In order to receive a Dragonkin key, you must take the strange key loop and strange key teeth (both obtained from While Guthix Sleeps) to the mithril dragons, and use one of the halves on a dragon. It will breathe fire at you, but it will not deal any damage. Afterwards, it is temporarily tolerant to you, giving you time to run away. During the fusing of the key, the mithril dragon temporarily appears as level 57.
- In a Postbag from the hedge, Oziach pointed out that there are bronze dragons, iron dragons, steel dragons, and mithril dragons when he was chatting with Evil Dave. Oziach deduced that there will be adamant dragons, rune dragons, and even Dragon dragons.
- When killed, it says on the Adventurer's Log: I killed [number] of mithril dragons. If you killed 1, it would be "I killed a mithril dragon." Killing more than 100 in a single trip results in the Adventurer's Log reading: "I have killed many Mithril Dragons."
- Interestingly, their examine text indicates that metallic dragons, or at least mithril ones, may be the result of unnatural experimentation; of course, this may also refer to how they were created by the Dragonkin.
Dragons and dragon-like races