- This article has a strategy guide here.
|Release date||3 July 2007 (Update)|
|XP per kill||1129.6 (and 372.8 experience)|
|Assigned by||Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
|Always drops||Dragon bones and 3 Mithril bars|
|Examine text||Experimenting with mithril gone bad!|
Mithril Dragons are found in the Ancient Cavern, which may be accessed by starting the Pyre ship section of Firemaking in Barbarian Training. These dragons have extremely high defence, but since they are made of metal, are relatively weak to magic, with earth spells being their primary weakness. Mithril dragons are often killed for their possible drops, which includes the Dragon full helm, Draconic visage, Chewed bones and Elite clue scroll.
Mithril dragons are an excellent source of charms, as they drop four of them at a time. They are also a good source of rune weaponry.
Mithril dragons are currently the second strongest dragons, behind the Queen Black Dragon. Their release shattered the King Black Dragon's long standing record as being the strongest dragon in RuneScape.
- Enter the cavern by jumping into the whirlpool near Otto Godblessed's cabin. Go down the stairs, run east past Brutal green dragons, and climb the stairs to the mithril dragons. Partial completion of Barbarian Training is required to use this entrance.
- Use Fairy ring BJQ to teleport inside the cavern. Run east past the Waterfiends and the brutal green dragons, and climb the stairs. Partial completion of Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen and initial repairs of ring BJQ are required before the ring can be used.
- Use a Ferocious ring to teleport to Kuradal, run north, go down the stairs, run north-east past barbarian spirits and brutal green dragons, and climb the stairs. A ferocious ring can only be obtained in Kuradal's Dungeon and only when on a Slayer task assigned by Kuradal.
To use the ancient cavern, one must have completed the first part of barbarian firemaking training, and then talked to Otto about pyre ships. After the conversation is over, the player can now go in the whirlpool. Note that upon entering, one must climb down stairs from the safespot reached. Activate Protect Magic/Deflect Magic prayer, then run south to a set of stairs leading to the mithril dragons. It is advised to not walk around the Cavern because it is littered with several brutal green dragons. If the player is unlucky he/she might get attacked by a waterfiend. It is advised to use protect/deflect mage because the path to the mithril dragons is within the range of 2 brutal green dragons.
The whirlpool entrance is closer to the stairs and only involves running past brutal green dragons. However, its drawback is that players cannot have a familiar summoned when jumping into the whirlpool, which wastes an inventory space for the pouch. It is also very far from a bank. Many players therefore prefer using the fairy ring or a ferocious ring. Using the fairy ring can be dangerous, since its location is right near waterfiends and you need to use prayer longer because of the brutal green dragons between the stairs and ring. The whirlpool method can take some time, due to that you run and jump into the whirlpool, and it is dark for about 5 seconds.
Weapons and Armour
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rune battleaxe 1 Common 24,667 Rune dart 14 Common 1,372 Rune javelin 8 Common 2,040 Rune mace 1 Uncommon 8,185 Runite bolts 10–27 Uncommon 3,780–10,206 Rune knife 8–18 Uncommon 912–2,052 Rune arrow 8–42 Uncommon 1,560–8,190 Rune full helm 1 Uncommon 20,611 Rune spear 1 Uncommon 11,844 Dragon full helm 1 Very rare 3,498,206
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Blood rune 27 Common 4,482 Soul rune 10 Uncommon 1,230 Law rune 4 Rare 716
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 8,671 kills.
4 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Super attack mix (2) 1 Uncommon 220 Super strength mix (2) 1 Uncommon 686 Super defence mix (2) 1 Uncommon 35 Prayer mix (2) 1 Uncommon 1,191
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 283–8,441 Common Not sold Shark 1–6 Uncommon 849–5,094 Ancient page 1 Rare Not sold Mithril dragon tail-bone 1 Uncommon Not sold Clue scroll (hard) 1 Uncommon Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Rare Not sold Chewed bones 1 Rare Not sold Rune bar 2, Rare 26,012–13,006 Spin ticket 1 Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold Draconic visage 1 Very rare 1,230,658
- ^ Estimated at 1/32,873 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012.
- ^ Also dropped in unison with other drops.
- ^ Only during the Fur 'n' Seek wish list
- ^ Estimated at 1/9,819 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012.
Rare drop table drops
|Show/hide rare drop table|
- In order to receive a Dragonkin key, you must take the strange key loop and strange key teeth (both obtained from While Guthix Sleeps) to the mithril dragons, and use one of the halves on a dragon. It will animate as if it's breathing fire at you, but does not do any damage. Afterwards it's temporarily tolerant to you, giving you time to run away. During the fusing of the key, the Mithril dragon will temporarily appear as level 57.
- Mithril dragons are one of only two types of dragons that cannot be poisoned, the other being the Brutal green dragon.
- In a Postbag from the hedge, Oziach pointed out that there are bronze dragons, iron dragons, steel dragons, and mithril dragons when he was chatting with Evil Dave. Oziach deduced that there will be adamant dragons, rune dragons, and even Dragon dragons.
- When they cast their dragonfire, it looks like the close-ranged dragonfire attack from its lesser counterparts and chromatic dragons in melee range. This also seems to apply to Brutal green dragons, and has not been fixed.
- Despite being much higher in combat level then a Frost dragon, the Frost dragon's attacks are near or higher than the Mithril dragon's attacks.
- Before the Evoution of Combat, it was believed that they were only assigned as Slayer tasks for players with a combat level of 120 or above. This has been proven untrue, as players can get a mithril dragon task even at only 100 combat, though it is much more common for players to receive this assignment with a combat level over 120.
- After the Evolution of Combat was released, Mithril dragons became bottable. Jagex countered this by having a hidden update which increased the defense on most dragons, which then made them unbottable.
- When killed, it says on the Adventurer's Log: I killed [number] of mithril dragons. If you killed 1, it would be "I killed a mithril dragon." Killing more than 100 in a single trip results in the Adventurer's Log reading: "I have killed many Mithril Dragons."
- Mithril dragons are currently the only non-boss dragon that resides in one place only.
- Interestingly, their examine text indicates that metallic dragons, or at least mithril ones, may be the result of unnatural experimentation, of course, this may also refer to how they were created by the Dragonkin.
- Mithril dragons used to be the strongest non-boss monster to reside in a single way combat area.
- Mithril dragons, along with Frost dragons are the only dragons to use all three types of melee combat against players.
- Before the Evolution of Combat there was a glitch where when the Mithril dragon attacks you, the message "You are already under attack" will appear. This glitch may continue for 2-3 more attacks from the dragon.
Dragons and dragon-like races