|Release||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|High alch||180 coins|
|Low alch||120 coins|
|Exchange||1,240 coins (info)|
|Examine||It's a bar of mithril.|
A mithril bar is a bar of metal, refined through the Smithing skill by combining 1 mithril ore and 4 pieces of coal in a furnace, or by casting the Superheat Item spell. Smelting a bar of mithril requires level 50 Smithing, granting 30 Smithing experience.
Mithril ore can be mined at level 55 Mining, while the coal can be mined at level 30 Mining.
A mithril bar can be smithed, creating mithril weapons and armour at an anvil granting 50 Smithing experience per bar consumed. A list of mithril items that can be smithed from mithril bars and the Smithing levels required can be found at Smithing/Smithing tables.
|Used with||Anvil, Furnace|
|Experience (per bar)|
|Experience (per ore)|
Members may opt for smelting Mithril bars at the Keldagrim Blast Furnace rather than a normal furnace or Superheat Item due to the Blast Furnace only needing 2 pieces of coal per mithril ore. Though this option means more mithril bars can be smelted per inventory, it is much further from the bank than some normal furnaces in Al Kharid, Falador and Edgeville. This can be counteracted by using the bank in the Grand Exchange, and requires a usage fee if a player's Smithing level is under 60.
It is possible to smith up to 21 mithril bars in one trip using the Blast Furnace, coupled with a filled coal bag, 3 coal, and 21 mithril ores in the player's inventory. However, players may bring any amount of noted coal and mithril ore along with a sufficient amount of coins, and un-note the ores for a small fee by using them on the dwarfs working around the blast furnace. This makes it possible to smelt any amount of mithril with the only restriction being the bars that go into inventory. These bars can be banked nearby, or smithed into weapons and armour on a nearby anvil and alchemised with one of the Alchemy spells.
It currently costs 912 coins to smelt one bar using materials bought off the Grand Exchange. The current profit for smelting one bar is 328 coins by normal smelting, 662 coins if using the Blast Furnace, and -91 coins if using Superheat Item with a staff of fire (or equivalent) equipped.
- This list was created dynamically. For help, see the FAQ.
- To force an update of this list, click here.
- For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here.
|Item quantity required||1|
|Base junk chance||45.0%|
- Mithril derives from the fiction of J. R. R. Tolkien, author of The Lord of the Rings, and is Sindarin for "grey-glitter," but is also featured in many fantasy worlds, such as Dungeons & Dragons, the Final Fantasy series, The Elder Scrolls series, and World of Warcraft; sometimes spelled mithral.
- Just as Tolkien described, mithril is lighter than most metals found within RuneScape, weighing 1.59 kg, 0.2 kg less than iron (1.80 kg), steel (1.81 kg) and rune (1.81 kg).
- Noted mithril bars can sometimes be found inside barrels throughout RuneScape.