|Release date||12 February 2018 (Update)|
|Subject of testing||Mining and Smithing rework|
The Mining and Smithing beta is a beta that started on 12 February 2018 at 15:00 UTC and lasts for 2 weeks. The beta offered the chance for all players to try out some of the core features for the upcoming Mining and Smithing rework. Players could join this beta through a connection from the RuneScape Website, which opened the players client allowing them to join worlds 200, 201, 202 and 203.
Decorated Doric can be found in the Smithing building, players can hand in decorated items at him.
A poll booth can be found next to the shops to give feedback on the beta.
Upon first entering one of the beta worlds, the player is placed in front of 12 shops and one large red lamp with the same model as an experience lamp. These shops provide the player with much of the content as if they were in a sandbox world. The shops are as follows:
- Bar shop: Provides unlimited bars of the reworked content either noted or un-noted: bronze, iron, steel, mithril, adamant, rune, drakolith, necronium, bane and elder rune bars.
- Ore shop: Provides unlimited ores of the reworked content either noted or un-noted: tin, copper, iron, coal, steel, mithril, adamant, rune, drakolith, necronite, phasmatite, bane, dark animica, light animica, living rock, and elder rune bars.
- Boots shop: Provides unlimited pairs of boots of all the metals, including their upgraded forms, e.g. +1, +2, +3, +4, +5 and decorated where applicable.
- 2h sword shop: Provides unlimited 2h Swords of all the metals, including their upgraded forms, e.g. +1, +2, +3, +4, +5 and decorated where applicable.
- Gloves shop: Provides unlimited gloves of all the metals, including their upgraded forms, e.g. +1, +2, +3, +4, +5 and decorated where applicable.
- Longsword shop: Provides unlimited Longswords of all the metals, including their upgraded forms, e.g. +1, +2, +3, +4, +5 and decorated where applicable.
- Off-hand longsword shop: Provides unlimited Off-Hand Longswords of all the metals, including their upgraded forms, e.g. +1, +2, +3, +4, +5 and decorated where applicable.
- Helm shop: Provides unlimited Helms of all the metals, including their upgraded forms, e.g. +1, +2, +3, +4, +5 and decorated where applicable.
- Pickaxe shop: Provides unlimited Pickaxes of all the metals, including their upgraded forms, e.g. +1, +2, +3, +4, +5 and decorated where applicable.
- Platebody shop: Provides unlimited Platebody of all the metals, including their upgraded forms, e.g. +1, +2, +3, +4, +5 and decorated where applicable.
- Platelegs shop: Provides unlimited Platelegs of all the metals, including their upgraded forms, e.g. +1, +2, +3, +4, +5 and decorated where applicable.
- Shield shop: Provides unlimited Shields of all the metals, including their upgraded forms, e.g. +1, +2, +3, +4, +5 and decorated where applicable.
- Boost shop: Provides various items to boost the skills relevant to the beta.
- Level changer: This red experience lamp allows the players to open an interface which allows them to change their levels in Mining, Smithing, Agility, Strength and Firemaking between 1 and 99.
Available ores to mineEdit
Once a player enters the world there are many ores which are available to mine. Those being the ones already inside the game (copper, tin, iron, coal, mithril, adamant and runite ore) and the new, introduced ores, luminite, drakolith, necrite, phasmatite, bane, dark animica, light animica, living rock, and elder runite ore.
Currently all the new available ores do not have any textures as Bars, ores, or ore rocks. These are instead replaced by cubes of different colours.
The mining rework includes many new features. Ores don't deplete anymore, making mining more similar to the current Seren stones. Ore gathering is now independent from experience and uses a progression mechanic instead. New mechanics such as Rockertunities and Stamina now heavily reward the player to be active while mining.
Instead of giving a mining bonus pickaxes now have two new stats: Mining progress and Rock penetration. For a more detailed explanation see Mechanics.
|Pickaxe||Level Requirement||Mining progress||Rock penetration|
|Elder rune pickaxe||90||45-135||235|
|Crystal pickaxe (upgraded)||80||50-150||235|
|The 'no ore' 'double xp' pickaxe||80||50-150||235|
Ore rocks don't deplete anymore, instead they now work with Hardness and Difficulty. For a more detailed explanation see Mechanics.
|Ore rock||Level Requirement||Difficulty||Hardness|
|Copper ore rock||1||40||0|
|Tin ore rock||1||40||0|
|Iron ore rock||10||120||5|
|Mithril ore rock||30||240||30|
|Adamantite ore rock||40||380||50|
|Luminite ore rock||40||380||50|
|Runite ore rock||50||600||75|
|Drakolith ore rock||60||1300||105|
|Necrite ore rock||70||1400||140|
|Phasmatite ore rock||70||1400||140|
|Bane ore rock||80||1700||185|
|Dark animica ore rock||80||1700||185|
|Elder runite ore rock||90||2000||235|
|Light animica ore rock||90||2000||235|
|Living rock ore rock||90||2000||235|
To mine ore the player has to fill the progress bar above their head, one ore equals one full progress bar. The necessary amount of progess needed is determined by the rocks Difficulty and outside of Rockertunities (which multiply progress for 1 swing by 5) no more than the rock's Difficulty can be gained in progress per swing. Additionally each rock has a Hardness value and each pickaxe has a Penetration value. If the penetration of the pickaxe is greater or equal to the hardness of the rock then this mechanic can be ignored, else the remaining hardness will be subtracted from the progress made each swing. With all that in mind the complete formula for determining the progress per swing is as follows:
is the Progress per swing
is the Rockertunity multiplier, which is either 1 or 5
is the Pickaxe progress roll which is dependent on the Mining progress of the pickaxe
The player now has a stamina bar which determines how long it takes to swing the pickaxe. Clicking the rock fills the bar completely. The stamina bar is unlocked at level 15 mining.
|Stamina %||Time per swing|
|100||4 ticks (2.4 seconds)|
|99-1||4 ticks (2.4 seconds)/5 ticks (3 seconds)|
|0||5 ticks (3 seconds)|
- ^ 50% chance at either swing speed
Each rock has an xp multiplier. This value is multiplied with the progress made per swing to determine the xp drop
|Copper ore rock||0.66|
|Tin ore rock||0.66|
|Iron ore rock||0.68|
|Mithril ore rock||0.72|
|Adamantite ore rock||0.74|
|Luminite ore rock||0.74|
|Runite ore rock||0.76|
|Drakolith ore rock||0.78|
|Necrite ore rock||0.8|
|Phasmatite ore rock||0.8|
|Bane ore rock||0.82|
|Dark animica ore rock||0.82|
|Elder runite ore rock||0.84|
|Light animica ore rock||0.84|
|Living rock ore rock||0.84|
Upon mining, a nearby ore of the same type will start to glow. Upon clicking it rewards the player with 5x the xp for that swing and additional progress.
The ore bag is a new feature similar to the coal or gem bags. This item is supposed to replace the coal bag once released. The ore bag holds ores inside of it, each ore has a different amount of space it takes up in the bag.
|Ore|| Percent of space taken up|
inside ore bag per ore
|Full bag of ore|
|Tin ore||0.55%||182 ore|
|Copper ore||0.55%||182 ore|
|Iron ore||0.6%||167 ore|
|Mithril ore||0.7%||143 ore|
|Adamant ore||0.75%||134 ore|
|Runite ore||0.8%||125 ore|
|Luminite ore||0.75%||134 ore|
|Drakolith ore||0.85%||118 ore|
|Necrite ore||0.9%||112 ore|
|Phasmatite ore||0.9%||112 ore|
|Bane ore||0.95%||106 ore|
|Dark animica ore||0.95%||106 ore|
|Light animica ore||0.95%||106 ore|
|Living rock ore||1%||100 ore|
|Elder runite ore||1%||100 ore|
The Smithing rework includes many new features. The furnace now contains a hopper which allows the player to place seemingly unlimited amounts of ore inside, allowing them to be smelted in rapid succession.
Smithing any type of ingot into armour, weapons and tools however is now approached differently. You choose which item you wish to smith at a forge and you are then given an in progress smithing object. This is then heated at the forge. This fills up a bar above the players head, which represents the heat that the item has. The player then proceeds to smith the item on the anvil, which furthers the progress of the item, while also subtracting heat from the item slowly. The higher the heat an in progress smithing object has, the faster the smithing progresses. Heat does not dissipate as time passes however. It only dissipates when the item is being forged at an anvil. For a more detailed explanation see mechanics below.
Upgrading and decoratingEdit
Items above bronze can now be upgraded to make them stronger with each upgrade adding one tier to the item, e.g. an adamant longsword is tier 40, an adamant longsword +2 will be tier 42. Each item cab only be upgraded a certain amount of times, the amount depends on the tier of the metal used:
|Elder rune bar||+5|
The amount of bars used for upgrading depends on the bars used making the item:
|Bars used |
|Bars used |
|Bars used |
|Bars used |
|Bars used |
|Bars used |
Decorating is only available for rune and higher tiers. Decorating an item requires it to be at the highest available upgrade level. Decorating turns the item into a untradable, unequippable version which can be turned in for a chunk of xp to Decorated Doric.
Heat and progressEdit
The amount of heat each item can hold is dependent on the player's Smithing and Firemaking level and with 99 in both skills the maximum amount of heat is 894. Visible boosts also apply. The exact formula is as follows:
MaximumHeat = 300 + 3x Smithing level + 3x Firemaking level
For reheating an item in the Forge the amount of heat per tick is also dependent on the player's Smithing and Firemaking level and with 99 in both skills the amount of heat gained per tick is 150. Visible boosts also apply. The exact formula is as follows:
Heat per tick = 50 + Floor(1/2 Smithing level + 1/2 Firemaking level)
The progress needed to smith an item is dependent on the tier and amount of the bar used and the upgrade tier of the item.
|Bar||Progress Base [a 1]||Progress +1||Progress +2||Progress +3||Progress +4||Progress +5||Progress Decorated[a 2]|
|Elder rune bar||1000||800||1000||1200||1400||1600||800|
- ^ All numbers are the progress for one bar
- ^ The progress required is equal to half the progress needed to smith the final upgrade prior to decorating. This means decorating always gives the same xp (combined creation+hand in) in half the time as the stage immediately before it but at the cost of the item
While each swing depletes the remaining heat by 10, the progress gained depends on the remaining heat of the item.
|High heat (>66%)||2x|
|Medium heat (>33%)||1.5x|
|Low heat (>0%)||1x|
|No heat (0%)||No progress|
The Smithing xp of any given item is determined by the total of bars used for that item.
|Bar||Xp per bar||Decorating[b 1]|
|Elder rune bar||1000||16000|
- ^ The xp is split 50/50 between decorating and handing-in the decorated item.
- The building model for blacksmith workshop is a modified version of the workshop found in Lumbridge.
- The mining rock ores include all ores conventionally used in game apart from gold and silver.
- The armour smithed from luminite to elder runite ore have a retro style to them.