The Mind altar may be found west of Ice Mountain, east of Goblin Village, near the edge of the Wilderness. It is used to craft mind runes from rune essence or pure essence, providing 5.5 Runecrafting experience.
There are, as with the majority of the Runecrafting altars, several ways to reach the Mind Altar:
- With a mind tiara equipped or a mind talisman (wicked hood, omni-tiara, omni-talisman staff, mind talisman staff or omni-talisman are members-only alternatives), teleport to the Falador lodestone and run north to the altar ruins.
- With one of the above items, use the Falador Teleport spell (or a tablet if a member) to teleport to Falador and run north.
- Members can use the wicked hood's teleport (limited to 2 times a day, 3 if all wicked robe set pieces have been purchased) to teleport to just outside the altar.
- Members can also use a mind altar teleport tablet from the Great Orb Project, which also teleports to just outside of the altar; one of the items listed above must be used to access the altar.
- Members who have unlocked access to the Abyss can use the mind rift to directly enter the altar.
The maximum likely limit for crafting Mind runes in one visit is 2,024. This would be achieved by having 98 Runecrafting, giving an 8x bonus, and carrying 253 essence to craft (23 in the normal inventory along with 48 in the 5 sizes of Runecrafting pouches, along with 175 claimed from the wicked hood (if all the Wicked robes have been purchased, and 7 from any abyssal summoning creature), whilst wearing an explorer's ring (which has a 1 in 10 chance of producing an extra rune per essence). The maximum possible experience is 1,391.5 obtained while doing the above.
- Using the Orb of oculus, one can see the air altar to the east. To the south, one can see an infinate grass plain, similar to the one in a POH. To the northwestwest, one can see a thin ring of brown. If you to the ring using the orb and press E (go down) you can descend into the ring, and it proves to be an ocean floor. This being because the Mind altar is east of the Water altar.
- Previously, if the Mind altar was accessed from the Wilderness, "Goblin Village" would continue to play even after entering the altar. This has since been fixed.
- The area inside the mind altar is shape of a brain.
- There was previously a grave with a Celtic cross on it near the altar, not to be (but often is) confused with the Zarosian symbol which instead has the lines crossing diagonally on the inside of the circle. It has since been replaced with a broken statue.
- Previously, the walls were decorated with Aborgine-like artwork of people dancing. After an update, the paintings have been turned into mindless clumps of scribbles.
- If you go to the most eastern point in the altar you will be able to see the edge of the Air altar using the Orb of oculus, implying they are close together on the map.
- When examining a pile of rubble inside the mind altar, it will say "Broken parts on an old temple". This means that some certain creatures once built a temple inside the Mind altar and lived in or visited the temple before it was destroyed by something unknown.
- ^ "Map" should be interpreted to mean the plane the game exists on from a technical standpoint, but not the conceptual locations of the altars, which are said to exist in dimensions unique to themselves.