|Also called||The Golden City|
|Release date||26 April 2005 (Update)|
|Accessible since||5 June 2017 (Update)|
|No. of banks||6 (various locations)|
|No. of altars||2|
|No. of obelisks||1|
|Leader||The Pharaoh, Osman|
Menaphos, also known as the Golden City, is a city located far south in the Kharidian Desert. It became an accessible in-game area on 5 June 2017. Accessing the city requires partial completion of The Jack of Spades quest, which is started in Al Kharid by speaking to Emir Ali Mirza in the Al Kharid palace. To access all of its available content, the quests Icthlarin's Little Helper, Dealing with Scabaras, Missing My Mummy, Do No Evil, and Spirits of the Elid have to be completed, and levels 88 Slayer, 73 Hunter, 72 Fishing, and 50 Agility, Construction, Crafting, Divination, Dungeoneering, Prayer, Runecrafting, and Thieving have to be achieved.
Menaphos is plagued by Amascut, who is controlling the city's leader, The Pharaoh, and causing destruction while searching for her father, Tumeken. In the process, the Tombs of Menaphos have been revealed, and can be explored by playing Shifting Tombs, a minigame where the player can explore to try and complete objectives. A large amount of experience will be gained for completing the objectives, and far less will be awarded if the player does not.
The city was released alongside four accompanying quests, The Jack of Spades, Crocodile Tears, Our Man in the North, and 'Phite Club. More lore is revealed throughout City Quests, where Menaphos citizens ask the player to assist them.
Players (including ironmen) received 5% extra experience for all experience gained in the city until 5 August 2017. This boost also worked in Sophanem's surface areas and the banking area, and in Sophanem Slayer Dungeon.
A reputation system gives rewards for each of the four sectors of the city. A faction can be selected by clicking the progress icons that appear while in Menaphos.
The Menaphos journal lists some tasks that can be completed for the library.
- The Lodestone Network can be used to teleport players directly to the centre of the city. Alternatively, players can use the Bandit Camp lodestone and then walk south.
- Charter to the north-western dock in the Port district for 1,500 coins.
- By speaking to Quartermaster Gully on any of the islands in The Arc, but only if the player embarked from Menaphos initially.
- The Pharaoh's Sceptre can teleport the player directly to the Golden Palace. Jalkabir is the pyramid's name for Pharaoh's sceptre/Sceptre of the gods teleports.
- The Pharaoh's Sceptre can teleport players directly inside the Pyramid Plunder minigame in neighbouring Sophanem.
- The master camouflage outfit can teleport players outside of the Pyramid Plunder minigame.
- The magic carpet system can be used to travel near Menaphos from Pollnivneach and vice-versa.
- Fairy Ring code CKQ is near the fountain behind the Golden Palace.
- Fairy Ring code DLQ is some distance away in the desert, poor but still available.
- The Camulet can teleport players to Enakhra's Temple, which can be found underground just north of Menaphos.
- Nature's sentinel outfit can teleport players to acadia trees.
- Player-owned house portal is in the Port district north-east of Kags.
- After 'Phite Club you can now travel from Sophanem to Menaphos via the bridge.
The bridge between Menaphos and Sophanem has been moved slightly south since the update, and is still closed off. Access to Menaphos can still be gained through the above, but when using the Pharaoh's Sceptre and the master camouflage outfit you will have to travel out of the gates and either travel to the bridge crossing the river or take a carpet ride from Sophanem to Southern Pollnivneach and back to Menaphos.
Travel between the four districts of Menaphos can be simplified by using a right-click interface on the entrance of the Shifting Tombs found in each district.
Prior to an update on 3 July 2017, a right click will give the option of "Quick travel Shifting tombs". Five options were available including entering the Shifting Tombs and quick travel to the entrance of each district's Shifting Tombs entrance.
Menaphos is a mid-level hub city like Prifddinas, with skilling methods offering higher rewards coming at a greater risk. The city is made up of four main areas, each being roughly the size of Port Sarim, arranged around a pyramid and plaza.
Skilling in the city introduces several new skilling resources, including:
- Acadia trees at level 47 Woodcutting
- Pickpocketing and thieving from stalls at level 47 Thieving (level 20 silk stall)
- Desert soles, catfish, and beltfish with 52, 60, 72 Fishing and Cooking, respectively
- Concentrated sandstone rocks at level 50 Mining (Level 1 Clay, not gaining reputation)
- Plover birds at level 73 Hunter
The Merchant district is located in the northeast area of Menaphos, accessed through the main doors to the city. There are the city doors to the north, Workers District to the west, and main plaza and lodestone to the south. Its Faction leader is Grand Vizier Ehsan (Merchant). It features:
- Grand Vizier Ehsan (Merchant) and Grand Vizier Hassan in the southwestern corner of the district.
- Assistant Librarian Subotai next to the Bank Deposit box near the center of the district, who can give the player the Menaphos journal.
- Urluk the camel warrior near the center of the district, who gives the Palapa Cape for participating in activities around the city.
- Several Menaphite marketeers for pickpocketing.
- A Silk stall, Gem Trader, Lamp stall, General Store (Menaphos), Fish trader, Nefertari's Bread Stall, and Loyalty Programme Shop run by Wafa in the eastern market.
- An entrance to Shifting Tombs in the centre of the market.
- The Merchant district musician outside the entrance to Shifting Tombs.
- Azibo, who stores Treasure Hunter and holiday items, similar to Diango in Draynor Village, can be found in the south-east part of the market place.
- Bank stalls and access to the Grand Exchange after completion of The Jack of Spades in the southeast.
- A Bank deposit box unlocked at Tier 2 Merchant reputation and a Bank chest unlocked at Tier 6.
- A Summoning obelisk north of the Lamp stall.
- A shoe store run by Qaseem, just north of the market place.
- Several water sources and various NPCs.
- Commander Akhomet (Imperial) at the bottom of the stairs to the Golden Palace.
- Twelve acadia trees, eight in the main courtyard and four within the VIP skilling area to the north.
- The VIP skilling area, unlockable at Tier 7 Menaphos reputation.
- Entrance to the Golden Palace throne room with The Pharaoh, Ambassador Jabari, and other NPCs.
- Entrance to the Grand Library of Menaphos, with Kohnen the librarian and the sundial for the Golden Path Challenge.
- A bank deposit box unlocked at Tier 2 Imperial reputation and a bank chest unlocked at Tier 6.
- An entrance to Shifting Tombs in the southern side of the district.
- Residential terraces to the southwest of the Golden Palace, with ranges, the Imperial district musician, and various citizens.
- A cactus patch north-east of the Golden Palace. This patch must be created before use.
- 'Admiral' Wadud (Ports) in the Golden Scarab Inn at the center of the district. Serves Squeck juice for 10 coins.
- Makhredrup and Raja the Acheron mammoth near the stairs into the district.
- Meena's Fishing Shop near the stairs into the district.
- Quartermaster Gully and the crew for travel to The Arc and Uncharted Isles on the northeastern docks.
- Two fishing spots for Desert sole, Catfish, and Beltfish at the southeastern docks.
- A Bank deposit box unlocked at Tier 2 Port reputation and a Bank chest unlocked at Tier 6.
- Furnaces, anvils, spinning wheels, and looms around the centre of the district.
- The Golden Scarab Inn, with 'Admiral' Wadud (Ports), the Pub musician, and a bartender.
- An entrance to Shifting Tombs south of the Golden Scarab Inn.
- A Player-owned port portal on the southern dock.
- Trader Crewmembers on the northwestern dock.
- The Port district musician on the western residential terrace.
- Portmaster Kags who runs a ferry to Pollnivneach, Sunken Pyramid, Nardah, Heart of Gielinor, Dominion Tower, Crondis's Pyramid, Exiled Kalphite Hive and the Jalsavrah Pyramid on the southwestern dock.
- A Player-owned house portal on the docks beside Portmaster Kags.
- Batal (Worker) near the centre of the district, next to the bonfire.
- A quarry with concentrated sandstone and clay rocks.
- A furnace, anvil, bonfire, and pottery oven around the centre of the district.
- The Worker district musician next to the bonfire.
- A Bank deposit box unlocked at Tier 2 Worker reputation and a Bank chest unlocked at Tier 6.
- An entrance to Shifting Tombs in the southwest of the district.
- A water source outside the entrance to Shifting Tombs and various NPCs.
- A range to the south of the district.
- Stairs leading down to the beach, lined with tents, boats, and an altar.
The Main Plaza is in the centre of the city, with the Merchant district to the north, Imperial district to the west, and Port district to the south. There is no associated faction to this area. It features:
- The Menaphos Lodestone.
- A gate to the bridge over the River Elid to Sophanem.
- Coenus the gatekeeper.
- Several Menaphite guards.
- Several Menaphite citizens.
- A large statue of The Pharaoh.
- Challenge Mistress Rashida, who can be found north-east of the Lodestone, gives out Daily Challenges similar to Challenge Mistress Fara.
- An Impling collector on the east side of the statue of the Pharaoh, who can allow players that have obtained rank 4 in the overall Menaphos reputation to toggle which implings and Guthixian butterflies they want to have appear.
The following quests may be started in Menaphos:
Distractions and DiversionsEdit
- Soul obelisks - a dangerous activity that yields up to 20k reputation daily along with Runecrafting and Prayer experience.
- Jewels of the Elid - activity is started by talking to Assistant Librarian Subotai in the Merchant district. For finding all jewels listed in the Menaphos journal the player is rewarded a Jewelled Scarab pet and a reputation reward in the form of the precious rhinestone cow.
- Cats of Menaphos - activity is started by talking to Assistant Librarian Subotai in the Merchant district. Finding all of the cats listed in the Menaphos journal unlocks the Cat hat cosmetic override and a reputation reward in the form of the Purrn of previous postcat.
- Insects of the Desert - activity is started by talking to Assistant Librarian Subotai in the Merchant district.
- Corrupted Scarabs - a dangerous activity that yields reputation and Slayer experience. They appear around Shifting Tombs entrances and outside the Sophanem Slayer Dungeon.
The Second Age saw a rise in power of the Menaphites, a group of humans that had settled in the Kharidian Desert during the dawn of humanity. The Menaphites played large roles in the construction and management of numerous settlements within the desert, including Sophanem, Ullek and Uzer.
The God Wars that scarred Gielinor during the Third Age brought great battle to the Kharidian Desert. Uzer was destroyed by the Elder-Demon Thammaron and Ullek fell shortly afterwards to Balfrug Kreeyath. To worsen matters, exiled followers of the fallen god Zaros were forced into the desert, where they wreaked havoc amongst the local populace. The only surviving cities were Menaphos and Sophanem, which were, at the time, little more than small Menaphite camps. The refugees from the destroyed settlements fled to Menaphos and Sophanem, where they contributed to the cities' prosperity. By the Fourth Age, the twin cities were amongst the largest in the world.
Menaphos held a large deal of political power within the Kharidian Desert, being the only city with any real strength; the only other settlements were small towns and camps such as Nardah and Pollnivneach. Menaphos went to war with Al Kharid for some time, but little is known of this.
After the end of the Menaphos - Al Kharid war, it was believed that Menaphos would open its gates to the rest of Gielinor. This, however, was not the case, due to the many plagues set upon Sophanem by Amascut. To prevent the spread of the plague, Menaphos closed its gates immediately. Many of the citizens of Sophanem were trapped inside, and any attempts by the Sophanites to negotiate with Menaphos were met with violence.
The city's closure was met with a great deal of resistance from the city's slaves, who rioted when they discovered that the slaves in Sophanem were no longer working because of the plagues. The riots were stamped out by the city's guards quickly.
Reports show that the city is cutting off ocean-based trade in the Southern Sea, suggesting that the city is attempting to become more independent.
Menaphos has made attempts to put one of their own leaders on the throne of Al Kharid under the guise of offering stability to the city while the Emir and Prince Ali are absent, including assassinating the Emir and kidnapping the prince. These attempts have failed however. Amascut has revealed herself to be influential in these events, and it is unknown to what extent the pharaoh of Menaphos is aware of her involvement.
Just before Menaphos was released, Jagex launched pre-release material:
- The Menaphos Insiders programme.
- The release of a website dedicated to Menaphos on 24 April.
- Addition of the in-game sundial teaser on 24 April and associated Golden Path Challenge.
- Competitions including naming of the Menaphos pub  and creation of a player-written book for the Menaphos library.
- Menaphos is an anagram of Sophanem, being spelt nearly backwards except for the ph being swapped for ease of pronunciation.
- It is probably based on the ancient Egyptian capital city of Memphis. It could also be based on Alexandria, an Egyptian port which also contained a grand library.
- Due to an update on 26 September 2012 the full city of Menaphos was filled in on the World Map.
- After an update on 9 August 2011, one was able to open the northern gate to Menaphos, however one could only move one game square into the city. This has since been patched.
|Golden Path Challenge|
|Countdown to Menaphos||