Melee is one of the three combat styles in RuneScape. It involves using swords, daggers, and other weapons to damage opponents, as well as wearing heavy armour made from various metals. Players who specialize in this type of combat are known as warriors.
Melee's inability to attack from a distance means that a player may have a hard time fighting a Ranger or Mage, as they can make use of safespots. However, Melee has a high resistance to Ranged, giving warriors a defensive advantage over rangers.
Popularity of melee combatEdit
Melee was more than twice as popular than magic and ranged combat combined, generating 59% of users votes in January 2007, but since the Evolution of Combat was released, magic, ranged and melee have more equal popularity. This is likely because each monster has gained their own weaknesses which can make melee ineffective against certain monsters. For example, using melee slashing attacks instead of ranged bolt attacks on Black demons will deal less damage per second due to reduced accuracy.
Crush weapons are weapons that deal crush damage. These weapons will deal extra damage to monsters with a specific weakness to crush attacks, and slightly less damage to any monster with any melee weakness. As with all melee weapons, they deal average damage against monsters with a weakness to magic, and poor damage to monsters weak to ranged. Crush has the fewest weapon types devoted to it.
Stab weapons are weapons that deal stab damage. These weapons will do extra damage to those monsters with a specific weakness to stab attacks, and slightly less damage to those monsters with any melee weakness. As with all melee weapons, they deal average damage against monsters with a weakness to magic, and poor damage to monsters weak to ranged.
Slash weapons are weapons that deal slash damage. These weapons will do extra damage to those monsters with a specific weakness to slash attacks, and slightly less damage to those monsters with any melee weakness. As with all melee weapons, they deal poor damage against monsters with a weakness to magic, and strong damage to monsters weak to ranged.
To the right of the Inventory button is the Equipment menu. From here, players can view their combat stats. Melee weapons increase in accuracy as the tier increases; the tier defined by the minimum Attack level required to wield the weapon. The general trend is that Melee weapons of the same tier have the same accuracy value. Most melee armour does not hinder the accuracy of Melee weapons, nor does it improve Melee accuracy directly as a direct increase to damage or accuracy statistics. Wearing power armour, certain jewellery, and other accessories will increase the player's style bonus for melee, which carries a damage bonus. However, wearing a piece of Ranged or Magic armour will reduce this style bonus, making melee combat less effective.
Players can also use Melee prayers such as Piety to improve Melee combat.
Attack determines the accuracy of a player's melee attacks and the types of weapons a player may wield. The higher the Attack level, the fewer misses a player will incur during melee combat. As Attack is a vital skill in melee combat, increasing one's Attack level will increase one's combat level associated with melee.
Strength is a melee combat skill which increases the amount of damage a player can inflict in melee combat by one point per level. Additionally, Strength may be required to wield certain weapons and armour, access some Agility shortcuts, and complete several quests.
Defence is one of the primary combat skills that grants players protection in all forms of combat. The higher the Defence level, the fewer successful blows an opponent will land against the player. Defence is thus a vital skill for enduring attacks for long periods of time. A player's Defence level also determines which equipment they are able to wear, as most pieces of armour or other equipment have a Defence level requirement. Defence increases the ability to block attacks. The higher the Defence level the less damage received against monsters and players.
Melee weapons fit into many general categories. No type is superior to others, as they vary in attack style and speed/damage. In general, weapons of the same tier have the same damage per second ratio, with two handed weapons dealing approximately 50% more per second.
Most melee weapons can be fit into categories by their attack speed and whether or not they are one-handed or two-handed. Many melee weapons also have an off-hand equivalent which can be equipped to allow the use of dual-wield abilities and will bring up the player's DPS to match that of two-handed weapons.
Fastest speed, one-handedEdit
- All weapons of this speed attack between 2.4 second intervals (4 ticks) and have the same damage value. They only effectively vary for monster weaknesses, or in the case of Dragon weaponry their special attacks - a notable exception being the Rune claw and its off-hand counterpart, which have a special attack when used together.
- The dagger is a stab-type melee weapons and are typically the cheapest of all melee weapons compared to weapons of the same metal or type. This is so because prior to the Evolution of Combat, daggers were the weakest and generally less accurate than other weapons of their type, even compared to those of the same speed such as the scimitar. However, unlike other weapons, they were able to be poisoned.
- Scimitars are slash-type melee weapons and are generally the most popular overall compared to other melee weapons of their speed. Prior to the Evolution of Combat they were among the most popular weapons, as they were close in power to longswords of their tier while being faster by one tick.
- Claws are slash-type melee weapons. They are equivalent to scimitars in every aspect, though are not as popular due to being rarer to come across. When combined with their off-hand equivalents the rune claw and the dragon claw are capable of performing a special attack.
- Whips are generally higher-level weapons and are equivalent to scimitars. The abyssal whip is a very popular weapon for its affordability and effectiveness.
- The mace is a crush-type melee weapon and does not share the popularity of the dagger or the scimitar although they carry a Prayer bonus. Their unpopularity is attributed to the fact that they previously had an attack speed that was slow for its strength bonus usually equivalent to swords of their type, making them outclassed by other types of weapons.
Fast speed, one-handedEdit
- All weapons of this speed attack between 3 second intervals (5 ticks) and have the same damage value.
- The sword is a stab-type melee weapon and are generally unpopular. Prior to the Evolution of Combat they were generally left unused due to being weaker than scimitars although they had the ability to use both slash and stab attacks rather effectively.
- Rapiers are an uncommon weapon type that are equivalent to swords. They exist mostly in Dungeoneering.
- Hastae are one-handed spears that are equivalent to swords except for the fact that they lack off-hand equivalents. Prior to the Evolution of Combat they were able to be poisoned, and like their two-handed counterparts could also accept karambwan poison as well.
- The longsword is a fairly popular slash-type melee weapon. They were relatively popular before the Evolution of Combat as well and were often compared to the scimitar in terms of effectiveness.
Intended for Woodcutting/Mining. It is not recommended to use either Hatchets or Pickaxes as weapons, as their damage-per-second is halved relative to other weapons of their level.
Average speed, one-handedEdit
- All weapons of this speed attack between 3.6 second intervals (6 ticks) and have the same damage value.
- Battleaxes are slash-type melee weapons. Prior to the Evolution of Combat they were relatively unpopular due to their slow speed although they had a very high Strength bonus compared to other one-handed weapons of their type.
- Warhammers are crush-type melee weapons. They are rather uncommon and are relatively unpopular. Prior to the Evolution of Combat this was so due to the fact that they were slow weapons limited to crushing attacks yet were only as powerful as longswords.
Average speed, two-handedEdit
- All weapons of this speed attack between 3.6 second intervals (6 ticks), bar the use of a shield or off-hand weapon, and have the same damage value.
- Spears are stab-type melee weapons. They were unpopular before the Evolution of Combat for having a low Strength bonus for being two-handed weapons with a lower-than-average attack speed. They were, however, able to be poisoned and could also accept karambwan poison.
- Two-handed swords are slash-type melee weapons. They were rather popular before the Evolution of Combat due to their high strength bonuses albeit at the cost of having a very slow weapon speed.
Warriors have their own sets of armour made out of various metals. Melee armour is resistant to ranged but weak against magic. A list of armour types is in the table below. Visit melee armour for more specific information.
Set totals include full helmet, platebody, platelegs/plateskirt, and kiteshield whenever possible.
|40||Elite black armour||Yes||347||0||0||35||No|
|40||Corrupt Vesta's equipment||Yes||583||0||0||44||15 minutes in combat then degrades to dust|
|40||Corrupt Statius's equipment||Yes||842||0||0||60||15 minutes in combat then degrades to dust|
|60||Corrupt dragon armour||915||0||0||0||30 minutes worn then degrades to dust|
|65||Third-age warrior armour||Yes||1101||0||0||0||No|
|70||Barrows armour||Yes||964||0||0||0||15 Hours in Combat|
|78||Vesta's equipment||Yes||865||0||0||55||1 hour worn then degrades to dust|
|78||Statius's equipment||Yes||1249||0||0||75||1 hour worn then degrades to dust|
|80||80||Torva armour||Yes||1267||495||11||99||10 hours in Combat|
|80||Anima Core of Zaros||Yes||1099||0||0||75||No|
|85||Refined Anima Core of Zaros||Yes||1249||0||0||80||Degrades back to the unrefined version after 100,000 charges of combat|
|85||85||Tetsu armour||Yes||1347||1260||0||0||10 hours then degrades to dust|
|85||85||Superior Tetsu armour||Yes||1414||1440||7||0||12 hours in combat (repairable)|
|85||85 &||Battle-mage armour||Yes||1802||1300||0||0||No|
|85||85 &||Vanguard armour||Yes||1630||1440||0||0||No|
|90||Malevolent armour||Yes||1414||0||7||86||100,000 hits then degrades to dust|
A shield is a protective item wielded in the off-hand slot. A shield adds substantial bonuses to armour and to life points when wielded, and unlocks the use of some Defence abilities. The information below (and more) can be found on the shields page.
Each type of metal in RuneScape, from bronze to dragon, has a square shield and a kiteshield. Prior to the Evolution of Combat, the two types of shields were more distinct, giving slightly different defensive bonuses. Now, however, square shields give slightly lower armour bonuses than kiteshields, though with the same life point bonuses. Square shields also tend to be slightly less expensive than kiteshields. Square shields and kiteshields, with the exception of the dragon sq shield and dragon kiteshield, can be made through the Smithing skill. In the interest of brevity, only kiteshields are listed below.
|Anti-dragon shield||1||30||0||Provides strong protection versus dragonfire attacks.|
|White kiteshield||25||76||0||+1 Prayer bonus. Requires completion of Wanted! in order to wield.|
|Spirit shield||40 |
|125||0||+1 prayer bonus. Requires completion of Summer's End.|
|Adamant spikeshield||45||137||0||Obtained from Fist of Guthix. Degrades.|
|Adamant berserker shield||45||146||0|
|Rune spikeshield||55||185||0||Obtained from Fist of Guthix. Degrades.|
|Rune berserker shield||55||196||0|
|Granite shield||55 |
|Third-age kiteshield||65||259||0||Obtained extremely rarely from Treasure Trails.|
|Crystal shield||70 |
|297||35||Requires completion of Roving Elves. Degrades.|
|Bandos warshield||70||297||35||+1 prayer bonus.|
|Blessed spirit shield||70 |
|297||35||+3 prayer bonus. Requires completion of Summer's End.|
|Dragonfire shield||70||297||35||Provides protection from dragonfire as an anti-dragon shield. Must first be charged with dragonfire attacks in order to reach its highest armour bonus.|
|Divine spirit shield||75 |
|338||0||Absorbs 30% of incoming damage in exchange for draining 6% of the original hit in prayer points. Requires completion of Summer's End. This is currently the strongest non-degrading melee shield available.|
|Chaotic kiteshield||80 |
|384||385||Obtained from the rewards trader at Daemonheim. Degrades.|
|Attuned crystal shield||80 |
|384||385||Requires 90 to make with Crystal Singing. Requires completion of Plague's End. Degrades.|
|Malevolent kiteshield||90||491||735||This is currently the highest tier Melee shield available. Degrades.|
|Level to make||Notes|
|Attack potion (mix) (m)||Attack||1 + 8%||1 (4)||Mix version heals 30 life points.|
|Combat potion (mix) (m)||Attack and Strength||1 + 8%||36 (40)||Mix also heals 60 life points.|
|Super attack (mix) (m)||Attack||2 + 12%||45 (47)||Mix version heals 60 life points.|
|Zamorak brew (mix) (m)||Attack and Strength||1 + 8%||78 (85)||Decreases Defence by 1 + 8% and remaining life points by 35%.|
|Extreme attack (m)||Attack||3 + 15%||88||Non-tradeable.|
|Overload (m)||Attack, Strength, Defence, Ranged, and Magic||3 + 15% for 5 minutes||96||Non-tradeable.|
Note: The numbers in parentheses are only required for the mixes.
|Level to make||Notes|
|Cup of tea (m)||Attack||3||N/A||
Heals 200-300 life points as well. Non-tradeable.
|Red spicy stew (m)||Attack , Strength, Defence, Ranged, Magic||-5 to +5||25||The stew may boost or reduce levels by 1 to 5 points randomly. +5 boost are rare. Non-tradeable.|
|Cavefish (m)||Attack , Strength, Defence, Magic, or Ranged||2 2||88||Heals <a href="tel:200-1760">200-1760</a> life points.|
|Attack cape (m)||Attack||1||99||Requires Skill mastery to equip. Non-tradeable.|
|Dominion Marker||4-10||110 combat||Levels depend on your marker.|
|Level to use||Notes|
|Clarity of Thought||Attack||2%||7||Standard prayer.|
|Improved Reflexes||Attack||4%||16||Standard prayer.|
|Incredible Reflexes||Attack||6%||34||Standard Prayer.|
|Chivalry (m)||Attack, Strength, and Defence||7% Attack, 7% Defence, 7% Melee damage||60||Requires completion of the Camelot training room.|
|Piety (m)||Attack, Strength, and Defence||8% Attack, 8% Defence, 8% Melee damage||70||Requires completion of the Camelot training room.|
|Leech Attack (m)||Attack||2% Attack, increasing to 8% over time; -6% enemy Attack, increasing to -12% over time||74||Requires completion of The Temple at Senntisten.|
|Turmoil (m)||Attack, Strength, and Defence||10% Attack, 10% Defence, 10% Melee damage; -9% enemy Attack, Defence, and Melee damage, increasing to -15% over time||95||Requires completion of The Temple at Senntisten.|
|Level to obtain||Notes|
|Ruby Harvest (m)||Attack||20%||15||Boost affects the player it is used on.|
|Black mask (m)||Attack and Strength||12.5% Melee accuracy and Melee damage||58||Boost only applies when fighting monsters assigned by a Slayer Master.|
|Dragon Slayer Gloves (m)||Attack||10%||70||Boost only applies when fighting dragons assigned by a Slayer Master. Boost stacks with Black Mask|
|Level to make||Notes|
|Strength potion (or mix (m))||Strength||1 + 8%||12 (14)||Mix version heals 30 life points.|
|Combat potion (m) (or mix (m))||Strength and Attack||1 + 8%||36 (40)||Mix also heals 60 life points.|
|Super strength (m) (or mix (m))||Strength||2 + 12%||55 (59)||Mix version heals 60 life points.|
|Zamorak brew (m) (or mix (m))||Strength and Attack||1 + 8% (Strength), 2 + 20% (Attack)||78 (85)||Decreases Defence and remaining life points by 2 + 10% (Mix reduces life points by 10% - (10 to 40)).|
|Extreme strength potion (m)||Strength||3 + 15%||89||Not tradeable.|
|Overload (m)||Strength, Attack, Defence, Ranged, and Magic||Constant boost of 3 + 15% for 5 minutes||96||Not tradeable.|
|Level to make||Notes|
|Wizard blizzard/Premade wiz blz'd (m)||Strength||6||18||Lowers Attack by 4.|
|Short green guy/Premade sgg (m)||Strength||4||20||Lowers Attack by 3.|
|Asgarnian ale (m)||Strength||2||24||Lowers Attack by 4.|
|Red spicy stew (m)||Strength, Attack, Defence, Ranged, Magic||-6 to 6||25||The stew may boost or reduce levels by 1 to 6 points randomly. +6 boost are extremely rare.|
|Drunk dragon/Premade dr' dragon (m)||Strength||7||32||Lowers Attack by 4.|
|Blurberry special/Premade blurb' sp. (m)||Strength||7||37||Lowers Attack by 5.|
|Dragon bitter (m)||Strength||2||39||Lowers Attack by 1.|
|Cavefish (m)||Strength, Attack, Defence, Magic, or Ranged||2 2||88||Heals 200 life points.|
|Level to obtain||Notes|
|Beer||Strength||2||N/A||Lowers Attack by 4.|
|Tankard of beer (m)||Strength||2||N/A||Lowers Attack by 4.|
|Keg of beer (m)||Strength||10||N/A||Lowers Attack by 40.|
|Grog (m)||Strength||3||N/A||Lowers Attack by 6.|
|Braindeath 'rum'||Strength, Mining||3||N/A||Also decreases Attack, Defence, Prayer, Magic, Agility and Herblore by 5%.|
|Volcanic strength scroll (m)||Strength||9||73||Special attack of the obsidian golem.|
|Strength cape (m)||Strength||1||99||Requires Skill mastery to equip.|
|Level to use||Notes|
|Burst of Strength||Strength||2% Melee damage||4||Standard Prayer.|
|Superhuman Strength||Strength||4% Melee damage||13||Standard Prayer.|
|Ultimate Strength||Strength||6% Melee damage||31||Standard Prayer.|
|Chivalry (m)||Strength, Attack, and Defence||7% Attack, 7% Defence, 7% Melee damage||60||Requires completion of the Camelot training room.|
|Piety (m)||Strength, Attack, and Defence||8% Attack, 8% Defence, 8% Melee damage||70||Requires completion of the Camelot training room.|
|Leech Strength (m)||Strength||2% Melee damage, increasing to 8% over time; -6% enemy Melee damage, increasing to -12% over time||82||Requires completion of The Temple at Senntisten.|
|Turmoil (m)||Strength, Attack, and Defence||10% Attack, 10% Defence, 10% Melee damage; -9% enemy Attack, Defence, and Melee damage, increasing to -15% over time||95||Requires completion of The Temple at Senntisten.|
|Level to obtain (without trading)||Notes|
|Black Warlock (m)||Strength||20%||45||Boost affects the player it is used on.|
|Black mask (m)||Strength; Attack||15%||58||Boost only applies when fighting monsters assigned by a Slayer Master.|
|Wretched Strength (Dharok's set effect) (m)||Strength||(Max - current life points) * 0.1%||70; 70; 70||Full set must be worn for special effect to take place.|
Melee capes of accomplishmentEdit
- Free-to-play Melee training
- Pay-to-play Melee training
- Pure Melee training
- Magical melee
- Grand Exchange Market Watch/Melee armour
- Grand Exchange Market Watch/Melee weapons