Mazchna is a low-level Slayer master located in north-eastern Canifis, very near the Canifis lodestone. He will give slayer assignments to any player with a combat level of 20 or above. Mazchna is noted for usually giving assignments close to his area.
Mazchna is a demon by race; he is the only known demon Slayer Master, apart from Achtryn, his temporary replacement during the quest While Guthix Sleeps. Mazchna became very skilled in combat and Slayer, and eventually became a Slayer master. Mazchna chased away all the other demons in Morytania, gaining a Slayer master monopoly in the area. Mazchna, unlike some other demons, strives to be good.
Fighting Lucien's undead armyEdit
Mazchna fought in the Skirmish at the Chaos Temple; he is one of a band of eight heroes who attempts to save the player from Lucien after the player's identity is compromised. It is seen during the battle that Mazchna has a combat level of 197. Mazchna is one of only two among them (along with Harrallak Menarous) to survive the ensuing battle. Because he, like the other survivor, was fighting the undead that Lucien raised rather than Lucien himself armed with the powerful Staff of Armadyl, Lucien did not cast his spell on them. All six who attacked Lucien directly perished. In any event, Mazchna is not invulnerable and appeared to be seriously injured during the battle. Immediately after the battle, he teleported away to his normal spot in Canifis.
- 2 slayer points per normal task
- 5 for every 10th
- 15 for every 50th
This means that if using Mazchna over the long term, an average of 2.5 points will be granted per task.
However, he is not recommended to use for every 10th and 50th task. Using Kuradal, Duradel or even Sumona for these tasks gives a greatly increased amount of points. For example, Duradel gives 75 points for completing a 10th task and 225 points for a 50th task. Kuradal gives even more points: 90 for every 10th task, and 270 points for every 50th task.
After the release of Smoking Kills, Mazchna became one of the most popular slayer masters, even among higher-level players in pursuit of slayer reward points. Because Mazchna's tasks are easy to complete by high-level players, a player can accomplish the first 9 tasks with ease and then use a higher level master like Kuradal or Duradel for tasks which are a multiple of ten, thereby gaining easy Slayer reward points.
|Assignment||Amount||Monster||Combat||Slayer experience||Slayer level required||Weighting|
|Mighty banshee||91||85||35 (Quest)|
|Grizzly bear cub||29||?|
|Angry bear ||35||14.4|
|Cave crawler||Cave crawler||53||25.8||10||20|
|Cave slime||Cave slime||26||11.4||17||10|
|Cave slime (Daemonheim)||44||?|
|Crawling hand||Crawling hand||11||8||5||20|
|Skeletal hand||70||63.5||31 (Quest)|
|Desert lizards||40-70||Desert Lizard||35||14||22||10|
|Flesh crawlers||Flesh crawler||39||17.5||1||10|
|Ghost||48||20 / ?|
|Tortured soul (Port Phasmatys)||53||40.4|
|Revenant dark beast||112||256|
|Hill Giants||40-70||Hill Giant||44||39||1||10|
|Ice warriors||Ice warrior||54||27||1||10|
|Exiled kalphite worker||75||109.8|
|Exiled kalphite paragon||84||140|
|Exiled kalphite soldier||84||147|
|Exiled kalphite guardian||98||229|
|Exiled kalphite marauder||98||240.4|
|Exiled kalphite marauder||107||229|
|Exiled Kalphite Queen||356||2055|
|Skeletons||Skeleton (Melzar's Maze)||12||?||1||10|
|Skeleton (Lumbridge Catacombs)||15||8|
|Skeleton (Tarn's Lair)||45||?|
|Skeleton||49,51,53,54,58||22 - 25|
|Skeletal hand||70||63.5||31 (Quest)|
|Skeleton (Tarn's Lair)||70-72||?|
|Skeleton (Tarn's Lair)||77||?|
|Skeleton (Ape Atoll)||78||112|
|Skeleton (Tarn's Lair)||79||?|
|Giant skeleton (Tarn's Lair)||84||?|
|Giant skeleton (Shadow Dungeon)||84||?|
|Giant skeleton (Daemonheim)||varies||?|
|Wall beasts||10-20||Wall beast||47||27||35||15|
|Wolves||40-70||White wolf (Burthorpe)||5||6.8||1||10|
|Adolescent White wolf||8||6|
- ^ Also includes the one-time killable Banshee Champion.
- ^ Although the quest monster counts, the kills are limited and it does not give slayer experience.
- ^ It is also possible to kill the Monstrous cave crawler, although this can only be done once
- ^ Also includes the monsters Skeleton warlock, Skeleton Champion, Skeleton (Temple Trekking), Skeleton (Smoking Kills), Skeleton (Draynor Manor), Skeleton (Demon Slayer)
- ^ Only ingame during certain (seasonal) events
Many slayer monsters have numerous variants of the monster assigned. Please check the monster's page for more specific information about the different variants.
After a player has performed several slayer tasks for Mazchna, he will occasionally offer a special task in place of a regular slayer task. The player can decline to take the special task without penalty. If the player accepts the special task, completing the task:
- Earns 2000 Slayer exp (no experience is earned during the task itself).
- Earns 3 Slayer reward points, if the player has completed the Smoking Kills quest, beyond the normal points received for a task from Mazchna.
- Counts as a task for the player's consecutive task count, which is used for slayer reward points.
- C•K•S near Canifis (a safe area until Mazchna is contacted)
- A•L•Q in the Haunted Woods (vampyres and leeches are present).
- B•K•R in the Mort Myre Swamp (ghasts and the Mort Myre Swamp effect are present; a blessed silver sickle and druid pouches are recommended).
At each ring, the player must contact Mazchna using an enchanted gem. If the player does not have a gem in inventory when the task is assigned, Mazchna will give the player a gem for free (even if the player has an enchanted gem in the bank). However, Mazchna will not give the player a gem if the player's inventory is full (and still won't if the player later returns with an empty inventory slot and speaks to him about the task again).
The player does not have to use the fairy ring transport network; simply walking to the rings is sufficient. When near a ring, the player activates the enchanted gem to contact Mazchna. The player does not get the usual choices when the gem is activated (if the usual choices appear, then the player is not near enough to the ring).
The three monsters you have to fight are a ravenous snail (level 49) at ring B•K•R, a ravenous ghoul (level 70) at ring C•K•S, and a ravenous vampyre (level 91) at ring A•L•Q. The fairy rings can be done in any order.
The player does not have to finish the conversation with Mazchna after each kill, they can go to the next fairy ring immediately after killing one monster.
The percentage chance of getting assigned a given slayer task can be calculated using the formula
where is the task's weight and is the sum of all weights for the particular slayer master. Note that the weights of all blocked tasks, as well as tasks toggled off have to be subtracted from the sum . Preferring a task doubles its chance of being assigned.
- At one point, an image in the Knowledge Base showed a character doing Desert Treasure while wielding a sword very similar to Mazchna's. The image has since been removed. With the release of Smoking Kills, the leaf bladed sword was released, which is similar to the one that Mazchna is wielding.
- It seems that Mazchna is wearing an adamant helm along with an adamant platebody and adamant platelegs.
- In Postbag from the Hedge 17, Mazchna revealed that he is a demon, and that he chased all other demons in Morytania away so that he would guarantee his Slayer Master monopoly in the region.
- For a time after a player completed While Guthix Sleeps, when Mazchna gave tips to the player, his name would appear as slayer_master_2_multi_wounded, whereas before it was just slayer_master_2_multi. This has since been fixed.
- With the release of the Festival for the Dead, Mazchna received a graphical update.