The Marathon is an event available during the 2012 Gielinor Games. It is set all around Gielinor. The aim is to run through all of the checkpoints and complete the course as quickly as possible. The Marathon does not run all the time on all worlds, but it is announced through the in-game chat box on all servers. There are currently 3 known Marathon courses. Players will recieve constitution xp and contribution points, based on how fast they complete the marathon.
Many players expressed confusion about the Marathon, expecting Jagex Moderators to host the event. In actuality, the event commences itself without any action by Jagex Moderators. The worlds/times for the marathons have been standardised so far. The marathons seem to occur on the same worlds at the same time everyday. Therefore it is easy to prepare ahead of time if you know the worlds and times.
|Marathon||Checkpoints||Start point||Finish point|
|Edgeville||15 (m)||Near the Edgeville Lodestone. Warning: The whole marathon is in Wilderness||Near Edgeville in the wilderness|
|Varrock||15||South of Varrock Lumber Yard by the Saradomin statue||South of Varrock Lumber Yard by the Saradomin statue|
|Morytania||18 (m)||The steps leading up to Fenkenstrain's Castle||Tree Gnome Stronghold|
(m) = members only
Running a Marathon
When a message in the chatbox says that the race has started, pass through the starting checkpoint (a pair of large torches, also known as gates), and a yellow arrow will appear on your minimap indicating where the next checkpoint is. As you pass through each checkpoint in order, you will receive a red bannered message in the middle of your screen accompanied by applause and cheers or booing. The magnitude of the cheers will tell you if your pace is excellent or just average. If you miss a checkpoint there will be "boo-ing" from the audience.
Since the marathon tracks checkpoints, direct running/walking is not strictly required. Teleportation can be used to speed up legs. Try to visualise the route before the race and work out where teleports may save time. Remember to bring your teleport items with you.
Weight reducing clothing, energy potions or the Explorer Ring for its energy replenish ability, the Surefooted aura, or bathing in the saltwater spar in Oo'glog before the race (after completion of As a First Resort...) are all recommended.
The obvious strategy to minimize clicking while running a marathon is to try and follow a good runner. Look for players wearing weight reducing clothing, such as agile armour, spottier cape, boots of lightness, etc.
The marathon checkpoints stay active for a long time and as such, one may participate in the same event more than once. The best way to get the maximum xp/points per time is to complete the marathon as fast as possible, then reset the gate and start again. Doing this until the gates disappear guarantees that you get the most out of the marathon.
Worlds and Times
- 2am UTC - World 1
- 5am UTC - World 2 ** (see notes)
- 9am UTC - World 8
- 11am UTC - World 8
- 1pm UTC - World 1
- 5pm UTC - World 2
- 9pm UTC - World 8
- 10pm UTC - World 1
.**NOTE: on first of August @4:30am world 3 was announced as "in 30 minutes" but 29 minutes later the one minute warning was announced to be, and subsequently held, on World 2
Start: Varrock Saradomin statue
- Varrock east entrance
- By Ali the Leaflet Dropper
- Next to the Lumbridge cow field (tele to Lumby)
- Entrance to Lumbridge Swamp (again tele to Lumby)
- The south-west Lumbridge Swamp mine
- Draynor Village southern entrance (tele to Draynor Village)
- Crossroads south of Falador (CabbagePort)
- By the mercenary camp (tele to Falador)
- By the Dwarven Mine
- By the Monastery (prob run, edgeville tele prob too far away)
- Edgeville (listen to musician if needed then run, edgeville tele too close)
- Northern gate to Varrock (get run energy to 100, you are running the rest of the way)
- North of the Lumber Yard
- Immediately south of the Lumber Yard
Finish: Varrock Saradomin statue
- When trying to get through the Al Kharid toll gate, do not click on the gate as it would be almost impossible to get through this way with dozens of players spam clicking on it. Talk to a border guard to get through.(or tele to Lumby and run back to pen)
- Teleports may be used for some checkpoints. For example, South Falador Teleport may be used to get from checkpoint 6 to 7. Falador Teleport (use the tablet if using South Falador Teleport, which is a Lunar spell) or the lodestone counterpart may be used to get from checkpoint 7 to 8. A combat bracelet may be used to get from checkpoint 9 to 10 (not very far between, though). An amulet of glory may be used to get from checkpoint 10 to 11 (not very far between either). A Lumber yard teleport scroll cuts time between checkpoints 12 and 13.
Worlds and Times
It could be held on world 124 or 137, both of which are High Risk Wilderness Worlds.
Start: Near the Edgeville lodestone
- North-east corner of the Dark Warriors' Fortress.
- East side of the Western Ruins.
- The Forgotten Cemetery.
- West of the Lava Maze.
- South of the Wilderness Agility Course, inside the members' area.
- Entrance to the Mage Arena.
- Entrance to the Rogues' Castle.
- North of the Ghostly piper.
- The Demonic Ruins.
- The Wilderness North Volcano.
- The Eastern Ruins.
- The Wilderness Volcano.
- The Chaos Temple.
- North of the Edgeville Lodestone in the Wilderness, just across the Wilderness Wall. (At this point, you should use your Home Teleport to teleport to Edgeville, as it will be faster than running to this checkpoint.)
Worlds and Times
7am UTC time
Start: Steps of Fenkenstrain's Castle
|1||South of Port Phasmatys||Ectophial Teleport|
|2||In the centre of Canifis||Kharyrll Teleport|
|3||The bridge going over the River Salve|
|4||Near the trapdoor going down to the Paterdomus temple (Varrock Side)|
|5||In the Digsite||Digsite Pendant, Senntisten Teleport|
|6||Near Ali the Leaflet Dropper, entrance to the desert from the north|
|7||Next to the Al Kharid lodestone||Al Kharid Home Teleport, Amulet of Glory|
|9||Southern Draynor entrance||Amulet of Glory|
|10||Southern entrance to Falador||Explorer's Ring Cabbageport|
|11||West of the Mercenary camp||Falador Home Teleport|
|12||White Wolf Mountain
, east of the Gnome Glider
|Burthorpe Home Teleport|
|13||West of Camelot Castle entrance||Camelot Teleport|
|14||South of the Sinclair Mansion|
|14||Rellekka entrance||Relekka Teletab|
|16||Western Seers Village||Seers Village Home Teleport|
|17||North-west of Ardougne lodestone, east of Making History startpoint||Ardougne Home Teleport|
Finish: Grand Tree (Teleport to Mobilising Armies, Ring of Duelling; Spirit Tree)
- Once the marathon is finished on a given world, if the player has not yet completed all of the checkpoints, a flashing yellow arrow will remain in the previous location of the next checkpoint. It is not currently known if this is a bug.