There are various methods by which players can increase their potential maximum magic damage. The effects of most equipped items can be seen at the bottom of the stats window (labelled Magic Damage: +x%), however not all boosting items are shown there. Temporarily increasing your magic level also increases your max hit (by 3% per level boosted), this boost isn't shown in the stats window either.
Currently it is not fully understood how the bonus damage is calculated. While the conventional method is to simply increase a spell's maximum hit by the total damage modifier, this has been shown on numerous occasions to be inaccurate. Players who wish to contribute information or constructive ideas are encouraged to do so on this article's discussion page.
|Icon||Equipment||Critical||Accuracy||Requirements to wear||Shows in Stats||Conditions/Notes|
|||Castlewar brace||20%||None||No||Useful in Castle Wars against a bearer of a flag only|
Must be worn as game starts, but not during game
|||Hexcrest||16.67%||16.67%||Level 20 Magic|
Level 10 Defence
|No||Only while on a Slayer assignment.|
|||Full slayer helm||16.67%||16.67%||Level 35 Slayer|
Completion of Smoking Kills.
Must have unlocked the ability to make it.
|No||Only while on a Slayer assignment.|
|||Arcane pulse necklace||2.9%||None||Level 30 Magic|
Level 30 Dungeoneering
|Yes||Costs 6,500 Dungeoneering tokens and is otherwise untradeable|
|||Arcane blast necklace||3.5%||None||Level 50 Magic|
Level 50 Dungeoneering
|Yes||Costs 15,500 Dungeoneering tokens and is otherwise untradeable|
|||Arcane stream necklace||4.9%||None||Level 70 Magic|
Level 70 Dungeoneering
|Yes||Costs 30,500 Dungeoneering tokens and is otherwise untradeable|
|Polypore stick||0%||10||Level 80 Attack|
Level 80 Magic
|Yes||Can be farmed (level 80)into a Polypore staff see below|
|||Gravite staff||0%||550||Level 45 Magic|
Level 45 Dungeoneering
|Yes||Degrades over time (lasts for 10 hours of combat)|
|||Ahrim's staff||0%||700||Level 70 Attack|
Level 70 Magic
|Yes||Degrades over time|
(lasts for 15 hours of combat)
|Akrisae's war mace||0%||700||Level 70 Magic|
Level 70 Attack
Level 70 Prayer
Completion of Ritual of the Mahjarrat
|Yes||Degrades over time (lasts for 15 hours of combat)|
|||Ancient staff||0%||500||Level 50 Magic|
Level 50 Attack
Completion of Desert Treasure
|||Zuriel's staff||1.8%||780||Level 78 Attack|
Level 78 Magic
|Yes||Degrades over time|
(lasts for 1 hour of combat); able to cast Miasmic spells after Desert Treasure
|||Master wand||2%||600||Level 60 Magic||Yes||Must have purchased preceding wands as well|
|||Void knight mace||0%||420||Level 42 Attack|
Level 42 Strength
Level 42 Defence
Level 42 Constitution
Level 42 Ranged
Level 42 Magic
Level 22 Prayer
|Yes||Costs 250 pest control points and is otherwise untradeable; able to cast Claws of Guthix|
|Saradomin's Hiss||4.4%||None||75 Magic||Yes||Dropped by Commander Zilyana and her minions|
|Polypore staff||0%||750||Level 80 Magic||Yes||Can fire its own powerful, unnamed spell.|
|||Staff of light||0%||750||Level 75 Attack|
Level 75 Magic
|Yes||Can also cast Slayer dart|
|Armadyl Battlestaff||0%||770||Level 77 Magic|
Level 40 Attack
Completion of The Ritual of Mahjarrat
|Yes||Also acts like an Air staff; speeds up casting of Storm of Armadyl|
|||Chaotic staff||0%||800||Level 80 Magic|
Level 80 Dungeoneering
|Yes||Degrades over time|
(lasts for 10 hours of combat)
- It is important to note that items with a magic attack bonus such as the Third age mage hat don't boost your max hit, just your accuracy. Similarly, items with a magic defence bonus, such as the black d'hide body don't affect the maximum damage you will take from spells, just your opponent's accuracy. The only exception to this is when the hit is greater than 200 and the Magic Absorption is added into calculations.
- A full set of void knight armour won't raise your max hit, only your accuracy.
Damage-boosting level upsEdit
|Icon||Method||Level boost||Damage boost||Requirements to use||Notes|
|Magic cape's boost||1||3%||99 Magic||May be operated once per minute.|
|||Wizard's mind bomb||2 or 3||6% or 9%||None||Available to free players.|
|||Mature wmb||3 or 4||9% or 12%||None|
|Magic essence potion||3||9%||57 Herblore||This potion is untradeable.|
|Dominion medallion||4||12%||110 combat, some of certain quests||Replenishes the boost once per minute. Can only be used in the Dominion Tower.|
|Vecna Skull||6||18%||None||May be activated once every seven minutes.|
|Extreme magic potion||7||21%||Level 91 Herblore||This potion is untradeable.|
|Overload||7||21%||Level 96 Herblore||Replenishes the boost every 15 seconds for 5 minutes. This potion is untradeable.|
|Wolpertinger's Magic Focus scroll||7||21%||92 Summoning|
|Super dominion medallion||8||21%||110 combat, some of certain quests, reach floor 20 in Endurance mode||Replenishes the boost every minute. Can only be used in the Dominion Tower.|
|Dominion marker||4, 6, 8, 10||12%, 18%, 21%, 21%||100, 200, 300 kills in Dominion tower, complete all achievements||Only works near certain bosses.|
|Dominion Tower Roof||34||21%||Complete all achievements||
Only applicable on the roof of the Dominion Tower
|Crystal (magic)||+50%||Up to 21%||None||May only be found on certain waves of the Fight Kiln|
- For every point that the player's magic level is boosted above their base level their max damage boost by 3%.
- Wizard's mind bomb will boost your magic level by 2 if your base level is under 50 or by 3 for levels 50 and over.
- Mature Wizard's mind bomb will boost your magic level by 3 if your base level is under 50 or by 4 for levels 50 and over.
- Prayers such as Mystic Will and Augury only increase accuracy, not max hit.
- None of the level boosting methods stack with each other, but the percentage bonus of the boosted magic level will stack with items' magic damage bonuses (e.g. that from the staff of light).
- Damage boost is capped at 21%, but the level dependant base damage of Polypore staff and Storm of Armadyl are uncapped.
How to achieve the free-to-play maximum magic hitEdit
The max hit on free-to-play is 250.
- 59 Magic
- 50 Dungeoneering
- 30 Runecrafting
- 50 Runecrafting*
- Completion of the quest Gunnar's Ground*
- Completion of all of the Lumbridge and Draynor Tasks*
- Gravite staff
- Arcane blast necklace
- Magical blastbox
- Wizard's Mind Bomb
- Runecrafter gloves*
- Druidic mage robes or Combat robes*
- Swanky boots*
- Explorer's ring 4*
- Runes for Fire Blast (5 Fire runes, 4 Air runes and 1 Death rune)
*Does not increase Magic damage, however, is used for highest Magic attack
- Charge is a spell that temporarily increased the maximum damage of the three God spells by 100 (providing the player is wearing the corresponding god cape). The spell required a Magic level of 80. It was removed with the Evolution of Combat update.
- Salarin the Twisted (who is susceptible only to strike spells), can be hit 90 lifepoints by wind strike, 100 by water strike, 110 by earth strike, and 120 by fire strike. These max hits cannot be boosted with items or potions.
- Ice strykewyrms can be hit 1.5 times higher by players using fire spells, and 2 times higher plus an extra 40 damage (added after all multipliers, similar to a ferocious ring) by players wearing a Fire cape and casting fire spells (other spell types get an extra 40 damage with a fire cape, except ice spells which heal the strykewyrm).
Max hit calculatorEdit
template = Magic max hit form = magicin result = magicout param = spell|Spell used|Wind Strike|select|Wind Strike,Water Strike,Earth Strike,Fire Strike,Wind Bolt,Water Bolt,Earth Bolt,Fire Bolt,Wind Blast,Water Blast,Earth Blast,Fire Blast,Wind Wave,Water Wave,Earth Wave,Fire Wave,Wind Surge,Water Surge,Earth Surge,Fire Surge,Crumble Undead,Magic Dart,Iban Blast,Saradomin Strike,Claws of Guthix,Flames of Zamorak,Storm of Armadyl,Snare,Entangle,Smoke Rush,Shadow Rush,Blood Rush,Ice Rush,Miasmic Rush,Smoke Burst,Shadow Burst,Blood Burst,Ice Burst,Miasmic Burst,Smoke Blitz,Shadow Blitz,Blood Blitz,Ice Blitz,Miasmic Blitz,Smoke Barrage,Shadow Barrage,Blood Barrage,Ice Barrage,Miasmic Barrage param = level|Your base magic level|1|int|1-99 param = boost|Temporary level boost used|None|select|None,Wizard's mind bomb,Mature wmb,Magic essence potion,Magic potion,Vecna Skull,Extreme magic potion,Overload,Magic focus scroll,Magic cape,Dominion Tower roof param = staff|Damage boosting staff used|None|select|None,Gravite staff,Ahrim's staff,Ancient staff,Zuriel's staff,Master wand,Void knight mace,Staff of light,Chaotic staff,Staff of armadyl param = slay|Slayer-based helmet used|No|select|No,Hexcrest,Full slayer helm param = cw|Castlewar brace in use?|No|select|No,Yes param = neck|Necklace used|None|select|None,Arcane pulse necklace,Arcane blast necklace,Arcane stream necklace param = chaos|Chaos gauntlets used?|No|select|No,Yes param = ring|Ferocious ring active?|No|select|No,Yes param = charge|Charge active?|No|select|No,Yes <!--(This line has been removed until we can work out how ice strykewyrms work)param = icestryke|Fighting Ice strykewyrms?|No|select|No,Yes,Yes with fire cape--> param = salarin|Fighting Salarin the Twisted?|No|select|No,Yes
N.B. the way in which some boosts are stacked has not yet been confirmed; your result may be slightly inaccurate. Please use the talk page if you have any evidence you'd like to contribute.
Maximum magic hitEdit
Currently the highest magic hit in the game, known to be at least 1146, can be achieved by casting Fire Surge on an Ice strykewyrm with the chaotic staff, Arcane stream necklace, Hexcrest, and Fire cape equipped, after drinking Extreme magic potion. The maximum total theoretical damage from one spell is 4,995, achieved by hitting nine targets with Miasmic Barrage for 555 life points each. A more probable instance in multi-way combat is to hit at least five (or more) players with Ice Barrage for 300 (or more with a castlewars brace and Arcane stream necklace) resulting in a total 1,500damage.
It is worth noting that within Daemonheim, the magic potions increase in the same increments that melee potions do in both Gielinor in Daemonheim. That is, they increase magic far more in the former than the latter. Unlike in Gielinor, however, each boosted magic level in Daemonheim only gives an additional 1% damage bonus. Therefore, the calculator above only pertains to activities outside of Daemonheim, as this is a non-Daemonheim related article.
In F2P, with the catalytic staff and Fire Blast requiring 59 Magic, the max hit is 184 because Fire Blast's max hit without any boosts is 160, plus the staff increases the damage by 15%. Some F2P players don't use the catalytic staff because a fire staff gives infinite Fire runes and they don't want to use up too much time runecrafting. Some people don't use the catalytic staff because they don't even have 14 Runecrafting to craft Fire runes.