This article is about the quest. For the location, see Zanaris.
|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|Quest series||Fairy Tale (#1)|
A group of adventurers have set up camp in Lumbridge Swamp, claiming to be searching for a mystical lost city. You must find the truth of this claim, and gain entrance to the moon of Gielinor, Zanaris which is home to the Fairies.
|“||Can you find the legendary lost fairy city of Zanaris?||”|
|Start point|| |
Warrior in the Lumbridge Swamp
|Items required||Items from the toolbelt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added. |
|Enemies to defeat||Dramen Tree Spirit (level 90)|
Seeking the lost cityEdit
Head into Lumbridge swamp and proceed south-west. South to the crater, until you find a warrior, an archer, a wizard, and a monk walking around a campfire. Talk to the warrior and ask him what he is doing. When he refuses to tell you, talk to him in a way that sounds like you are challenging his authority. Then he eventually tells you what his problem is.
Look for a swamp tree to the west of the camp. It is located directly west of the cart. The tree can be easily identified, as it is the only tree with the option "Chop Swamp Tree" instead of "Chop down Swamp tree". Click on the "chop" option and a leprechaun, named Shamus, jumps out. Ask Shamus how to get to Zanaris and he tells you that you need a Dramen staff. To get this, you need to chop down a tree inside of the Entrana Dungeon, and at the end of the conversation, he offers to teleport you to Port Sarim docks so it's a good idea to bring all the items you need with you. However, you are not allowed to take armour, weapons, combat auras (such as Runic accuracy), and some magical items (such as the Explorer's ring) to Entrana.
Some items which can be brought to Entrana:
- Items to make better armour, such as needle, thread, and dragonhides or leather
- If you bring a knife, logs, and a bow string you can make a bow. Arrows are also allowed on the island. Also there is a hiding spot which is helpful to low level players.
- Amulet of your choice
- Anti-poison totem, which provides small defensive bonuses
- A set of H.A.M. robes provide a little defence if you cannot make your own armour (NOTE, H.A.M gloves are not allowed), or a pair of monk robes. (robes bought from Canifis are also allowed)
- Priest gown top and bottom are also allowed on the isle and provide a small prayer bonus which is very useful. Citharede robes can also be brought to the island.
- A Ring of life
- Druid's Robes
- Thread (Required if using magic or making armour)
- Imphide, Spider silk, or Batwing (Required if using magic)
Take your choice of items to Port Sarim, talk to the monks on the dock, and travel to Entrana. Do not make your items yet; You can be caught and sent back to Port Sarim, thus forcing you to obtain materials again.
When you get off the boat at Entrana, run to the East, then North past the temple and West after the bridge. You find a monk next to a cave entrance.
Note that as soon as you go down into this cave there is no exit except via a door that takes you to Draynor Village, behind the bank near the obelisk. Once you're ready, talk to the monk and enter the dungeon. Upon entering the dungeon, your prayer is reduced to 10-40 points (now is a good time to use prayer potions if you brought them). Now you can make your equipment without being spotted (you can have a friend with high Crafting and/or Fletching levels come along to give assistance if needed).
A Level 90 tree spirit appears. It is possible to attempt to melee the Dramen Tree Spirit, but it hits hard (up to 109) and absorbs most melee attacks. At the safe spot you can spot trap her and attack her while quickly running back to safe spot to avoid damage and she barely hits you. The Tree Spirit is susceptible to fire spells. At least Fire Bolt or better should be used, with a spider wand or batwing wand. If you brought enough spider silk or batwing, it is highly recommended to also make the corresponding orb/book for higher damage per second. Lower level runes can easily be bought at Port Sarim on the way to Entrana. Note that if you are using melee you almost certainly need plenty of food (lobsters or better) to fight the tree spirit.
- NOTE: If you don't defeat the Dramen Tree Spirit fast enough, it returns to the tree where you have to fight it again with full health.
- NOTE: Due to a 2013 update that prevents players from using magical abilities and spells without a mainhand magic weapon, maging the Tree spirit is not possible unless a spider wand or batwing wand is created in the dungeon.
Once you've defeated the Tree Spirit, cut the tree again to get a Dramen branch. Cut several if you like so you make a few staves for your bank. (If you intend to complete Recipe for Disaster it is recommended to cut another Dramen branch and keep it, to save a future trip) Note that you can always come back and cut more pieces of the Dramen tree, you won't have to fight the guardian again. Use a knife with the Dramen branch to get a Dramen Staff. To do this, you need at least 31 crafting.
The City of FairiesEdit
Open the magical door (which is east of the greater demons) and you teleport to Draynor Village. Head directly Southeast and you arrive at the campsite. Wield your Dramen staff, and enter the small hut in the swamp east of the dungeon entrance and you'll find yourself in Zanaris.
Congratulations, quest complete!
- 3 Quest Points
- Access to Zanaris
- Ability to wield dragon longswords and dragon daggers
- Ability to make cosmic runes with the Runecrafting skill
- Ability to use Chaeldar as slayer master (requires level 110 combat)
- 2 Treasure hunter keys for use in Treasure Hunter.
- 2 Hearts of Ice for use in Treasure Hunter.
Required for completingEdit
Completion of Lost City is required for the following quests:
- Fairytale I - Growing Pains
- Heroes' Quest
- Lunar Diplomacy
- Recipe for Disaster/Freeing Sir Amik Varze
- Magic is the most effective way to kill against the spirit, even with low level spells. For example, since Fire bolt often hits the spirit high and consistently, it is very cheap to defeat the spirit using this method. Make sure to bring materials for a wand, or you won't be able to cast spells. It also helps to If you use Fire bolt to defeat the spirit you may need around 25-30 casts, along with a good ability rotation. If you have 59 Magic, it is advisable to use Fire Blast instead, as it offers more damage for just one additional air and fire rune per cast.
- An alternative strategy is to bring an unfinished bow and a bowstring, as well as decent arrows, since they are allowed on Entrana. After you go down into the dungeon, make a bow. Once the spirit spawns, run behind the mushroom. This is useful for people with high Fletching and Ranged levels because strung bows are not allowed on the island whereas unfinished ones are.
- Another good strategy, if you have level 70 Ranged, 71 Fletching, 77 Crafting and 68 Magic, is to bring all the materials for a rune 2h crossbow or a main and off-hand rune crossbow, as well as enchanted dragonstone bolts. Bring red dragon leather, some thread and a needle, and you're ready to go. Make your crossbow(s), and your red dragonhide armour. The special of the bolts, which gives an effect similar to dragonbreath, quickly defeats the Tree Spirit with its weakness to fire based attacks. However, this is a somewhat rare occurrence and, due to the level 50 cap on the bolt damage, is only be at best roughly equal to fighting it with Fire Blast using a Bat wand and book, but at a much higher cost and level requirements.
- Should you not wish to use Magic or Ranged, or find it ineffective for some reason and have a higher combat level (around 110-130 at least), then you can kill the Tree Spirit with the bronze hatchet. At this level it would be recommended to bring with you a full inventory of high food such as rocktail, due to the hatchet's low damage and accuracy.
- Before the quest was reworked, the magic door at the end of the dungeon led into the Wilderness instead of to Draynor Village. Shamus also didn't teleport the player to Port Sarim docks.
- Before the toolbelt update, due to the fact that hatchets couldn't be brought onto Entrana, players had to kill the hatchet-wielding zombies within the dungeon until they dropped a Bronze hatchet.