The Logout button is used to log out of RuneScape. The button is located on the top right side of the minimap. The logout button resembles a small door with an arrow opening it. Once it is clicked, the player must click another button to actually log out. That is a slate-blue bar reading either "Exit to Lobby" or the gold bar reading "Logout."
Players may click the logout button at any time, although players in combat must wait 10 seconds after done fighting in order for the button to actually log them out. It is also not possible to simply log out during a game of Castle Wars. The player must exit the game through a portal and then may log out. Also, if a player does nothing (i.e. not clicking or typing) for 5 minutes, the player is automatically logged out. The player will also be logged out if they have been playing for 23 hours straight, regardless of activity.
In Fist of Guthix, if the player logs out, the player forfeits the game, and loses 24 rating points.
- In RuneScape Classic, the game automatically logged you off if you stayed in one spot for over 5 minutes, regardless of whether or not you were doing anything.
- The old logout button was a door.
- In the 'Behind the Scenes - January' news post, Jagex mentioned that the auto-logout time would be changed to 5 minutes instead of 90 seconds. The logout timer was changed from 90 seconds to 5 minutes on 13 January 2009.
- Before the ninja update on 16 March 2015 the forced logout time was only 6 hours instead of 23.
- You are forced to refresh the game page, or restart the game client, after you get logged out by the 23 hour timer.