A Login server is one of the 8 servers available in RuneScape that verify that a player is valid and active, and not logged in elsewhere, after entering a username and password. It is also possible to play through Facebook, by connecting your Facebook account with RuneScape.
The login screen appears as the player prepares to log in. The Username and Password is sent to one of the login servers for verification before allowing the player to play the game on a game server.
During login server maintenance there will be a 12.5% chance that a player would not be able to sign on. Assignments to which login server is random. If there are multiple accounts using one IP address, some accounts from that IP address may be able to log in, and others may not be able to.
Sometimes when a server crashes you will be unable to login since the login server thinks you are still logged in and refuses to let you log in twice. This is happening because on the login server you are registered as logged into the crashed world. Normally when you log out it sends a message to the login server saying you've logged out. But because its crashed it can't send this message. Once the server is back online the message is sent and you can log on again..
- The images of flames depicted on the old login screen (before the login screen update) are known as the flames of Lloigh-enn that are said to "require a spell recited most precisely, that is different for each individual who wishes to pass through." "Lloigh-enn" is based on "log in" and the "spell" recited is the player's password.
- The login screen sometimes shows NPCs walking outside their normal areas (e.g. Zaff walking around Varrock square).
- These flames would briefly form the shapes of the rune symbols every few seconds. However, while holiday updates were in effect, these would be replaced with seasonal objects (pumpkins and crescent moons on Halloween, and snowmen and snowflakes at Christmas for example).
- There is a glitch that may occur during the loading of the login screen, depicting a squashed version of things like overhead prayers and hitsplats.
- Occasionally the log in timer may start again from 40 or 30 after reaching zero. This usually happens when the login timer reaches zero at the same time as the animated background re-loads.
- There is a glitch if your friend is in a members' world and you are a free player, when you click Join [Friend's name], it will say you need to subscribe but when you exit the pop-up, the text of your friend's world would be green as if you are in the same world. This glitch has been fixed.
- There is currently a glitch that occurs to players on DirectX mode graphics, which shows incorrect graphics for the log-in button.
- Apparently the people on the current login screen are signature heroes Ariane, Ozan, and Owen.
- ^ Zamorak. Issue 23 - Zamorak Considers Some Issues. God letters. Jagex Games Studio. 2004-08-17. (Archived from the original on 2010-01-24.) “what is the fire on the login page called? ... The flames of Lloigh-enn are an often rumoured, almost mythical, barrier between various dimensions, that require a spell recited most precisely, that is different for each individual who wishes to pass through. I am surprised a mere mortal has heard of them, let alone encountered them in person; I had thought them long since extinguished...”*