|Release date||7 June 2011 (Update)|
Linza is mainly interested in things related to Smithing or other handicrafts. She is always interested to learn of new techniques or materials for smithing. She does not like machines with moving parts, preferring the simplicity of a balanced sword. Her willingness to learn and obtain new techniques can lead to her taking extreme measures, often getting in way over her head and making unwise decisions.
She takes a scientific approach to her work, putting her learning, materials and creations through rigorous testing. When she learns new methods of crafting, she analyses it then picks the methods she believes will work best for her and her work.
Not much is yet known about Linza's past. According to the loading screen, she has travelled around Gielinor and picked up different techniques (e.g. blurite, elemental, barbarian and dragon smithing).
Linza makes an appearance in the quest Deadliest Catch, where she makes the player a giant harpoon in return for one of the Thalassus's teeth. The player goes out with Jones and 'The Guns', finding the Thalassus. While they are unable to catch the fish itself, Jones manages to secure one of its teeth, which the player brings to Linza.
She later makes an appearance in Kindred Spirits to bring the player into Sliske's game. Sliske is upset by the player's deception and reveals that Linza had betrayed the group. As she stole the secrets of dragon smithing from the dragonkin, she went to Sliske and bargained for protection. While Sliske initially agreed to turn her into a wight after she died, he decided to change plans due to the player's deception and turned her into a wight on the spot, becoming Linza the Disgraced.
Linza remains under Sliske's control until Sliske's Endgame, where he deploys her alongside Nomad and Gregorovic after the original Barrows brothers refuse to help Sliske. She is later freed from his control when the player "kills" him. With Sliske's control over her gone, Linza is able to retain her human feelings and apologizes to the player for causing a lot of trouble for them. Still retaining her smithing skills, she decides to stay with the Barrows brothers as she is now undead.
Like the other Signature Heroes, Linza can be found in many different places. However, after Kindred Spirits, she no longer appears.
Linza can be found in several random locations. She visits each for five minutes before teleporting to another. Possible locations are:
- Al Kharid, at the furnace
- Ancient Cavern's dragon forge
- Crafting Guild
- Daemonheim, chipping at the walls east of the reward shop
- Dorgesh-Kaan, at the anvil found in the southern part of the city
- Keldagrim, at the Blast Furnace anvils
- Mining Guild, western side
Places that Linza may be found at any time include:
- On the 1stUK] of the floor[Legends' Guild, with all the other Signature Heroes. She no longer appears here after completion of Kindred Spirits.
Quest and miniquest appearances
Linza appears in the following quests and miniquests:
- In the quest Deadliest Catch, Linza is smithing at the anvils at Hemenster. During the quest, she reminisces about her experiences with hunting the mythical Crackjaw, and helps the player by giving them a giant harpoon in exchange for one of Thalassus's teeth.
- Although she does not appear, Linza is mentioned in the Fremennik Saga Three's Company, wherein Ariane, Ozan, and Sir Owen are finding new Smithing ores and techniques for her.
- Linza appeared in the old pre-eoc opening cutscene for the Burthorpe tutorial, where she smiths a sword that she gives to the player. She then waits outside a mine that the player and Ozan enter to search for trolls. The player also freed her from a mining cave-in.
- Linza is involved in the quest Kindred Spirits. During the quest, it is revealed that she stole the knowledge and materials for dragon smithing from the Dragonkin and betrayed the Player to Sliske in exchange for protection. She is betrayed by Sliske and turned into a wight, Linza the Disgraced.
- Linza was smithing a red sword during Deadliest Catch, leading some to believe that it was a dragon sword, but it has been confirmed that it was merely very hot.
- There used to be a loading screen message saying that Linza may teach the player blurite, elemental, barbarian or dragon smithing, hinting at possible future releases. Though this may also mean there are already existing techniques to smith blurite, elemental, barbarian, dragon.
- After completing Elemental Workshop I, she thanks the player for re-opening the Elemental Workshop and says that the elemental bars are hard to smith despite her proficiency in smithing.
- After the completion of While Guthix Sleeps, Linza will speak to the player about lighting the dragon forge and using the blast fusion hammer even if the player never lit the dragon forge, lacks 92 Smithing, and hasn't obtained a blast fusion hammer.
- As revealed in the third Above the Lore podcast, Linza is around 39 years old.
- Linza is the third Signature Hero to die, after Sir Owen and Xenia. She is also the second Signature Hero to be resurrected as an undead being, after Sir Owen.
- ^ Linza, "Deadliest Catch", RuneScape. "I'm guessing they're made of an incredibly strong natural material, which might be a great component for weapons or armour. It'd be great for furthering my research." when discussing the Thalassus
- ^ Ariane, "Three's Company", RuneScape. "Just keep an eye out for new ores and smithing techniques. If you're good, Linza will smith you something shiny."
- ^ Sliske, "Kindred Spirits", RuneScape. "She never learned to smith dragon weapons. She stole the secrets from the Dragonkin. Stole the ore from them as well."
- ^ a b Sliske, "Kindred Spirits", RuneScape. "And so she came to me. She. Came. To. Me. And I made her an offer. I'd give her the strength to fend off the Dragonkin by herself, and in return she'd feed you this quest like a good little collaborator."
- ^ Sliske, "Kindred Spirits", RuneScape. "Here's something to think of while you're on your knees; Linza betrayed you."
- ^ Linza, "Kindred Spirits", RuneScape. "I had to do it! If people found out then what would happen to me? You, Player, the world guardian, you go around punishing thieves like me who endanger the rest of the world."
- ^ Linza the Disgraced, "Sliske's Endgame", RuneScape. "Besides, after what I put you through with Sliske, you deserve to get a few punches in. I don't begrudge you that. Again, I am so sorry. So very, very sorry."
- ^ Linza, "Deadliest Catch", RuneScape. "I'd be taking it back to my workshop to put through various tests – see how well it fares in different chemicals, stress tests, try to determine what makes up its structure. Various things."
- ^ Linza, "Deadliest Catch", RuneScape. "I take a bit of all the lessons I learn, then I pick and choose the techniques to best suit the piece of work I'm busy with."
- ^ Linza, "Deadliest Catch", RuneScape. "Wow...yes, this is a very strong material, surprisingly light. Amazing, I need to do some further research on this."
- ^ Linza, "Deadliest Catch", RuneScape. "I guessed it'd have skin that could stretch to double its original size, yet remain incredibly tough."
- ^ Linza, "Deadliest Catch", RuneScape. "This isn't just some generic sword. It has precise properties, all balanced with the wielder's physique, technique and chosen application. I have to consider the weighting in ratio to the strength; how much pressure the wielder applies with a hit; the strength of their grip; their aggression levels... The list goes on."
- ^ Linza, "Deadliest Catch", RuneScape. "Let others do the fighting. I'll stick to what I'm interested in."
- ^ Mod Mark. "Game Update FAQ - 07/06/11." 7 June 2011. Recent Updates Forums.