- This page is about hidden messages and features within the game. For the holiday item, see Easter egg.
Easter eggs are intentionally hidden messages or features in RuneScape. Easter eggs in RuneScape often reference real-life or real-life fiction in some form. Examples of easter eggs are listed below.
Farming Skill guide Edit
In the guide, right click on the farming skillcape and choose "Check protection price" and in the tab it will say "Unsurprisingly, capes don't need protection". This also works with checking protection price of a scarecrow.
Also if you "Check protection price" on anything else besides the minigames, special, bushes, fruit trees, trees, allotments, and the hops tabs, it will say "You can't pay a gardener to protect that."
If you go to the clan chat page, click enter chat, and then right click anywhere but the OK or cancel button, it will say "hai". Hai is a slang for hi and clicking on it does nothing.
This was removed in the 12 July patch notes.
Ring of KinshipEdit
If you use a Ring of Kinship with a fire, a message will appear saying text appears to be glowing, but you can't read it. Using it in a dungeon with fire, the chatbox will yield the following...
Some text starts to appear on the ring.
'Nothing interesting happens.'
This is presumed to be a joke.
If you take the ring to the Wilderness North Volcano and attempt to destroy it while on the bridge, you will get the message "You find yourself unable to part with the ring." Both of these are references to The Lord of the Rings.
Within the Stronghold of Player Safety, you will find a testing room with students in it. The teacher is Indiana Jones' Father. If you examine his bag, it will say "Professor Henry's bag, there is some sort of cup in there". This cup refers to the Holy Grail, from the film "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade". 
If you used any throwing axe on the oak tree that was north of Beefy Bill, a message will appear in your chat box that says "You do not have a hatchet which you have the Woodcutting level to use, and throwing an axe would be dangerous."
One of the punching bags in the Fist of Guthix waiting room has a smiley face on it.
Typing a word or a short phrase will result in the note changing to a popular culture reference:
- "All your base are belong to us" will change to "orly?" (Oh, really?)
- "orly" will change to "yarly" (Yeah, really)
- "murder" or "redrum" will change to "All rest and no play makes Guthix a dull boy." This is a reference to the book The Shining by Stephen King.
- "Andrew" will change to "Cabbage."- This is Andrew's clan chat name since the 2009 April Fools event.
- "Paul" will change to "Rargh, I'm a lava monster!"
- "I am your father" will change to "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" This is a reference to what Luke Skywalker says to Darth Vader in Star Wars V.
- "I'll be back" will change to "Come with me if you want to live." This is a reference to the Terminator series.
- "Finish the fight" will change to "They must love the smell of hero." This is a reference to what Johnson says in Halo 3.
- "There is no spoon" will change to "Then you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself." (This message is more than the max 50 characters, with a total of 71. This shows the system can cope with messages with a length longer than 50 characters). This is a reference to the film The Matrix.
- "You fight like a dairy farmer" will change to "How appropriate. You fight like a cow." - This is a reference to an insult match in Monkey Island 1.
- "Bangin' " will change to "donk"
- "Humperdinck" will change to "Have fun storming the castle!", referencing the movie The Princess Bride.
- "R.I.P. Runescape" will change to "Wanna Bet?" (This used to be: "Totgesagte leben länger." which is German for "Reputedly dead ones live longer".)
- "Milton Waddams" will change to "The ratio of people to cake is too big."
- "Sevga" will change to "Marmaros had a close encounter with a prayer-eating behemoth."
- "Penso, logo existo" will change to "Borboletas salpicadas de goiabada..." Translation: "I think, therefore I am " will change to "Sprinkled butterflies of guava jelly..." (Portuguese)
- "Le temps passe" will change to "L'œuf dur." Translation: "Time flies". This will change to "The hard-boiled egg." (French) "dur" also sounds like "dure" which means "lasts" so it would sound like "Time flies" and "The egg lasts"
- At one point, putting "<img=1>" in your notes would change to a Jagex mod crown when edited, but this was a presumed to be a glitch, and has since been removed. It could be used with other numbers: img=0 would produce a player moderator crown, img=1 would produced a jagex moderator crown, img=2 would produce a quick chat symbol, and img=3 would produce a quick chat arrow.
Grand Exchange ItemsEdit
Over time a couple of Items have been added to the Grand Exchange as a joke. These are the "Thingy" and the left-handed chisel. The "Truffle" was scrapped as idea for the game, but still appeared on the Grand Exchange .
A Thingy was an item found on the Grand Exchange. It is identical to a Sapphire amulet. Its price was set as 2 coins, however as nobody has ever had it, you couldn't buy one. The examine text of a Thingy was "Mabob". Put together, the two words make "Thingymabob", an expression used in English when the speaker does not know or cannot remember the name of something. It has been confirmed by Mod Mark that this was a joke by Content Development. It has since been removed.
Truffles were implemented into the Grand Exchange , and were going to be used in the Summoning skill. However, as Jagex ran out of time, they scrapped it. Originally, your Broav would find them, but their use was unknown. Now, the Broav has been given a part in While Guthix Sleeps. The truffles have not been given a place in the game, and have been removed from the Grand Exchange as of 29 September 2008.
If you click the skills tab quick enough after logging in you will see most of your stats will be at level 120 and you will have a total level of 1337, or LEET in leet text. This also caused a rumour that all skills were going to be changed to 120. Jagex confirmed that they are not planning this as of Runefest 2012. Even though your total level is 1337, when you add up all of the levels you get a much higher total number than 1337.
Another variation of this glitch may appear during dungeoneering, and is shown to the right.
Skeleton in a closetEdit
When opening cupboards, there is a chance that there will be a skeleton in the cupboard. This is a reference to the saying that someone has a skeleton in their closet, meaning they have a secret.
If you use a raw herring with a tree a message will appear saying "This is not the mightiest tree in the forest". Then if you use the herring with the Grand tree, a message will appear saying "It cannot be done!" Both are references to the movie "Monty python and the Holy Grail" where the knights who say Ni, request King Arthur to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest, with a herring.
Needle in a HaystackEdit
Searching a haystack sometimes leads to a conversation of the player finding a needle. This is a reference to the common saying "Like finding a needle in a haystack!" meaning that something has small odds of happening.
Knock Knock JokesEdit
At the western Varrock bank there are two doors leading to the area behind the bank booths. Both doors have the "Knock-at" option and when chosen a banker asks who you are then you are give the options of "I'm (Player's name). Please let me in", "Boo", "Kanga", "Thank", and "Doctor" which are knock knock joke replies.
The doctor reply is a reference to the British television show "Doctor Who".
In the prison/celler below the school located north of Barbarian Village, in one of the cells there is a poster with hole behind it (leading into where you would find cockroach monsters.), there's also a chess set and a rock pick all similar to the movie shawshank redemption where a man tunneled out of prison through a the wall using a rock pick. He also had a chess set in his cell which he made.
There is a piano in Yanille is located in house just north of Magic guild. It consists of two parts - bench and piano itself, but both parts when hovered with mouse have option "Play Piano". But their examine text info differs - when the bench is examined, it states "Time for a recital?" and the piano examine info is "I was always forced to play this as a child."
When you click "Play Piano" you will get one of the following messages and some tunes will be played:
- Music to your ears.
- Practice makes perfect.
- Practice might make perfect.
- You play a tune on the old 'Joannah'.
- Somewhere a dog starts to howl...
- When did you learn to do that?!
- Don't give up the day job!
- You tinkle on the ivories.
- You rock!
Amelia and Rory Edit
The Ga'al MysteryEdit
Main article: TzHaar-Ga'al-Kot.
Ever since the release of The Brink of Extinction there has been a hidden Ga'al in Gielinor that can only be found under certain conditions and in the right place at the right time. A sticky had been posted on the official RuneScape Forums dedicated to finding this Ga'al. It took five months, and several hints from the developer, before the Ga'al had finally been found.