|Release date||Unknown edit|
|High alch||0 coins|
|Low alch||0 coins|
|On death||Never kept|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Examine||Wonder what happens if I rub it...|
The Lamp is a reward from the random event box and cannot be traded or banked. Rubbing the lamp gives the option of adding experience to a skill of your choice. The amount given is your current level in the skill multiplied by ten (e.g. level 13 Attack increases by 130 experience). This is not considered a large reward by most players, unless it is being used to level up skills that are time consuming or expensive to level up, such as Summoning, Prayer and Construction. However, people usually choose a lamp from the random event box, as they feel that experience is more worthwhile than any other reward in the box.
Using the lamp
Genie lamps are often used by players to advance skills that are either low or considered hard to level. Combat skills are seen as a poor use of the lamp, unless one is a Combat pure, as lamps allow pures to gain Combat experience without training Constitution. Skillers also commonly use lamps to train Slayer without raising their combat. Sometimes, a player may hold onto the lamp until they gain a level, especially if they are close to one. This is because it will give slightly more experience (10 more per increase) at a higher level. However, retaining the lamp will take up inventory space, as it cannot be banked, and this can be counterproductive when training some skills. Another common reason for a player keeping a lamp would be for the ease of reaching levels that people would normally celebrate such as 99 or 120. This makes the level-up significantly easier and allows the player to have a much wider choice of level up locations. An example could be seen in a player achieving 99 slayer in their Player-owned house by using the lamp to obtain the final experience required to level.
You can get two Lamps from Sir Vant in Lumbridge. He is located in the building east from the general store. There is a ladder that will take you down to him. He talks about killing a dragon, so ask him if he wants you to slay the dragon. Vant will say something to the effect of it would disgrace him as a knight if you killed it for him, so he just gives you two 250 XP lamps that you can use on certain skills - Attack, Strength, Defence, Prayer, Constitution, Ranged, Magic, Mining, Smithing, Fishing, Firemaking or Woodcutting. (This is only if you have not done the quest Unstable Foundations).. Please note you can no longer get XP lamps for doing the quest "Unstable Foundations".
- It would take exactly 15,057 genie lamps to level a skill from level 1 to 99.
- Level 10 experience of 100 gives the highest percentage (49%) of the difference to the next level. The levels 5 to 18 give 40% or more, levels 4 to 23 give 30% or more, levels 2 to 30 give 20% or more and levels 1 to 40 give 10% or more.
- When trying to bank a lamp it will say "A magical force prevents you from banking this item," and the lamp will stay in your inventory.
- When a new skill is added, there is no option to receive XP from the Lamp until two weeks after the release.
- With the release of Dungeoneering, the new max experience you can gain from a single Lamp is 1,200.
- There appears to be a glitch regarding the XP lamps from the Stronghold of Player Safety. If both lamps are used to grant Dungeoneering XP they will increase your level to level 9. However, the second level-up message (from levels 5-9) will read "You've just advanced 0 Dungeoneering levels! You have now reached level 9." The cause of this glitch is currently unknown. This can also occur with antique lamps when they are both used on the same skill.
- Antique lamp
- Blessed lamp
- Carnillean lamp, reward after Carnillean Rising
- Philipe's lamp, reward after Carnillean Rising (must talk to Philipe in various locations)
- Combat lamp
- Dreamy lamp
- Goulash, reward after Swept Away
- Mysterious lamp
- Experience lamp, reward from Recipe for Disaster
- Reward lamp from One Small Favour
- Reward lamp from Death Plateau
- Mabel's lamp, reward after Love story
- Odd lamp, reward from Ritual of the Mahjarrat
Other Experience lamps
- Dragonkin lamp
- Easter lamp
- Small, Medium, Large and Huge XP lamp, rewards from the Squeal of Fortune