|Release date||26 January 2005 (Update)|
|XP per kill||349.6 (and 115.3 experience)|
|Assigned by||Chaeldar, Sumona|
Kurask are large, green, bull-like monsters that can be found in the second to last chamber of the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon and on the lower level of the Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon. They require 70 Slayer to kill.
Kurask, like turoth, must be killed with either a leaf-bladed sword, leaf-bladed spear, and/or Slayer Dart spell (which also requires a Magic level of 50), or broad arrows/broad-tipped bolts, or else the player's attacks are ineffective. Kurask are assigned by Sumona and Chaeldar.
Biology and natureEdit
Kurask are somewhat similar to gorillas, although they share some traits with other animals such as their large horns which are similar to a bull's. They are grey to pale green in colour and have rows of hooked horns protruding from their back. They have three stomachs, the third of which has a special stomach lining that prevents food from being digested. Within the stomach a ceremonial fruit is stored for the duration of the kurask's life. Their lifespan is of an unknown length, but surpasses that of humans. They ideally come of age at 80 years. There is also evidence that they can breathe underwater.
It was revealed in issue 23 of Postbag from the Hedge that kurask are somewhat intelligent, and have their own rites of passage and language. Kurask society dictates that individuals should not come in contact with other races unless they are hunting. Those that disobey this are generally shunned or even banished.
At age 80 kurask partake in a coming-of-age ritual called Kurisk. This generally kills one-third of those that attempt it. The kurask are sent "over a plain" and then "under the sea" to retrieve a fruit from the human lands (this is thought to mean through northern Kandarin, under the Southern Sea, and onto Karamja). Those that return are treated as adults.
|“|| To become a kuraski, at the age of 80, a kura must leave the cave and complete the rite of Kurisk [...] a kura must then pluck a fruit from a tree and bring it back to Kuriskia.
Then they become kuraski and the fruit is ingested whole, held in a third stomach until death and preserved by our stomach lining. You did not, by any chance, eat it, did you?
Since the discovery of the Slayer Dungeon beneath the Kharidian settlement Pollnivneach, kurask society's origins and schisms have been called into greater question. The nature of the Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon is still largely unknown, although its workings are obviously artificial; it possesses constructed portals to the Fremennik caves, amongst other slayer-related locations. It is unknown whether kurask originated in the Kharidian Desert or Fremennik Province, if either.
The idea of living in solitude and isolation that governs kurask society is very similar in nature to that of the scabarite race which follows Scabaras's ideologies. If the kurask race originated in the Kharidian Desert, it is possible that they were influenced by the scabarites, who were very active (although at the time probably all humans) during the Third Age, roughly when the dungeon is believed to have been created and active.
Kurask possess a basic language. Little is known of it, and only a few words have been translated; most by Skuhavi, a kurask banished for his interest in humans. Below is a list of known words in the kurask language.
- Skutask - Interest.
- Shallask - Alas, or an expression of anger/regret.
- Skarooom - Dooom!
- Kuraski - A kurask that has completed Kurisk, an adult. Must be at least 80 years old.
- Kura - A child, or one who has not completed Kurisk.
- Kurisk - Rite performed by Kura. Named after a legendary kurask hero that first performed the travel to Karamja.
- Kuriskia - A kurask city.
- Fremennik Slayer Dungeon (near fairy ring code A-J-R; a ring of slaying has a teleport to the dungeon).
- Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon (again, a ring of slaying has a teleport close to the dungeon).
Strengths and weaknessesEdit
Players must use a leaf-bladed weapon, broad arrows, broad-tipped bolts or the Slayer Dart spell when fighting these. Using any other weapon is completely ineffective. The dwarf multicannon does not work, and the deflect curses will reflect damage although not much. (familiars do work)
After the Evolution of Combat, the best way to kill these is with the Slayer Dart. It is possible to kill them in 2 or 3 hits with this method.
Killing them can be slow work. In the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon, a safe spot in the northeast corner makes the Slayer Dart one of the faster options. In this dungeon, it is also safe to range or mage them standing in the small entrance to the area. A good place to safe-spot kurasks is from the entrance of the kurask cave in the Fremmenik Slayer Dungeon, as the kurask cannot reach you if you stand in the right place, as they are too large to move through the passage.
- Helm: Slayer helm (if task or in Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon) Ganodermic visor > Hood of subjugation > Grifolic visor > Batwing hood
- Amulet: Arcane stream necklace > Amulet of fury > Amulet of glory > Amulet of power
- Weapon: Staff of light > Slayer staff
- Spell: Slayer Dart
- Body: Ganodermic Poncho > Garb of subjugation > Grifolic poncho > Batwing robe top
- Legs: Ganodermic leggings > Gown of subjugation > Grifolic leggings > Batwing legs
- Gloves:Ganodermic gloves > Culinaromancer's gloves 10 > Grifolic gloves > Batwing gloves
- Boots: Ragefire boots > Ganodermic boots > Boots of subjugation
- Cape: Completionist cape > Max cape > Cape of Accomplishment > God capes > Obsidian cape
Magic is the best approach for killing Kurask, as the spell Slayer Dart conveniently takes care of their weakness to air spells. On the flip side, Slayer Dart requires either a Slayer staff or a Staff of light to cast, with the latter being the better and preferred option. Both dungeons have multiple safespots that can be utilised. However, the Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon is highly recommended because there are more safespots. The kurask aren't spread out, unlike the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon, where there are no Kurask behind you (just aquanites/turoths). The kurask room in the Fremennik dungeon is larger and there are only 5 or 6 spawns of kurask in there, compared to the Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon where there are around 20 kurask spawns. Players can use the room connectors in the Fremennik Slayer Dungeon to safespot kurask.
The Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon has many semi-safespots and four safespots. The semi-safespots are the rubble and crystals scattered all over the room. These safespots are the cavern connectors, a crystal rubble near the portal, some rocks near the cavern portal, and one a near the opposite side of the portal on the corner. Players will always get 3-5 aggressive kurask in each safespot.
If your combat strategy includes using food to heal, bring a knife to cut up the pineapples frequently dropped by them. You can either eat the pineapple rings to heal a total of 800 life points or add them to the plain pizza drops to make pineapple pizzas (level 65 Cooking required). This adds more life points to the healing effect of the pizza. Note that you will need 3 empty inventory spaces to slice a pineapple. Much more frequently they drop noted pineapples and one banana which only heal 200 life points.
Another, more versatile way of healing is to bring bones to peaches tablets made in player-owned houses. They are used to transform normal or big bones into peaches that heal 80 life points. It is also recommended to bring some nature runes and fire runes, as they commonly drop adamant platebodies, which can be converted to 9,984 coins by using the High Level Alchemy spell.
- Helm: Slayer helm (if task or in Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon) > Armadyl helmet > Helm of neitiznot
- Amulet: Amulet of ranging > Amulet of fury > Amulet of glory > Amulet of power
- Weapon: Royal crossbow > Chaotic crossbow (and off-hand) > Armadyl crossbow > Dragon 2h crossbow > Dragon crossbow (and off-hand) > Dark bow > Seercull > Rune 2h crossbow
- Ammo: Broad-tipped bolts or broad arrows
- Body: Armadyl chestplate > Royal d'hide body > Black d'hide body
- Chaps: Armadyl chainskirt > Royal d'hide chaps > Black d'hide chaps
- Vambraces: Culinaromancer's gloves 10 > Royal d'hide vambraces > Black d'hide vambraces
- Boots: Glaiven boots > Armadyl boots > Snakeskin boots
- Cape: Ava's device or completionist cape > Obsidian cape
Ranged is not recommended without a substantial (level 60 or higher) ranged weapon, as kurask are naturally resistant to ranged attacks, and the only usable ammunition on them, broad arrows and broad-tipped bolts, are relatively weak (although the arrows are slightly stronger). On the other hand, a skilled ranger can get a decent kill rate by using a level 70 or higher weapon with careful ability rotation.
- Helm: Slayer helm (on task or Pollnivneach Slayer Dungeon) > Dragon full helm > Helm of neitiznot > Dragon helm
- Cape: Completionist cape > Max cape > Ardougne cloak 3 or 4 > Fire cape > Obsidian cape
- Amulet: Amulet of Fury > Amulet of glory
- Ring: Ring of wealth / TokKul-Zo (charged)
- Weapon: Leaf bladed spear > Leaf-bladed sword
- Shield: Dragon defender > Dragonfire shield > Dragon sq shield > Rune defender > Rune kiteshield
- Torso: Bandos chestplate > Torag's platebody > Dragon platebody > Dragon chainbody > Rune platebody
- Leggings: Bandos tassets > Torag's platelegs > Dragon platelegs or Dragon plateskirt > Rune platelegs or rune plateskirt
- Boots: Steadfast boots > Dragon boots > Rune boots
- Gloves: RFD Gloves 10 > RFD Gloves 9
Using melee against kurask (leaf bladed spear OR sword) will not hit as frequently as with Slayer Dart, but is a feasible alternative if the player is not willing to spend money on runes. The spear is recommended over the sword as it will hit for more damage per hit and grants access to more abilites. Kurask will hit a player for occasional hits into the low 200s. A player with a combat level of 150 or higher can slay over 100 of these in a single trip if they bring an inventory of food and make use of healing abilities such as Rejuvenate. It is also recommended to use super attack potions and super strength potions for faster kills. The leaf-bladed melee weapons do not have as high an attack bonus as other weapons players would normally use.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Bones 1 Always 214
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 19,907 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Nature rune 5–30 Uncommon 1,420–8,520 Death rune 1–6 Uncommon 104–624 Mind rune 4–16 Uncommon 16–64
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Broad-tipped bolts 1–10 Common 24–240 Unfinished broad bolts 21–60 Common 399–1,140 Broad arrowheads 21–60 Common 1,533–4,380 Adamant bolts 5–19 Uncommon 300–1,140 Mithril hatchet 1 Uncommon 100 Broad arrow 1–10 Uncommon Not sold Rune longsword 1 Rare 18,654 Off-hand leaf-bladed sword 1 Very rare 154,029 Leaf-bladed sword 1 Very rare 40,860
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Adamant platebody 1 Uncommon 9,530 Mithril kiteshield 1 Uncommon 939 Mystic robe top (light) 1 Very rare 71,618
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy guam 1 Common 577 Grimy marrentill 1 Common 58 Grimy tarromin 1 Common 53 Grimy harralander 1 Common 209 Grimy irit 1 Uncommon 2,806 Grimy avantoe 1 Uncommon 4,754 Grimy kwuarm 1 Uncommon 2,787 Grimy cadantine 1 Uncommon 3,223 Grimy dwarf weed 1 Uncommon 11,271 Grimy ranarr 1 Rare 1,991 Grimy lantadyme 1 Rare 9,945
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Irit seed 1 Uncommon 225 Cactus seed 1 Uncommon 25 Toadflax seed 1 Uncommon 1,912 Poison ivy seed 1 Uncommon 49 Avantoe seed 1 Uncommon 3,273 Kwuarm seed 1 Uncommon 248 Cadantine seed 1 Uncommon 2,928 Belladonna seed 1 Uncommon 109 Morchella mushroom spore 4 Uncommon 1,776 Fellstalk seed 1 Uncommon 506 Lantadyme seed 1 Rare 43,895 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 2,568 Dwarf weed seed 1 Rare 59,964 Torstol seed 1 Very rare 19,823
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Banana  1–2 Common 286–572 Pineapple  2–8 (noted) Common 62–248 Plain pizza 1 Uncommon 214
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 22–748 Common Not sold Flax 20–30 (noted) Common 620–930 Super strength (1) 1 Common 274 Super ranging potion (1) 1 Uncommon 3,456 Bones 1,2 Uncommon 214–428 Big bones 1,2 Uncommon 536–1,072 Anagogic ort 20, 40 Uncommon Not sold Clue scroll (Hard) 1 Rare Not sold Spin ticket 1 Rare Not sold Kurask head 1 Very rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Very rare Not sold
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth improves the chances when equipped but is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 450, 3,000, 9,000, 10,000, 12,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,786 Uncut emerald 1 Common 3,373 Uncut ruby 1 Common 4,959 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 8,830 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 25,472 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 41,357 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 16,680 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,299 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,895 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,036 Rune javelin 5 Rare 910 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,060 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,772 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,394 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,089 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 844,750 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,516 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,963 Shield left half 1 Very rare 65,927 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,371 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 12,000 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,244,400 Rune arrow 150–200, 500 Rare 22,650–75,500 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,513,600 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 4,020,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 3,392,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 87,486 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 9,525 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 17,900–25,060 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 80,625–112,875 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 96 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 145 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 10,000–300,000 Nature rune 20–80 Rare 5,680–22,720 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,540 Law rune 45 Rare 15,570 Death rune 50, 121 Rare 5,200–12,584 Blood rune 50 Rare 11,350 Raw swordfish 125–250, 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 38,750–310,000 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 455,250–910,500 Big bones 150–500 (noted) Uncommon 80,400–268,000 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 25,050–1,252,500 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 469,950–2,506,400 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 11,000 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,034,600 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 3,906,000–27,342,000 Rune bar 1, 50, 150 (noted) Rare 12,961–1,944,150 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 66,693 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 119,400–1,194,000 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 135,390–541,560 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 58,260–582,600 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 48,250 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 8,739 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 73,337–3,666,850 Magic seed 1–7 Rare 153,607–1,075,249 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,439,890 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 2,568 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 19,823–614,513 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,012 Yew logs 100–20,000 (noted) Rare 48,200–9,640,000 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold
- Prior to the release of the Order of Ascension, it was possible to kill Kurasks (and Turoth) using any spell, as long as a Slayer staff or staff of light was equipped. This no longer works, and Slayer Dart is now required to kill them with magic, as had originally been intended.