|Release date||24 September 2002 (Update)|
|XP per kill||Unknown edit|
|Slayer XP||258 (296.7 with dragon slayer gloves)|
|Assigned by||Sumona, Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
|Always drops||Dragon bones and black dragonhide|
|Examine text||Was the biggest, meanest dragon around.|
- This article has a strategy guide here.
The King Black Dragon (often abbreviated to "the KBD") is the 28th strongest monster in RuneScape, but it was the strongest monster available to kill when it was released. He was the second dragon ever created by one of Kerapac's fellow dragonkin. One century later, he was released into the wild due to the failed experiments, but the Queen Black Dragon was held in captivity due to her being more close to dragonkin. Recently, the King Black Dragon has lost popularity since most of the loot that it drops may be acquired from monsters that are easier to kill, such as the Giant Mole in Falador Park. Mature Grotworms, in particular, are much easier to kill than the King Black Dragon, and frequently drop rune items. He is still fought, however, by clans or individuals looking to pass time or just for the experience of killing it. Additionally, many players choose to kill the King Black Dragon in hopes of receiving a draconic visage, or the KBD heads. Even though some easier monsters drop similar loot, the KBD drops high-priced items very often so it still can remain a good source of money. The King Black Dragon also has a very high rate drop of crimson charms, comparable to waterfiends and drops 4 of any charm at a time. Due to his stab and, in particular, range weakness the king black dragon can be used as a decent source of charms at higher levels, though rock lobsters and waterfiends are better unless you have a black dragons task. Another advantage of the King Black Dragon is that is it is usually not crowded with other players, so it is unlikely you will have to compete much with other players for kills.
The King Black Dragon was the highest level monster in the game until 7 September 2004 when it was replaced by the Kalphite Queen. Afterwards, it was the highest level monster in the Wilderness, but it was soon replaced by the Chaos Elemental. Afterwards, it was the highest level dragon but was replaced by the mithril dragon. It is now the highest level dragon in the Wilderness, as well as the second highest level chromatic dragon next to the Queen Black Dragon. The King Black Dragon is still the highest level monster in RuneScape Classic.
The King Black Dragon Lair
The King Black Dragon Lair is a multi-combat area, allowing groups of players to fight him simultaneously. The lair is a level 42 Wilderness dungeon near the Lava Maze (Watch out for PK'ers). The dungeon may be accessed via a ladder in a fenced area on the west end of the Lava Maze containing four Lesser Demons. The ladder leads to an area with poison spiders, and a lever which will teleport the character to the King Black Dragon's lair. The lair itself isn't in the Wilderness, but players are in the Wilderness until they pull the lever. If a player gets teleblocked, they can't pull the lever. Players also do not need to leave via ladder, as teleporting can be used to exit the lair.
It is common to use the obelisks located throughout the Wilderness, which will teleport you randomly to other obelisks in various places within by activating them, one of them being in level 44 Wilderness at the Frozen Waste Plateau, and another one being found south of the Lava Maze, which are both right near the KBD lair. It is worth noting that by using obelisks to traverse the Wilderness, you may come across PKers who could potentially kill, tele-block or poison you. This is especially notable at the obelisk near the Rogue's Castle, as the combat level range is great, it is a multi-combat area and the Chaos Elemental occasionally wanders near Rogue's Castle. Since one of the obelisks is in deep Wilderness, it is very likely you may get poisoned by other players, as well as being teleblocked, preventing you from using the obelisks. Also, the Chaos Elemental CAN come close to the obelisk, so it is highly advised to turn off auto-retaliate when using the obelisks.
The King Black Dragon uses melee when fighting and also uses 4 different types of dragon breath attack that have fairly devastating effects, which makes him a well-rounded and difficult foe. His 4 dragonbreath attacks consist of the following:
- Regular dragonfire. (All adult dragons have that)
- Shock-like breath that can reduce your stats. It is suggested that you have 75 defence or higher and good mage defence armour. All stats will be lowered by 1 or 2 points.
- Ice breath that can stop players from moving or attacking.
- Poison breath that will deal 80 poison damage. You should bring at least 1 anti poison potion if you want to kill him.
All of these breath attacks can deal heavy damage to unprepared players. Unlike other dragons, such as metallic dragons, there is no possible way to negate all but the melee and regular dragonfire. The breaths can deal various damage, using an Anti-dragon shield and a dose of Antifire or Super antifire will take the damage from the special breaths up to 100. The breath may also have a chance to do their special ability, but this is does not happen all the time. Rangers should take notice of this, as while soloing they will be subject to a large amount of damage if Dragonbane bolts are not used.
Suggestions for Fighting
An anti-dragon/dragonfire Shield is essential as all dragons can deal well over 500 life points of damage to a player not wielding one (unless you use a super antifire). Using an antifire potion in conjunction with an Antifire shield or a Dragonfire shield completely protects the player from the dragon's breath.
There are no specific levels required to fight this monster, but for players who wish to Melee in a team, having a combat level in the mid 80's should be enough and for players who wish to fight using Ranged in a team, having a Ranged level in the mid 60's will suffice for two to three kills if in a two man team with 70+ defence and using ruby bolts (e). If not then ranged level 85+ is recommended. It is also recommended for players to stand on either side of each other. This way the KBD will have to turn constantly to attack someone. (You can not use dwarf cannon, it will be destroyed)
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rune longsword 1 Common 18,711 Mithril battleaxe 1 Common 793 Mithril 2h sword 1 Common 1,265 Adamant 2h sword 1 Uncommon 3,381 Adamant hatchet 1 Uncommon 612 Black hatchet 1 Uncommon 296 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,584 Rune 2h sword 1 Rare 37,902
Arrows and Runes
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Blood rune 15, 50 Common 2,460–8,200 Death rune 7–50 Common 651–4,650 Air rune 105 Common 1,470 Fire rune 105 Common 1,050 Iron arrow 690 Common 5,520 Earth rune 105 Uncommon 1,155 Law rune 15,45 Uncommon 2,625–7,875 Steel arrow 150 Uncommon 1,800 Runite bolts 1–12 Uncommon 386–4,632 Nature rune 20–78 Rare 2,220–8,658 Rune arrow 45 Rare 8,955
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Amulet of strength 1 Common 1,119 Adamant platebody 1 Common 9,748 Rune sq shield 1 Rare 22,630 Dragon helm 1 Rare 59,980 Rune platebody 1 Very rare 38,842
Ores and Bars
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Iron ore 100 (noted) Uncommon 18,200 Adamant bar 1 Uncommon 3,231 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 10,900 Rune bar 1 Rare 13,025 Coal 100 (noted) Very rare 27,800
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 1,274 kills.
4 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 1–3,000 Common Not sold Yew logs 100(noted) Common 57,600 Runite limbs 1 Common 9,148 Shark 4 Uncommon 3,128 Black dragon tail-bone 1 Uncommon Not sold Oyster 1 Rare 56 Oyster pearls 1 Rare 707 King Black Dragon heads 1 Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (hard) 1 Rare Not sold Court summons 1 Rare Not sold Spin Ticket 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Very rare Not sold Draconic visage 1 Very rare 1,240,818
Rare drop table drops
|Show/hide rare drop table|
- The King Black Dragon can talk, as seen in A Tail of Two Cats. During the final cutscene he is visited by Bob the Jagex Cat. During the chat between the King and Bob, a range player attempts to solo the King, is unable to damage him, and is killed in one hit as he had no visible fire protection.
- Unlike most dragons, the King Black Dragon has not received the latest graphical update. Mod Wayne has confirmed that the King Black Dragon is soon going to receive a graphic update along with pet dragons, and POH dragons.
- Flametongue, a King Black Dragon that fought during the God Wars, shows that the King Black Dragon may not be the only of his kind.
- In a letter in the Postbag from the Hedge, the King Black Dragon makes references to "The Kin", possibly referring to the Dragonkin.
- The King Black Dragon has a unique melee, dragonfire and death animation unlike the metallic and chromatic dragons.
- It was revealed in the April 2011 BTS that the Kalphite Queen and the King Black Dragon were due to be married on 29 April 2011, to coincide with the wedding of Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton in the United Kingdom. However this turned out to be a marketing ploy by Diango.
- The examine text "The biggest, meanest dragon around" wasn't true after Queen black dragon was released, as the Queen black dragon is much, much bigger than KBD. Examine was changed due to this, to 'Was the biggest, meanest dragon around.'
- Despite having the examine text updated, if a player goes on their adventurer's log, the kills of a King Black Dragon will say "I killed (a King Black Dragon)/(# of King Black Dragons), the meanest, biggest dragon/s around." This may be an oversight from Jagex.
- According to the Third dragonkin journal the King Black Dragon is a failed project of a Dragonkin to copy the Queen Black Dragon that had been created by Kerapac.
Dragons and dragon-like races
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Black Dragon||Strongest monster in RuneScape||Kalphite Queen|