- This article has a strategy guide here.
|Release date||24 September 2002 (Update)|
|XP per kill||2265.5 (and 747.6 experience)|
|Assigned by||Sumona, Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
|Always drops||Dragon bones and black dragonhide|
|Examine text||Was the biggest, meanest dragon around.|
The King Black Dragon is an enormous, three-headed black dragon. He was the second dragon ever created by one of Kerapac's fellow dragonkin. One decade later, he was released, though he is much easier to kill than any of the God Wars generals.
The King Black Dragon can also be killed for Slayer if a player's task is black dragons. The bonuses of the Slayer helmet and the dragon slayer gloves apply on this monster if on a Black Dragon task. Players also gain a 10% damage bonus if they choose to travel through the wilderness to get to his lair instead of using the teleport at Edgeville. Players can gain a decent damage bonus on the King Black Dragon if they use all of these bonuses. This boost can be increased with a Dominion marker. He also has a damage cap of 5,000 for a normal attack, and 6,000 on a critical hit. Players should take this cap into account when using Incendiary Shot.
There are two ways that player's can reach the King Black Dragon's Lair.
- Northwest of the Edgeville lodestone is an Artefact. Activating it teleports the player to the lair.
- There is a ladder in level 42 of the Wilderness, near the western part of the Lava Maze. Wilderness Obelisks may be useful in reaching it. Players using this method may want to bring an antipoison for the poison spiders that they will encounter. Entering the lair via the Wilderness will give players a 10% damage boost against the King Black Dragon. Players must be wary of player killers, although the chance of encountering one is slim.
The King Black Dragon uses melee when fighting and also uses four different types of dragon breath attack that have fairly devastating effects, which makes him a well-rounded and difficult foe. His dragon breath attacks are:
- Regular dragonfire. (All adult dragons use this)
- Shock-like breath that can reduce your stats. It is suggested that you have 75 defence or higher and good magic defence armour. All stats will be lowered by 1 or 2 points. Super restores should be used but are not required.
- Ice breath that can stop players from moving or attacking.
- Poison breath that will deal 80 poison damage. You should bring at least 1 anti poison potion if you want to kill him.
All of these breath attacks can deal heavy damage to unprepared players. Unlike other adult dragons, there is no possible way to negate any form of attack except the melee and regular dragonfire. The breaths can deal various damage, though using an Anti-dragon shield and a dose of Antifire or Super antifire will take the damage from the special breaths down to 100. The attack also has a chance to do its special ability.
Suggestions for fightingEdit
An anti-dragon/dragonfire Shield in conjunction with an antifire potion are essential to fight the King Black Dragon, as without the dragon can hit well over 4,000. Make sure to have both the shield and antifire potion, otherwise the dragon can still hit over 2,000. A combo of an antifire potion, and protect from magic can serve a similar purpose, allowing you to use a two handed weapon, like a godsword, however, you will take a meager amount of magic damage. Around the 125-345 area.
There are no specific levels required to fight this monster, but for players who wish to melee in a team, having a combat level around 140 should be enough and for players who wish to fight using ranged in a team, having a ranged level in the mid 60's will suffice for two to three kills if in a two man team with 70+ defence and using ruby bolts (e). If not then ranged level 85+ is recommended. It is also recommended for players to stand on either side of the dragon, causing it to turn around constantly to attack. It is not possible to use a dwarf multicannon - it will be destroyed. Though ranged is a very good way to kill the dragon, it is not the only one - magic is also viable.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 1,334 kills.
4 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rune longsword 1 Uncommon 18,807 Rune battleaxe 1 Uncommon 24,557
Ammo and runesEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Blood rune 50 Common 14,450 Death rune 50 Common 7,950 Law rune 50 Uncommon 9,500 Mithril arrow 250 Uncommon 5,250 Rune arrow 50 Uncommon 9,950 Runite bolts 25 Uncommon 9,500
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rune sq shield 1 Uncommon 22,650 Rune platebody 1 Uncommon 38,723 Dragon helm 1 Rare 59,692 Dragon rider boots 1 Very rare 1,058,104 Dragon rider gloves 1 Very rare 1,241,983
Ores and barsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Adamant bar 1, 5 (noted) Uncommon 2,838–14,190 Rune bar 1,2 (noted) Uncommon 13,017–26,034 Silver ore 100 (noted) Uncommon 11,200 Gold ore 50 (noted) Uncommon 20,150 Runite ore 3 (noted) Uncommon 31,698
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 1,000–3,000 Common Not sold Yew logs 50 (noted) Common 26,250 Magic logs 10 (noted) Common 15,720 Black dragon tail-bone 1 Uncommon Not sold Last riders 1 Very rare Not sold King Black Dragon heads 1 Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Rare Not sold Spin ticket 1 Rare Not sold Court summons 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (hard) 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Very rare Not sold Draconic visage 1 Very rare 1,261,181 Dragon kite ornament kit (or) 1 Very rare 147,215 Dragon kite ornament kit (sp) 1 Very rare 103,005
- ^ Dropped alongside the common drop.
- ^ Dropped alongside the common drop.
- ^ Tail-bone drops only during the Fur 'n' Seek wish list.
- ^ Last Riders is dropped for everyone in the room when Dragon rider gloves or boots are dropped, unless the player has one in the bank or inventory.
- ^ Estimated at 1/60 according to player data of 1000 kills as of 3rd February 2013.
- ^ Estimated at 1/4,754 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012.
- ^ Dropped alongside the common drop.
- ^ Dropped alongside the common drop.
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster drops items from the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth improves the chances if equipped but is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250; 381; 450; 3,000; 9,000; 12,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,082 Uncut emerald 1 Common 1,884 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,172 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 7,110 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 10,649 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 17,280 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 12,885 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,457 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,857 Rune javelin 5 Rare 1,240 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,320 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,963 Rune spear 1 Very rare 12,049 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,917 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 842,850 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,650 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 32,283 Shield left half 1 Very rare 65,284 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,692 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 20,000 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,297,050 Rune arrow 150–200; 500 Rare 29,850–199 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,680,400 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 1,587,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 1,723,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 91,765 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 5,606 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 19,050–26,670 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 50,400–70,560 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 175 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 195 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 32,500–975,000 Nature rune 47–77 Rare 5,405–8,855 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,460 Law rune 45 Rare 8,550 Death rune 50; 121 Rare 159 Blood rune 50 Rare 14,450 Raw swordfish 125 – 250; 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 36,750–294 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 250,500–501,000 Big bones 150 – 500 (noted) Uncommon 68,100–227,000 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 38,850–1,942,500 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 214,200–1,142,400 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 11,200 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,056,600 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 2,838,000–19,866,000 Rune bar 1,50,150 (noted) Rare 13,017–1,952,550 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 75,768 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 85,700–857,000 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 103,980–415,920 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 91,330–913,300 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 64,750 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 5,694 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 60,155–3,007,750 Magic seed 1–6 Rare 163,646–981,876 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,017,430 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 2,087 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 51,085–1,583,635 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,000 Yew logs 100–20,000 (noted) Rare 52,500–10,500,000
- The King Black Dragon is a lower combat level than the regular black dragon, which is quite odd considering that it is a boss monster, and boss variants of a monster are stronger then the regular verisons.
- There is currently a graphical glitch that does not allow the player to see the King Black Dragon's drop when it drops along the edge of the rock in the middle.
- The King Black Dragon can talk, as seen in A Tail of Two Cats. During the final cutscene he is visited by Bob the Jagex Cat. During the chat between the King and Bob, R4ng3rNo0b889 attempts to solo the King, is unable to damage him, and is killed in one hit as he had no dragonfire protection at all.
- The King Black Dragon received a graphical update, along with more refined drops that a player would expect from a high level monster. Before the update, the drops of the King Black Dragon was similar to that of the Giant Mole.
- Despite being a boss dragon, the King Black Dragon's dragonfire can still be blocked with Protection prayers, and the dragonfire is treated as a chromatic variant, which is most likely an oversight from Jagex.
- Despite being a boss monster, for a while after the Evolution of Combat, the King Black Dragon could be tagged (a *). This was later fixed in an update.
- Even if the player goes into the melee range of the King Black Dragon, the King will still do just as many dragonfire attacks on the player as if they were ranging him. This is unusual as most types of dragons tend to use melee more often than dragonfire when they attack a player in melee range.
- Despite being able to poison players, the King Black Dragon can be poisoned. This may be an oversight from Jagex.
- Flametongue, a King Black Dragon that fought during the God Wars, shows that the King Black Dragon may not be the only of his kind.
- A while after the Queen Black Dragon was released, when you killed a King Black Dragon, the Adventurer's log said: "I killed a King Black Dragon, the biggest, meanest dragon around." After it's graphical update the adventurer's log was also changed to "I killed a King Black Dragon, which was once the biggest, meanest dragon around."
- In a letter in the Postbag from the Hedge, the King Black Dragon makes references to "The Kin", possibly referring to the Dragonkin.
- The King Black Dragon has a unique melee, dragonfire and death animation unlike the metallic and chromatic dragons.
- It was revealed in the April 2011 BTS that the Kalphite Queen and the King Black Dragon were due to be married on 29 April 2011, to coincide with the wedding of Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton in the United Kingdom. However this turned out to be a marketing ploy by Diango.
- The examine text "The biggest, meanest dragon around" wasn't true after Queen Black Dragon was released, as the Queen Black Dragon is much, much bigger than the King Black Dragon. His examine was changed due to this, to 'Was the biggest, meanest dragon around.'
- According to the Third dragonkin journal the King Black Dragon is a failed project of a Dragonkin to copy the Queen Black Dragon that had been created by Kerapac.
- According to the Last Riders book, Hannibus rode the King Black Dragon.
- According to the Last Riders Lore book, Hannibus and some of his fellow Dragonriders were brought to Gielinor by the Empty Lord (Zaros) and two of their last five riders worked with Zamorak to bring down Zaros. This then caused all of them to be hunted as both Zamorakians and Zarosians believed they had betrayed them.
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Black Dragon||Strongest monster in RuneScape||Kalphite Queen|
Dragons and dragon-like races
Rulers and Monarchs
Queen Ellamaria Remanis • King Roald Remanis III (current king of Varrock) • Tarquin Marjoribanks • King Claudius • King Botolph Remanis • King Roald Remanis I • King Roald Remanis II • The Five Princes of Misthalin
|Miscellania and Etceteria|
|Ape Atoll and Karamja|
|Land of Snow|
King Alvis • King Veldaban • Hreidmar • King rat • Sea Troll Queen • Queen Black Dragon • King Black Dragon • Spider Queen • The Pescallion • Walrus • Pest Queen • Queen of Sunrise • Fairy Queen • Penance Queen • Frog Prince • Frog princess • Flora • King Arthur • The Queen