|Release||24 September 2002 (Update)|
|Was the biggest, meanest dragon around.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|129 / 86 / 43|
4 ticks (2.4s)
The King Black Dragon (named Shakorexis by Hannibus) is an enormous, three-headed black dragon. He was the second dragon ever, created by Kerapac's fellow dragonkin Phalaks; a failed project intended to replicate the powerful Queen Black Dragon some time in or before the First Age. One decade later, he was released into the Wilderness.
Obtaining all of his unique drops is required for the title [Name] the Last Rider.
There are two ways that players can reach the King Black Dragon's Lair. Note that the lair itself is not considered part of the Wilderness, and therefore there is no risk of being killed by other players.
- There is a ladder in level 43 of the Wilderness, near the western part of the Lava Maze. Entering the lair with this method will grant players a 10% damage boost against the King Black Dragon. Wilderness Obelisks may be useful in reaching it. Players using this method may want to bring an antipoison for the poison spiders they will encounter, and be wary of player killers.
- Players can use either the artefact in the Wilderness wall north-west of the Edgeville lodestone, or the artefact in the Lava Maze Dungeon. Activating either one will teleport the player to the lair; however, using an artefact to enter will not grant players the damage boost the way using the ladder does.
The Third dragonkin journal mentions that another dragonkin created the King Black Dragon after seeing Kerapac's Queen Black Dragon. Although Kerapac noted that he was much smaller, he supposed that they could be used for breeding strong dragons which were immune to Jas' curse. The Fourth dragonkin journal mentions, however that the new dragons were too "bestial" and "broken", so the King Black Dragon was released into what would then be called the Wilderness.
Sometime during the Second Age, Zaros brought the Ilujanka to Gielinor after seeing them ride a similar race to the dragons. Calling them Dragon Riders, they were feared by their enemies due to their dragon-riding skills. It is shown through the Last riders book that Hannibus rode the King Black Dragon. However, due to Zaros failing to fulfil his promise, two of them decided to side with Zaros and another two with Zamorak. Hannibus and the King Black Dragon stayed neutral and watched as the others were killed off by both sides due to confusion. Hannibus and the King Black Dragon stayed in the room which they had been brought in, which is where the King Black Dragon resides to this day. However, the Mahjarrat Enakhra was determined to capture Hannibus. To increase the King Black Dragon's chances of survival, Hannibus left him and was eventually captured by Enakhra.
The King Black Dragon is also featured in some quests. In A Tail of Two Cats, Bob and Neite visit the King Black Dragon and ask him how he is feeling. He replies, saying adventurers try to kill him all day. Then the player spoof R4ng3rNo0b889 arrives and attacks him, calling him a "noob". KBD proceeds to kill him with dragonfire.
In One of a Kind, the player and Hannibus return to the King Black Dragon's lair after finding no leads on how to return to his homeworld. The King Black Dragon meets the player (if they had not killed him at least once), but also is shocked to find Hannibus with them, calling him an "old friend", and that they haven't met in a long time. After hearing the problem from Hannibus, he thinks he has a solution and leads them from his lair to some mysterious ruins, which also protects the two from any potential attackers. He tells them that their solution is behind the door and returns to his lair afterwards.
The King Black Dragon uses melee when fighting and also uses four different types of dragon breath attack that have fairly devastating effects, which makes him a well-rounded and difficult foe. His dragon breath attacks are:
- Regular dragonfire
- Shock-like breath that can reduce your stats. It is suggested that you have 70 Defence or higher and good magic defence armour. All stats will be lowered by 1 or 2 points. Super restores could come in handy here but are not required for players with high combat levels or bringing potions such as overloads.
- Ice breath that can stop players from moving or attacking.
- Poison breath that will deal 100 poison damage. You should bring at least 1 anti poison potion if you want to kill him. With the release of Invention, an augmented piece of armour with the Venomblood perk will completely negate the poison damage from this attack.
- There is no way to block the special dragonfire attacks, although the normal Dragonfire can be negated as normal. The breaths can deal various damage, though using an Anti-dragon shield and a dose of Antifire or Super antifire will take the damage from the special breaths down to 100. The attack also has a chance to do its special ability.
Suggestions for fightingEdit
An anti-dragon/dragonfire shield in conjunction with an antifire potion are essential to fight the King Black Dragon, as without the shield he can hit well over 4,000. With a shield, he won't hit higher than 900. If super antifire potions are used, a shield is not needed.
With a high defence level (recommended 70+) and Protect/Deflect Magic, like all chromatic dragons, the King Black Dragon's breath attack damage is significantly mitigated, even without armour. Using decent ranged armour, Protect/Deflect Magic, a method of prayer restoration (super restores recommended due to stat drain breath), it is easily possible to tank the dragonfire solo without using an anti-dragon shield with only low to mid tier food (lobsters, swordfish, monkfish). Players should be wary to maintain their prayer points and defence level, and not enter melee range throughout the fight.
There are no specific levels required to fight this monster, but for players wishing to solo, having a combat level around 80 and level 60-70 weapons should be enough for a few kills. For those fighting in a team, it is recommended for players to stand on either side of the dragon, causing it to turn around constantly to attack. Though ranged is a very good way to kill the dragon, melee and magic can be used as he does not have a specific weakness other than dragonbane ammunition.
The bonuses of the slayer helmet and the dragon slayer gloves apply on this monster if on a black dragon task. Players can gain a decent damage bonus on the King Black Dragon if they use all of these bonuses. This boost can be increased with a dominion marker.
It is not possible to use a dwarf multicannon in the lair - it will be destroyed.
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 1,185 kills.|
4 charms are dropped at a time.
|Mystic cloth||1–3 (noted)||Uncommon||4,208–12,624|
|Yew logs||50; 80 (noted)||Common||9,200–14,720|
|Magic logs||10 (noted)||Common||4,360|
|Rune arrow||50; 75; 100||Uncommon||7,600–15,200|
|Rune sq shield||1||Uncommon||21,723|
|Off-hand rune battleaxe||1||Uncommon||23,633|
|Gold ore||50 (noted)||Uncommon||9,050|
|Silver ore||100 (noted)||Uncommon||3,400|
|Rune bar||2 (noted)||Uncommon||27,470|
|Adamant bar||8 (noted)||Uncommon||21,160|
|Runite ore||3 (noted)||Uncommon||36,183|
|Uncut ruby||6 (noted)||Common||9,384|
|Wine of Zamorak||6||Rare||53,778|
|Dragon rider boots(m)||1||Very rare (1/2,000)[d 1]||1,672,233|
|Dragon rider gloves(m)||1||Very rare (1/2,000)[d 1]||716,722|
|Dragon kite ornament kit (sp)(m)||1||Very rare (1/2,000)[d 1]||12,143|
|Dragon kite ornament kit (or)(m)||1||Very rare (1/2,000)[d 1]||21,907|
|Off-hand rune longsword||1||Uncommon||17,983|
|Black dragon tail-bone(m)||1||Uncommon[d 2]||Not sold|
|King black dragon head(m)||1||Rare (1/128)[d 1]||Not sold|
|Starved ancient effigy(m)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Court summons(m)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Sealed clue scroll (hard)(m)||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Last riders||1||Very rare[d 3][d 4]||Not sold|
|Sealed clue scroll (elite)(m)||1||Very rare[d 5]||Not sold|
|Draconic visage||1||Very rare (1/5,000)[d 1]||1,276,588|
|King black dragon scale||1||Very rare[d 6]||Not sold|
- ^ a b c d e f Mod Shauny. Dev Blog: Revealing Drop Rates. 3 November 2017. (Archived from the original on 3 November 2017.)*
- ^ Tail-bone drops only during the Fur 'n' Seek wish list
- ^ Jagex. Mod Rowley's Twitter account. Mod Rowley: "Recent article is incorrect on this point. As it was previously stated/how you understand it is correct. Guaranteed on 2,000th solo kill."
- ^ Last Riders is dropped to all players (regardless of whether they participate in the kill, or are even in the room). It remains for approximately 30 seconds before disappearing. Base drop rate of 1/1,000, but after 1,000 kill count, each kill will decrease the denominator by 1, so it is a guaranteed drop on a solo kill with a kill count of at least 2,000.
- ^ There is a 1% chance of this being a sealed clue scroll (master) instead
- ^ Has a base drop rate of 1/2,500 with a threshold of 500.
Rare drop tableEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
Luck-enhancing items such as a ring of wealth or luck of the dwarves are not required to access the table.
|Show/hide rare drop table|
|Uncut diamond||45–55 (noted)||Rare||151,605–185,295|
|Loop half of a key||1||Common||16,861|
|Tooth half of a key||1||Common||20,145|
|Uncut dragonstone||45–55 (noted)||Rare||513,180–627,220|
|Rune platebody||15–25 (noted)||Rare||565,815–943,025|
|Shield left half||1||Rare||66,914|
|Onyx bolts||135–165||Very rare||1,076,490–1,315,710|
|Water talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||455,910–575,148|
|Earth talisman||65–82 (noted)||Rare||122,720–154,816|
|Fire talisman||25–35 (noted)||Rare||46,425–64,995|
|Raw lobster||135–165 (noted)||Common||28,350–34,650|
|Raw shark||225–275 (noted)||Uncommon||250,200–305,800|
|Big bones||68–82 (noted)||Uncommon||13,260–15,990|
|Dragon bones||180–220 (noted)||Rare||308,340–376,860|
|Gold ore||90–110 (noted)||Common||16,290–19,910|
|Adamantite ore||180–220 (noted)||Uncommon||233,640–285,560|
|Adamant bar||14–16 (noted)||Common||37,030–42,320|
|Adamant bar||135–165 (noted)||Rare||357,075–436,425|
|Runite ore||90–110 (noted)||Rare||1,085,490–1,326,710|
|Rune bar||3 (noted)||Common||41,205|
|Rune bar||45–55 (noted)||Rare||618,075–755,425|
|Grimy torstol||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||319,410–390,390|
|Grimy snapdragon||90–110 (noted)||Uncommon||145,890–178,310|
|Super restore (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||168,165–205,535|
|Prayer potion (4)||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||165,690–202,510|
|Dwarf weed seed||14–16||Uncommon||9,534–10,896|
|Palm tree seed||10||Rare||1,052,210|
|Molten glass||45–55 (noted)||Common||10,305–12,595|
|Soft clay||450–550 (noted)||Uncommon||184,500–225,500|
|Yew logs||68–82 (noted)||Uncommon||12,512–15,088|
|Yew logs||675–825 (noted)||Rare||124,200–151,800|
|Teak plank||45–55 (noted)||Uncommon||35,685–43,615|
|Mahogany plank||270–330 (noted)||Rare||379,890–464,310|
|Vecna skull||1||Very rare||355,192|
|Hazelmere's signet ring||1||Very rare||1,967,717,757|
|Brawling gloves (Melee)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Magic)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Ranged)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Agility)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Cooking)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (FM)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Fishing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Hunter)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Mining)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Prayer)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Smithing)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (Thieving)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Brawling gloves (WC)||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 1||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 2||1||Very rare||Not sold|
|Crystal triskelion fragment 3||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Mimic kill token||1||Very rare||16,455|
- One Final Ride ( 20) - Find and read the Last Riders book, dropped by the King Black Dragon.
- Changing Of The Guard ( 20) - Defeat the King Black Dragon while wearing black dragonhide in six equipment slots.
- Loyal Subject ( 20) - Get the King Black Dragon to fully degrade a mole anti-dragon shield.
- How to Shame your Dragon ( 0) - Obtained a collection of unique drops from the King Black Dragon.
- Three Heads are Deader than One ( 5) - Defeat the King Black Dragon several times depending on the tier.
- The King Black Dragon can talk, as seen in A Tail of Two Cats, One of a Kind and 2015 Christmas event.
- Flametongue, a King Black Dragon that fought during the God Wars, shows that the King Black Dragon may not be the only of his kind.
- For a while after the Evolution of Combat, despite being a boss monster, the King Black Dragon could be tagged, allowing the player who hit him first to receive the drop even if they did little or no damage. This has been fixed.
- It was revealed in the April 2011 BTS that the Kalphite Queen and the King Black Dragon were due to be married on 29 April 2011, to coincide with the wedding of Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton in the United Kingdom. However this turned out to be a marketing ploy by Diango.
- The examine text "The biggest, meanest dragon around" wasn't true after Queen Black Dragon was released, as the Queen Black Dragon is much, much bigger and stronger than the King Black Dragon. His examine was changed due to this, to "Was the biggest, meanest dragon around."
- A while after the Queen Black Dragon was released, when you killed a King Black Dragon, the Adventurer's log said: "I killed a King Black Dragon, the biggest, meanest dragon around." After its graphical update the adventurer's log was also changed to "I killed a King Black Dragon, which was once the biggest, meanest dragon around."
- According to his Top Trumps card, he is 10 meters tall and is over 13,000 years old, meaning he was created in or before the First Age, assuming that the commonly assumed lengths of the ages are accurate.
- The King Black Dragon was made available to free-to-play players on 29 February 2016.
- He used to have a damage cap of 5,000 for a normal attack, and 6,000 on a critical hit.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for this boss was 48,352 kills.
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. 2 Feb 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Boss in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. 6 May 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Boss in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"
King Black Dragon
|This template is about King Black Dragon|