|Release date||24 September 2002 (Update)|
|XP per kill||2,155.2 (and 711.2 experience)|
|Always drops||Dragon bones and black dragonhide|
|Examine text||Was the biggest, meanest dragon around.|
|Assigned by||Sumona, Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
Shakorexis, the King Black Dragon, is an enormous, three-headed black dragon. He was the second dragon ever created by one of Kerapac's fellow dragonkin; a failed project intended to replicate the powerful Queen Black Dragon some time in or before the First Age. One decade later, he was released into the Wilderness.
There are two ways that players can reach the King Black Dragon's Lair. Note that it is not considered part of the Wilderness, and therefore PvP is not possible.
- Northwest of the Edgeville lodestone is an Artefact. Activating it teleports the player to the lair.
- There is a ladder in level 56 of the Wilderness, near the western part of the Lava Maze. Wilderness Obelisks may be useful in reaching it. Players using this method may want to bring an antipoison for the poison spiders that they will encounter. Entering the lair via the Wilderness will give players a 10% damage boost against the King Black Dragon. Players must be wary of player killers, although the chance of encountering one is slim.
The King Black Dragon uses melee when fighting and also uses four different types of dragon breath attack that have fairly devastating effects, which makes him a well-rounded and difficult foe. His dragon breath attacks are:
- Regular dragonfire.
- Shock-like breath that can reduce your stats. It is suggested that you have 70 Defence or higher and good magic defence armour. All stats will be lowered by 1 or 2 points. Super restores could come in handy here but are not required for players with high combat levels.
- Ice breath that can stop players from moving or attacking.
- Poison breath that will deal 100 poison damage. You should bring at least 1 anti poison potion if you want to kill him.
- There is no way to block the special dragonfire attacks, although the normal Dragonfire can be negated as normal. The breaths can deal various damage, though using an Anti-dragon shield and a dose of Antifire or Super antifire will take the damage from the special breaths down to 100. The attack also has a chance to do its special ability.
Suggestions for fightingEdit
An anti-dragon/dragonfire shield in conjunction with an antifire potion are essential to fight the King Black Dragon, as without the dragon can hit well over 4,000. Make sure to have both the shield and antifire potion, otherwise the dragon can still hit over 2,000.
With a high defence level (recommended 80+) and Protect/Deflect Magic, like all chromatic dragons, the King Black Dragon's breath attack damage is significantly mitigated, even without armour. Using gear with a decent magic defence stat, Protect/Deflect Magic, a method of prayer restoration (Super Restores recommended due to stat drain breath), and Range/Magic, it is easily possible to tank the dragonfire solo whilst using dual/2-handed weaponry with low to mid tier food (Tuna, Lobsters, Swordfish). Players should be wary to maintain their prayer points and defence level, and not enter melee range throughout the fight.
There are no specific levels required to fight this monster, but for players who wish to melee in a team, having a combat level around 100 should be enough and for players who wish to fight using ranged in a team, having a Ranged level in the mid 60's will suffice for two to three kills if in a two man team with 70+ defence and using ruby bolts (e). If not then Ranged level 85+ is recommended. It is also recommended for players to stand on either side of the dragon, causing it to turn around constantly to attack. It is not possible to use a dwarf multicannon - it will be destroyed. Though ranged is a very good way to kill the dragon, it is not the only one - magic is also viable.
The bonuses of the slayer helmet and the dragon slayer gloves apply on this monster if on a black dragon task. Players can gain a decent damage bonus on the King Black Dragon if they use all of these bonuses. This boost can be increased with a dominion marker. He also has a damage cap of 5,000 for a normal attack, and 6,000 on a critical hit. Players should take this cap into account when using Incendiary Shot.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 3,484 kills.
4 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Rune longsword 1 Uncommon 18,323 Rune battleaxe 1 Uncommon 24,131 Rune 2h sword 1 Uncommon 37,356
Ammo and runesEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Blood rune 50 Common 19,900 Death rune 50 Common 13,150 Law rune 50 Uncommon 24,150 Mithril arrow 250 Uncommon 5,000 Rune arrow 50 Uncommon 7,550 Runite bolts 25 Uncommon 10,025
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Rune sq shield 1 Uncommon 21,988 Rune platebody 1 Uncommon 38,124 Dragon helm 1 Rare 59,600 Dragon rider boots 1 Very rare 2,142,567 Dragon rider gloves 1 Very rare 3,577,444
Ores and barsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Adamant bar 1, 5 (noted) Uncommon 2,845–14,225 Rune bar 1, 2 (noted) Uncommon 13,906–27,812 Silver ore 100 (noted) Uncommon 8,800 Gold ore 50 (noted) Uncommon 13,300 Runite ore 3 (noted) Uncommon 32,010
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Coins 1,000–3,000 Common Not sold Yew logs 50 (noted) Common 19,100 Magic logs 10 (noted) Common 10,350 Black dragon tail-bone 1 Uncommon Not sold Kbd head 1 Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Rare Not sold Court summons 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (hard) 1 Rare Not sold Last riders 1 Very rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Very rare Not sold Draconic visage 1 Very rare 1,378,081 Dragon kite ornament kit (or) 1 Very rare 58,628 Dragon kite ornament kit (sp) 1 Very rare 20,853
- ^ Tail-bone drops only during the Fur 'n' Seek wish list.
- ^ Last Riders is dropped to ALL players (regardless of whether they participate in the kill, or are even in the room) when Dragon rider gloves or boots are dropped, unless the player has one in the bank or inventory. It remains for approximately one minute before disappearing.
- ^ Estimated at 1/4,754 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012.
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 200–350,3,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,255 Uncut emerald 1 Common 2,751 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,546 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 5,843 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 32,996 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 42,167 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 15,502 Dragonstone 1 Rare 9,984 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,452 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,131 Rune javelin 5 Rare 840 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,280 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,356 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,419 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,478 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,529,400 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 21,988 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,603 Shield left half 1 Very rare 63,247 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,600 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 13,800 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,272,600 Rune arrow 150 Rare 22,650 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 107,406 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 16,022 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 134,875–188,825 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 131,350–183,890 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 973 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 424 Pure essence 1,000–1,500 (noted) Uncommon 15,000–22,500 Nature rune 60–80 Rare 17,280–23,040 Soul rune 20 Rare 3,780 Law rune 45 Rare 21,735 Death rune 50 Rare 13,150 Blood rune 50 Rare 19,900 Raw swordfish 125–250 (noted) Uncommon 51,375–102,750 Raw shark 250 (noted) Uncommon 327,500 Big bones 150–180 (noted) Uncommon 96,900–116,280 Coal 550–700 (noted) Uncommon 132,550–168,700 Adamantite ore 150–250 (noted) Uncommon 294,000–490,000 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 8,800 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,067,000 Rune bar 1 Common 13,906 Rune bar 50 (noted) Very rare 695,300 Clean toadflax 35–45 (noted) Uncommon 140,630–180,810 Clean snapdragon 30–35 (noted) Uncommon 150,900–176,050 Clean torstol 16–34 (noted) Uncommon 133,536–283,764 Snapdragon seed 1 Common 2,539 Torstol seed 1 Uncommon 36,153 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 6,519 Magic seed 3–7 Rare 414,126–966,294 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,137,860 Yew logs 450–550 (noted) Rare 171,900–210,100 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Melee) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Magic) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Ranged) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Agility) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Cooking) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (FM) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Fishing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Hunter) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Mining) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Prayer) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Smithing) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (Thieving) 1 Very rare Not sold Brawling gloves (WC) 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
- The King Black Dragon is a lower combat level than the regular black dragon, which is quite odd considering that it is a boss monster, and boss variants of a monster are stronger than the regular versions. Despite this, the King Black Dragon has more health and deals more damage than a regular black dragon.
- The King Black Dragon can talk, as seen in A Tail of Two Cats. During the final cutscene he is visited by Bob the Jagex Cat. During the chat between the King and Bob, R4ng3rNo0b889 attempts to solo the King, is unable to damage him, and is killed in one hit as he had no dragonfire protection at all.
- The King Black Dragon received a graphical update, along with more refined drops that a player would expect from a high level monster. Before the update, the drops of the King Black Dragon was similar to that of the Giant Mole.
- Flametongue, a King Black Dragon that fought during the God Wars, shows that the King Black Dragon may not be the only of his kind.
- For a while after the Evolution of Combat, despite being a boss monster, the King Black Dragon could get an asterisk, allowing the player who hit him first to receive the drop even if they did little or no damage. This has been fixed.
- In a letter in the Postbag from the Hedge, the King Black Dragon makes references to "The Kin", possibly referring to the Dragonkin.
- It was revealed in the April 2011 BTS that the Kalphite Queen and the King Black Dragon were due to be married on 29 April 2011, to coincide with the wedding of Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton in the United Kingdom. However this turned out to be a marketing ploy by Diango.
- The examine text "The biggest, meanest dragon around" wasn't true after Queen Black Dragon was released, as the Queen Black Dragon is much, much bigger and stronger than the King Black Dragon. His examine was changed due to this, to "Was the biggest, meanest dragon around."
- A while after the Queen Black Dragon was released, when you killed a King Black Dragon, the Adventurer's log said: "I killed a King Black Dragon, the biggest, meanest dragon around." After its graphical update the adventurer's log was also changed to "I killed a King Black Dragon, which was once the biggest, meanest dragon around."
- According to the Last Riders book, Hannibus rode the King Black Dragon.
- According to his Top Trumps card, he is 10 meters tall and is over 13,000 years old, meaning he was created in or before the First Age, assuming that the commonly assumed lengths of the ages are accurate.
- In the quest: One Of A Kind the conversation between Hannibus and the King Black Dragon suggests that they are friends and have not met in a long time due to Hannibus's imprisonment.
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Black Dragon||Strongest monster in RuneScape||Kalphite Queen|