- This article has a related strategy guide here.
|Release date||24 September 2002 (Update)|
|XP per kill||2,155.2 (and 711.2 experience)|
|Always drops||Dragon bones and black dragonhide|
|Examine text||Was the biggest, meanest dragon around.|
|Assigned by||Sumona, Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
The King Black Dragon is an enormous, three-headed black dragon. He was the second dragon ever created by one of Kerapac's fellow dragonkin; a failed project intended to replicate the powerful Queen Black Dragon some time in or before the First Age. One decade later, he was released into the Wilderness.
There are two ways that players can reach the King Black Dragon's Lair. Note that it is not considered part of the Wilderness, and therefore PvP is not possible.
- Northwest of the Edgeville lodestone is an Artefact. Activating it teleports the player to the lair.
- There is a ladder in level 56 of the Wilderness, near the western part of the Lava Maze. Wilderness Obelisks may be useful in reaching it. Players using this method may want to bring an antipoison for the poison spiders that they will encounter. Entering the lair via the Wilderness will give players a 10% damage boost against the King Black Dragon. Players must be wary of player killers, although the chance of encountering one is slim.
The King Black Dragon uses melee when fighting and also uses four different types of dragon breath attack that have fairly devastating effects, which makes him a well-rounded and difficult foe. His dragon breath attacks are:
- Regular dragonfire.
- Shock-like breath that can reduce your stats. It is suggested that you have 70 Defence or higher and good magic defence armour. All stats will be lowered by 1 or 2 points. Super restores should be used but are not required.
- Ice breath that can stop players from moving or attacking.
- Poison breath that will deal 80 poison damage. You should bring at least 1 anti poison potion if you want to kill him.
All of these breath attacks can deal heavy damage to unprepared players. Unlike other adult dragons, there is no possible way to negate any form of attack except the melee and regular dragonfire. The breaths can deal various damage, though using an Anti-dragon shield and a dose of Antifire or Super antifire will take the damage from the special breaths down to 100. The attack also has a chance to do its special ability.
Suggestions for fightingEdit
An anti-dragon/dragonfire shield in conjunction with an antifire potion are essential to fight the King Black Dragon, as without the dragon can hit well over 4,000. Make sure to have both the shield and antifire potion, otherwise the dragon can still hit over 2,000. A combo of an antifire potion, and protect from magic can serve a similar purpose, allowing you to use a two handed weapon, like a godsword, however, you will take a meager amount of magic damage.
There are no specific levels required to fight this monster, but for players who wish to melee in a team, having a combat level around 140 should be enough and for players who wish to fight using ranged in a team, having a Ranged level in the mid 60's will suffice for two to three kills if in a two man team with 70+ defence and using ruby bolts (e). If not then Ranged level 85+ is recommended. It is also recommended for players to stand on either side of the dragon, causing it to turn around constantly to attack. It is not possible to use a dwarf multicannon - it will be destroyed. Though ranged is a very good way to kill the dragon, it is not the only one - magic is also viable.
The bonuses of the slayer helmet and the dragon slayer gloves apply on this monster if on a black dragon task. Players can gain a decent damage bonus on the King Black Dragon if they use all of these bonuses. This boost can be increased with a dominion marker. He also has a damage cap of 5,000 for a normal attack, and 6,000 on a critical hit. Players should take this cap into account when using Incendiary Shot.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 3,085 kills.
4 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rune longsword 1 Uncommon 18,379 Rune battleaxe 1 Uncommon 24,096
Ammo and runesEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Blood rune 50 Common 13,750 Death rune 50 Common 5,800 Law rune 50 Uncommon 14,750 Mithril arrow 250 Uncommon 5,250 Rune arrow 50 Uncommon 7,500 Runite bolts 25 Uncommon 11,625
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rune sq shield 1 Uncommon 22,382 Rune platebody 1 Uncommon 38,153 Dragon helm 1 Rare 60,925 Dragon rider boots 1 Very rare 462,673 Dragon rider gloves 1 Very rare 1,189,136
Ores and barsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Adamant bar 1, 5 (noted) Uncommon 4,017–20,085 Rune bar 1, 2 (noted) Uncommon 13,101–26,202 Silver ore 100 (noted) Uncommon 11,100 Gold ore 50 (noted) Uncommon 19,900 Runite ore 3 (noted) Uncommon 31,722
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 1,000–3,000 Common Not sold Yew logs 50 (noted) Common 28,950 Magic logs 10 (noted) Common 14,370 Black dragon tail-bone 1 Uncommon Not sold Kbd head 1 Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Rare Not sold Court summons 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (hard) 1 Rare Not sold Last riders 1 Very rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Very rare Not sold Draconic visage 1 Very rare 1,283,059 Dragon kite ornament kit (or) 1 Very rare 96,201 Dragon kite ornament kit (sp) 1 Very rare 37,654
- ^ Tail-bone drops only during the Fur 'n' Seek wish list.
- ^ Last Riders is dropped to ALL players (regardless of whether they participate in the kill, or are even in the room) when Dragon rider gloves or boots are dropped, unless the player has one in the bank or inventory. It remains for approximately one minute before disappearing.
- ^ Estimated at 1/4,754 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012.
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 450; 3,000;
9,000; 10,000; 12,000
Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,745 Uncut emerald 1 Common 3,207 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,929 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 8,277 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 26,832 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 43,227 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 17,444 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,940 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,777 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,096 Rune javelin 5 Rare 895 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,000 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,396 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,284 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,432 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 838,850 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,382 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 31,320 Shield left half 1 Very rare 64,625 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 60,925 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 18,600 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,271,250 Rune arrow 150–200, 500 Rare 22,500–75,000 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,556,000 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 3,075,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 2,450,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 146,706 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 11,876 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 36,925–51,695 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 72,750–101,850 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 185 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 388 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 8,500–255,000 Nature rune 20–80 Rare 6,780–27,120 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,820 Law rune 45 Rare 13,275 Death rune 50, 121 Rare 5,800–14,036 Blood rune 50 Rare 13,750 Raw swordfish 125–250, 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 50,875–407,000 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 450,000–900,000 Big bones 150–500 (noted) Uncommon 83,850–279,500 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 28,200–1,410,000 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 445,050–2,373,600 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 11,100 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,057,400 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 4,017,000–28,119,000 Rune bar 1, 50, 150 (noted) Rare 13,101–1,965,150 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 92,103 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 100,550–1,005,500 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 114,180–456,720 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 53,310–533,100 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 112,750 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 7,941 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 88,291–4,414,550 Magic seed 1–7 Rare 195,100–1,365,700 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,167,440 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 1,957 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 19,661–609,491 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,372 Yew logs 50–20,000 (noted) Rare 28,950–11,580,000 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold
- Universal drops are dropped by every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Key token 1 Rare Not sold
- The King Black Dragon is a lower combat level than the regular black dragon, which is quite odd considering that it is a boss monster, and boss variants of a monster are stronger than the regular verisons. Despite this, the King Black Dragon has more health and deals more damage than a regular Black dragon.
- The King Black Dragon can talk, as seen in A Tail of Two Cats. During the final cutscene he is visited by Bob the Jagex Cat. During the chat between the King and Bob, R4ng3rNo0b889 attempts to solo the King, is unable to damage him, and is killed in one hit as he had no dragonfire protection at all.
- The King Black Dragon received a graphical update, along with more refined drops that a player would expect from a high level monster. Before the update, the drops of the King Black Dragon was similar to that of the Giant Mole.
- Flametongue, a King Black Dragon that fought during the God Wars, shows that the King Black Dragon may not be the only of his kind.
- For a while after the Evolution of Combat, despite being a boss monster, the King Black Dragon could get an asterik, allowing the player who hit him first to recieve the drop even if they did little or no damage. This has been fixed.
- In a letter in the Postbag from the Hedge, the King Black Dragon makes references to "The Kin", possibly referring to the Dragonkin.
- It was revealed in the April 2011 BTS that the Kalphite Queen and the King Black Dragon were due to be married on 29 April 2011, to coincide with the wedding of Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton in the United Kingdom. However this turned out to be a marketing ploy by Diango.
- The examine text "The biggest, meanest dragon around" wasn't true after Queen Black Dragon was released, as the Queen Black Dragon is much, much bigger and stronger than the King Black Dragon. His examine was changed due to this, to "Was the biggest, meanest dragon around."
- A while after the Queen Black Dragon was released, when you killed a King Black Dragon, the Adventurer's log said: "I killed a King Black Dragon, the biggest, meanest dragon around." After it's graphical update the adventurer's log was also changed to "I killed a King Black Dragon, which was once the biggest, meanest dragon around."
- According to the Last Riders book, Hannibus rode the King Black Dragon.
- According to his Top Trumps card, he is 10 meters tall and is over 13,000 years old, meaning he was created in or before the First Age, assuming that the commonly assumed lengths of the ages are accurate.
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Black Dragon||Strongest monster in RuneScape||Kalphite Queen|
King Black Dragon
Dragons and dragon-like races
Rulers and Monarchs
|Miscellania and Etceteria|
|Ape Atoll and Karamja|
|Land of Snow|
King rat • Sea Troll Queen • Queen Black Dragon • King Black Dragon • Spider Queen • The Pescallion • Walrus • Pest Queen • Queen of Sunrise • Fairy Queen • Penance Queen • Frog Prince • Frog princess • Flora • The Queen • Ice Queen • Baxtorian • Glarial • Ice Troll King • Kalphite King • Kalphite Queen • Exiled Kalphite Queen • Jadinko Queen