- This article has a strategy guide here.
|Release date||24 September 2002 (Update)|
|XP per kill||2,155.2 (and 711.2 experience)|
|Always drops||Dragon bones and black dragonhide|
|Examine text||Was the biggest, meanest dragon around.|
|Assigned by||Sumona, Duradel or Lapalok, Kuradal|
The King Black Dragon is an enormous, three-headed black dragon. He was the second dragon ever created by one of Kerapac's fellow dragonkin; a failed project intended to replicate the powerful Queen Black Dragon. One decade later, he was released into the Wilderness.
There are two ways that player's can reach the King Black Dragon's Lair.
- Northwest of the Edgeville lodestone is an Artefact. Activating it teleports the player to the lair.
- There is a ladder in level 56 of the Wilderness, near the western part of the Lava Maze. Wilderness Obelisks may be useful in reaching it. Players using this method may want to bring an antipoison for the poison spiders that they will encounter. Entering the lair via the Wilderness will give players a 10% damage boost against the King Black Dragon. Players must be wary of player killers, although the chance of encountering one is slim.
The King Black Dragon uses melee when fighting and also uses four different types of dragon breath attack that have fairly devastating effects, which makes him a well-rounded and difficult foe. His dragon breath attacks are:
- Regular dragonfire.
- Shock-like breath that can reduce your stats. It is suggested that you have 70 Defence or higher and good magic defence armour. All stats will be lowered by 1 or 2 points. Super restores should be used but are not required.
- Ice breath that can stop players from moving or attacking.
- Poison breath that will deal 80 poison damage. You should bring at least 1 anti poison potion if you want to kill him.
All of these breath attacks can deal heavy damage to unprepared players. Unlike other adult dragons, there is no possible way to negate any form of attack except the melee and regular dragonfire. The breaths can deal various damage, though using an Anti-dragon shield and a dose of Antifire or Super antifire will take the damage from the special breaths down to 100. The attack also has a chance to do its special ability.
Even if the player goes into the melee range of the King Black Dragon, the King will still do just as many dragonfire attacks on the player as if they were ranging him.
Suggestions for fightingEdit
An anti-dragon/dragonfire shield in conjunction with an antifire potion are essential to fight the King Black Dragon, as without the dragon can hit well over 4,000. Make sure to have both the shield and antifire potion, otherwise the dragon can still hit over 2,000. A combo of an antifire potion, and protect from magic can serve a similar purpose, allowing you to use a two handed weapon, like a godsword, however, you will take a meager amount of magic damage.
There are no specific levels required to fight this monster, but for players who wish to melee in a team, having a combat level around 140 should be enough and for players who wish to fight using ranged in a team, having a Ranged level in the mid 60's will suffice for two to three kills if in a two man team with 70+ defence and using ruby bolts (e). If not then Ranged level 85+ is recommended. It is also recommended for players to stand on either side of the dragon, causing it to turn around constantly to attack. It is not possible to use a dwarf multicannon - it will be destroyed. Though ranged is a very good way to kill the dragon, it is not the only one - magic is also viable.
The bonuses of the slayer helmet and the dragon slayer gloves apply on this monster if on a black dragon task. Players also gain a 10% damage bonus if they choose to travel through the Wilderness to get to his lair instead of using the teleport at Edgeville. Players can gain a decent damage bonus on the King Black Dragon if they use all of these bonuses. This boost can be increased with a dominion marker. He also has a damage cap of 5,000 for a normal attack, and 6,000 on a critical hit. Players should take this cap into account when using Incendiary Shot.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 1,918 kills.
4 charms are dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 15 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rune longsword 1 Uncommon 18,772 Rune battleaxe 1 Uncommon 24,154
Ammo and runesEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Blood rune 50 Common 12,250 Death rune 50 Common 4,750 Law rune 50 Uncommon 16,150 Mithril arrow 250 Uncommon 5,250 Rune arrow 50 Uncommon 7,450 Runite bolts 25 Uncommon 4,425
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rune sq shield 1 Uncommon 22,326 Rune platebody 1 Uncommon 37,485 Dragon helm 1 Rare 59,686 Dragon rider boots 1 Rare 439,081 Dragon rider gloves 1 Rare 857,751
Ores and barsEdit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Adamant bar 1, 5 (noted) Uncommon 3,808–19,040 Rune bar 1,2 (noted) Uncommon 13,042–26,084 Silver ore 100 (noted) Uncommon 10,900 Gold ore 50 (noted) Uncommon 19,700 Runite ore 3 (noted) Uncommon 30,900
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 1,000–3,000 Common Not sold Yew logs 50 (noted) Common 24,250 Magic logs 10 (noted) Common 14,370 Black dragon tail-bone 1 Uncommon Not sold Kbd head 1 Uncommon Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Rare Not sold Spin ticket 1 Rare Not sold Court summons 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (hard) 1 Rare Not sold Last riders 1 Rare Not sold Clue scroll (elite) 1 Very rare Not sold Draconic visage 1 Very rare 1,341,976 Dragon kite ornament kit (or) 1 Very rare 79,409 Dragon kite ornament kit (sp) 1 Very rare 48,911
- ^ Tail-bone drops only during the Fur 'n' Seek wish list.
- ^ Last Riders is dropped for everyone in the room when Dragon rider gloves or boots are dropped, unless the player has one in the bank or inventory.
- ^ Estimated at 1/4,754 using gathered Adventurer's Log data as of 18 September 2012.
Rare drop table dropsEdit
- This monster has access to the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth improves the chances when equipped but is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250 – 450, 3,000, 9,000, 10,000, 12,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,674 Uncut emerald 1 Common 3,238 Uncut ruby 1 Common 4,426 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 8,413 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 24,360 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 38,813 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 16,873 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,294 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,751 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 24,154 Rune javelin 5 Rare 890 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,060 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,745 Rune spear 1 Very rare 10,935 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,549 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 837,550 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,326 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 32,114 Shield left half 1 Very rare 66,610 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,686 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 13,400 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,279,050 Rune arrow 150–200, 500 Rare 22,350–74,500 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,511,800 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 3,651,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 3,131,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 90,518 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 9,924 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 16,250–22,750 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 79,600–111,440 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 99 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 119 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 10,500–315,000 Nature rune 20–80 Rare 5,520–22,080 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,500 Law rune 45 Rare 14,535 Death rune 50, 121 Rare 4,750–11,495 Blood rune 50 Rare 12,250 Raw swordfish 125–250, 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 37,625–301,000 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 424,000–848,000 Big bones 150–500 (noted) Uncommon 79,050–263,500 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 24,600–1,230,000 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 467,100–2,491,200 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 10,900 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,030,000 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 3,808,000–26,656,000 Rune bar 1, 50, 150 (noted) Rare 13,042–1,956,300 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 66,297 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 109,525–1,095,250 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 136,530–546,120 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 61,100–611,000 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 53,500 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 8,928 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 74,111–3,705,550 Magic seed 1–7 Rare 165,336–1,157,352 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,478,890 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 2,500 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 20,066–622,046 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,184 Yew logs 100–20,000 (noted) Rare 48,500–9,700,000 Crystal triskelion fragment 1 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 2 1 Very rare Not sold Crystal triskelion fragment 3 1 Very rare Not sold
- The King Black Dragon is a lower combat level than the regular black dragon, which is quite odd considering that it is a boss monster, and boss variants of a monster are stronger then the regular verisons. Despite this, the King Black Dragon has more health and deals more damage then a regular Black dragon.
- The King Black Dragon can talk, as seen in A Tail of Two Cats. During the final cutscene he is visited by Bob the Jagex Cat. During the chat between the King and Bob, R4ng3rNo0b889 attempts to solo the King, is unable to damage him, and is killed in one hit as he had no dragonfire protection at all.
- The King Black Dragon received a graphical update, along with more refined drops that a player would expect from a high level monster. Before the update, the drops of the King Black Dragon was similar to that of the Giant Mole.
- Flametongue, a King Black Dragon that fought during the God Wars, shows that the King Black Dragon may not be the only of his kind.
- For a while after the Evolution of Combat, despite being a boss monster, the King Black Dragon could get an asterik, allowing the player who hit him first to recieve the drop even if they did little or no damage. This has been fixed.
- In a letter in the Postbag from the Hedge, the King Black Dragon makes references to "The Kin", possibly referring to the Dragonkin.
- It was revealed in the April 2011 BTS that the Kalphite Queen and the King Black Dragon were due to be married on 29 April 2011, to coincide with the wedding of Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton in the United Kingdom. However this turned out to be a marketing ploy by Diango.
- The examine text "The biggest, meanest dragon around" wasn't true after Queen Black Dragon was released, as the Queen Black Dragon is much, much bigger and stronger than the King Black Dragon. His examine was changed due to this, to "Was the biggest, meanest dragon around."
- A while after the Queen Black Dragon was released, when you killed a King Black Dragon, the Adventurer's log said: "I killed a King Black Dragon, the biggest, meanest dragon around." After it's graphical update the adventurer's log was also changed to "I killed a King Black Dragon, which was once the biggest, meanest dragon around."
- According to the Last Riders book, Hannibus rode the King Black Dragon.
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Black Dragon||Strongest monster in RuneScape||Kalphite Queen|
Dragons and dragon-like races
Rulers and Monarchs
|Miscellania and Etceteria|
|Ape Atoll and Karamja|
|Land of Snow|
King rat • Sea Troll Queen • Queen Black Dragon • King Black Dragon • Spider Queen • The Pescallion • Walrus • Pest Queen • Queen of Sunrise • Fairy Queen • Penance Queen • Frog Prince • Frog princess • Flora • The Queen • Ice Queen • Baxtorian • Glarial • Ice Troll King • Kalphite King • Kalphite Queen • Exiled Kalphite Queen • Jadinko Queen