|Release date||9 May 2005 (Update)|
|Tradeable?||Yes, when fully repaired or completely damaged|
|High alch||30,000 coins|
|Low alch||20,000 coins|
|Destroy||Drop (If you drop this item it will break. Are you sure you want to drop it?)|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Exchange price|| Broken:|
|Examine||Karil the Tainted's leatherbody.|
Karil's top is ranged armour worn in the body slot that is part of Karil the Tainted's set of barrows equipment. To wear Karil's top, a player must have 70 Defence and 70 Ranged. Karil's top ties with Armadyl chestplate as the third best ranged armour after Pernix and Serenic armours. Also the Armadyl chestplate has a +1 prayer bonus, and ranged damage bonus while the Karil's top does not, but Karil's top has a better life bonus and a better defence bonus.
Being part of Karil's barrows set, if Karil's top is worn along with all of the other pieces of equipment in Karil's barrows set the player receives a special effect. The old effect was on successful attacks with Karil's crossbow against a player, there is a chance that it may temporarily lower that player's Agility level. The new effect lowers the target's magic level. This piece of armour cannot be made using the Crafting skill.
- Karil's top is only tradeable when undamaged or fully broken.
- If you drop this item or place it on a table, it will degrade to "0".
A player wearing Karil's top.
|[view] • [talk]|
Barrows equipment degrades as it is used. Equipment received from the Barrows minigame is fully repaired and can be used for 15 hours of combat until it degrades completely and requires repair before it can be used again. Barrows armour degrades even if the player is using protection prayers or not taking damage. Like the Crystal ward and crystal bow, Barrows equipment does not suffer in performance as it degrades from fully repaired to fully degraded. Fully repaired Barrows items start out with no numbers in their names, e.g. Karil's top. It will become Karil's top 100 the first time it's used in combat. Eventually it will degrade to Karil's top 75, then 50, then 25 and finally 0 at which point the armour will be unusable until repaired. Additionally, Barrows equipment may only be traded if fully repaired or fully degraded.
When dropped or lost on death (even when placed under a gravestone), any piece of Barrows equipment will automatically degrade to 0. Players who attempt to drop Barrows equipment will receive a warning message about this.
There are two ways to repair Barrows armour. Players can talk to any of the NPCs listed below and they will repair the items for a price, or repair the pieces themselves using an armour stand in any player-owned house. The equipment can be repaired at any stage, and the cost will be adjusted according to how much it has degraded. The repair costs below are as if the equipment has fully degraded.
The following NPCs can repair the armour:
- Bob - the axe seller in Lumbridge
- Tindel Marchant - the weapon and armour repairman at Port Khazard
- Dunstan - the smith in Burthorpe
- Squire - in the workshop area of the Void Knights' Outpost
| Costs to repair|
|NPC||POH Armour Stand|
|Level 1 Smithing||Level 99 Smithing|
|The price is exactly 50% when operating a Smithing cape.|
Enter your smithing level here to calculate how much it would cost to repair the Karil's top on an Armour stand:
template = Barrows repair/calc form = repairForm result = repairResult param = price||270000|hidden param = level|Smithing Level (1-105)|1|int|1-105
- In a hidden update on 17 March 2010, Jagex changed the name of this item from "Karil's leathertop" to "Karil's top".
- At one point, the entire Karil's set could be bought for slightly over 200k. The price has risen since then due to the release of the Corporeal Beast, the God Wars Bosses, including Nex, the primary popular bosses that require a large magic defence bonus to fight efficiently.
- There is currently a glitch that happens while Fishing with a harpoon. The top will lift up on your character, which will expose a thin line of your avatar's skin.
- After the graphical update, when your Karil's top degraded to 75, the inventory icon reverted to the old graphical appearance of Karil's top. This has been patched.
- The price of karil's armour dropped quickly after the release of Royal dragonhide armour, which was once its superior.