For the equipment set, see Karil the Tainted's equipment.
|Release date||9 May 2005 (Update)|
|XP per kill||1000 (and 330 experience)|
|Examine text||A vengeful spirit corrupted by dark magic.|
Karil the Tainted is the fourth oldest of the seven Barrows brothers. Karil's crypt is located in the lower south end of the Barrows area. He attacks with ranged using his 2-handed crossbow and bolt racks. Unlike his brothers, Karil uses the new style of his weapon released during the Evolution of Combat, and attacks at the speed of a current 2-handed crossbow.
Karil's set effect: Karil's Taint, allows his hits to have a chance to reduce the player's magic level. When this effect is activated an animation and sound effect are triggered, and the player will suffer a loss of a magic level. This effect is not very damaging to a player, however his hits are rather accurate so protection prayers/curses are advised. Soul split can also be used, but should only be utilised by experienced players.
Karil is weak to stab attacks, but is also rather weak to melee styles in general, therefore it is recommended to use a strong weapon such as a Zamorakian spear, or Chaotic rapier or Drygore rapier in conjunction with their off-hand variants. However other weapons such as the Chaotic Maul can also take down Karil just as easily.
It is common for many players attempting to slay the Barrows brothers to kill him with magic as it saves having to bring another combat style, however if this is the case caution should be taken when fighting Karil as he will deal heavier damage to mages than to melee fighters.
Since the release of the Evolution of Combat it is possible to loot two new items associated with Karil: Karil's pistol crossbow and Karil's off-hand pistol crossbow, which both use bolt racks as ammunition. Neither of these weapons are used by Karil himself, however.
During the Morytania-Misthalin wars, the Barrows brothers were devastating the Undead armies, cutting through their lines with ease. Karil was known for his secrecy and accuracy in battle; "Should any enemy manage to survive long enough, and have the chance to strike a blow, Karil would fire a swathe of bolts to pepper their chest as they took their swing, throwing them back, " this is a quote taken from The Fall of Six under the Lores section of Runescape.
- Karil, along with all the other barrows brothers, received a graphical update on 4 January 2012 to make him look more like a player wearing his items rather than the old graphics style which displayed an unclear, purely pink coloured apparition. Along with this, his combat level was increased from 98 to 121. Due to the Evolution of Combat, his combat level has been raised to 150.
- Although Karil uses range, he can do more damage to players with melee armour than Ahrim can, even though Ahrim uses battle magic. This is because Ahrim also uses his high-level curse spells on the player and occasionaly uses his Fire Wave, unlike Karil, who just has a basic ranged attack.
- Despite being a ranger and using his own armour (which would have high magic defence), before the EoC, he could be hit extremely often with magic attacks. This would suggest that he would have a low magic level, or may be an oversight from Jagex.
- Before the Evolution of Combat, Karil drained Agility levels from the player.
- Karil's crossbow seems to be based off the real life Chu-ke nu, an ancient Chinese crossbow that used a rapid fire system. If this is true, this could also explain why Ak-Haranu sells the required bolt racks, as he is from the Eastern Lands and the Eastern Lands seem to be based on the ancient/medieval Far East. This supports the idea that Sliske, who gave the Barrow Brothers their armour, obtained them from the Eastern Lands.
- In "The Fall of Six", Karil is depicted as being the fastest of the brothers, though due to the Evolution of Combat update his crossbow is not as fast as other crossbows.
- In the wallpaper, Karil, along with Guthan and Ahrim, hold their weapons in one hand although all Barrows weapons are two-handed.
|Ahrim the Blighted|
|Dharok the Wretched|
|Guthan the Infested|
|Karil the Tainted|
|Torag the Corrupted|
|Verac the Defiled|
|Akrisae the Doomed|
Culinaromancer's gloves 10 (barrows-themed gloves)