Players who wish to fight her should not take her lightly. She is very difficult to kill and can hit very high and rapidly. Recommended stats would be 80+ Attack, 80+ Strength,60+ Defence and 75+ Ranged. 37 Prayer is a must, although 43 is recommended.
(Easily soloed multiple times after EoC with combat stats 80+ using full Verac's, Amulet of Fury, Berserker Ring, Dragon Boots, Culinaromancer's Gloves 10, Fire Cape/Skill Cape, Karil's Top, Karil's Skirt, Crystal Bow, Turmoil/Anguish, 1 Super Set, 1-2 Prayer Potions (4), 12-15 Shark, and 1 Antipoison++ (4). No Summoning Familiar is needed but it is recommended to bring a War Tortoise worth of extra Shark if you are not comfortable with boss fights. Momentum first form with full Verac's, keep Protect/Deflect Magic and Turmoil up. On second form switch to Crystal Bow, Karil's Top, Karil's Skirt, Protect/Deflect Melee, and Anguish then spam Range abilities.) Usually you can get 2-4 Kills per inventory and if you are on a slayer task it can take a long time to finish it, but you will receive around 400K for a task of 200.
It is recommended to bring a summoning familiar with you. This can potentially be a fighting familiar (iron/steel titan) to aid you in the battle or a beast of burden (spirit terrorbird/war tortoise) to carry extra supplies. However a healing familiar such as the unicorn stallion is touted to be more useful.
- 10-20 dreadnips can be VERY useful during the fight. They hit very high with typeless damage, so they can damage both forms. They can also poison the queen for 108 damage, which will last even after she changes shape, and stun the queen, which will make standing inside the queen a temporary safespot when you need to heal. Now that dreadnips are a one-click option (provided that you have targeted something), there is no need to worry about getting to low health when deploying these.
- Anti-poison potion or super antipoison potion - Highly recommended as the guardians' poison starts at ~25. You also have soldiers that can poison you possibly on your way to the queen. But if you have 70+ Armour it may not be needed as you may have enough Life Points to just have it not matter to much.
- Two ropes to access the lair (only for your first time, but redundant in future trips or if you came through the third room.)
- Super/extreme set or an overload potion.
- Prayer potions/super prayers/prayer renewals/super restores
- One click teleport for emergency reasons (such as the ectophial or teleportation tablet).
- Food to heal yourself (generally the best available, such as rocktail, sharks, manta rays, or tuna potatoes. High levels can take some monkfish if they have a good team.)
- A black mask/slayer helmet/full slayer helmet for extra damage (ONLY if kalphites are the player's Slayer task.)
The Queen was commonly fought in teams of two. The tactic is to stand each player on opposite sides of the Queen; one in front of her and one behind her. This is done for two reasons: 1) She has to turn 180 degrees to damage either of you, so she will rapidly turn between you, and thus hitting you as little as possible, and 2) so her ranged attack can no longer ricochet from one player to another. Her magic attack however will ricochet between each person. It is highly recommended to pray Protect from Magic at all times, but if you do have Soul Split that is a great way to keep your health up during the battle if you are hitting quite high.
One of the best armour sets for fighting the Kalphite Queen pre-EOC was considered to be a full set of Verac's armour, since the special effect of the Verac's set has a chance to ignore protection prayer and defence bonuses, and the flail has a good crush attack bonus. The set also provides good melee and ranged defence bonuses. This makes it also possible to use melee against the second form with much success. Higher levelled players have increasingly been able to solo the Queen, particularly as more and more powerful items are being released.
However, since the Evolution of Combat, most people will typically bring a melee/range weapon and armour switch for the first and second forms respectively. If you have it, the Void Knight/Elite Void Knight set will work better, especially with Soul split and the highest level curses available, because armour rating does not seem to matter much against the Kalphite Queen. For this reason, the best damage per second possible is the better option.
If you have completed As a First Resort... , using the spa pool at Oo'glog before going to the hive can be very useful, as the spas boost both Prayer and life points and give unlimited amount of run energy for a time. The spas also give temporary immunity to poison, but this will wear off before the player is able to kill the Queen, so anti-poison protection will still be needed besides the spa.
You might get poisoned by kalphite soldiers or guardians while making your way through the lair. If so, just drink a dose of antipoison potion, or Super Anti-Poison as this will be more useful because it keeps Poison from coming back for a little over 2 minutes.
Once you enter the Queen's room, you can prepare yourself for the battle; steps may include drinking boosting potions, turn on prayers or summoning the familiars you brought if you haven't done so already. The Queen wanders around the other side of the room and cannot reach you here, but she can move around to about halfway through her chamber and attack you.
As you run to the queen she will start attacking you. Her ranged and magic attacks are the most dangerous so Protect from Magic is the most recommended prayer to use, since it covers the bad magic defence of your melee armour. While her magic attacks are nullified, your armour will help defend against her ranged and melee attacks. Still, even with very high ranged defence and damage soaking her projectiles will still hit high, so keep a close eye on your health when she starts to use it.
Keep an eye on your health and Prayer points. During the battle you may be attacked by the kalphite guardians which wander around the room. If so, it is best to turn off your auto retaliate and ignore them. You can also take advantage of the Queen's size by moving yourself so that the guardian is on the opposite side of the Queen to you, in which case the guardian cannot attack you. If you brought a beast of burden, replenish your supplies as you use them.
After the first form is defeated, you will have a small window of time to prepare yourself for the next form, such as switching attack styles and eating/drinking supplies. You can also switch your familiar during this time. If you managed to defeat the first form, but can't take on the second one, teleport away to restock and come back once you have a new supplies of food and potions. She will remain at the other side of the room and she remains at the form you took her into before you escaped.
In her second form she starts to summon a lot of kalphite workers. They are weak, but come in great numbers. It is now necessary to turn off auto retaliate if you haven't done so already. She also uses Protect from Melee in this form, so many players switch to ranged or continue to use Verac's set.
The Kalphite Queen is very difficult to solo, and should only be attempted by players highly experienced in boss fights. To effectively solo her in one trip, near-maxed stats are essential. Bring at least super potions (overload and extreme potions highly recommended), and Piety/Turmoil. Verac's set is very effective here as well, providing decent bonuses and hitting through the 2nd form's prayer quite often. Void armour is also very effective, as a maxed player using Overload potions and Turmoil/Anguish/Torment with Soul Split, as well as level 80+ two-handed/dual-wield weaponry, can almost completely heal off her. If not using void, then magic gear in non-body and -leg slots is recommended for defense against her melee attacks.
As always when attempting dangerous battles, bring a one-click teleport. House teletabs are recommended, as you may sometimes die upon arriving at your teletab destination if you wait until you are very low on health before clicking. A typical high-levelled player might bring the following equipment:
- Chaotic maul/Dual Drygore Weaponry > Dual Chaotic Weaponry > Godsword/Zamorakian spear/Saradomin sword
- Torva platebody>Verac's brassard/Bandos chestplate or Full Void if you think you can out hit with Soul Split .
- Torva platelegs>Verac's plateskirt/Bandos tassets
- Royal crossbow>Zaryte bow>Dual Chaotic crossbow>Hand cannon
- Pernix body>Armadyl chestplate or Void Archer if you think you can outhit with Soul Split which is easily done.
- Pernix chaps>Armadyl chainskirt
- Chaotic staff>Armadyl battlestaff>Virtus wand/Staff of light/Polypore Staff
- Virtus robe top>Ganodermic poncho>Subjugation garb/Ahrim's robe top
- Virtus robe legs>Ganodermic leggings>Subjugation gown/Ahrim's robe skirt
- Virtus mask>Ganodermic visor/Torva full helm
- Completionist cape/TokHaar-Kal/Max cape/Fire cape/Soulwars cape/Skill Cape
- Amulet of Fury/Saradomin's whisper AND Saradomin's murmur OR Saradomin's hiss/Arcane stream necklace
- Virtus gloves/Torva gloves > Culinaromancer's gloves/Ganodermic gloves
- Virtus boots/Torva boots/Steadfast boots/Ragefire boots > Ganodermic boots > Boots of subjugation
- Berserker ring (i)/Onyx ring (i) > Berserker ring
- Penance aura(You will not need more than 1 prayer potion for the duration of this aura, especially at the Exiled Kalphite Queen)
- As previously stated, Void armour can be used for both forms as long as you feel you can outhit the attacks with Soul Split on.
- Super Prayer/Prayer potion/Prayer renewal
- Teleport to House
- Rocktails, and pack your BoB with these too
- Healing aura scrolls if you brought a unicorn stallion.
Alternatively, the fish can be replaced with saradomin brews and super restores.