Jagex Moderators, also known as Staff Moderators, Jagex Mods, JMods, or admins are employees working for Jagex Ltd. Jagex Moderator accounts are only used for work purposes such as play-testing, debugging, attending one-to-one meetings ("surgeries"), and dealing with in-game situations. There are currently just under 500 Jagex Moderators.
Jagex Moderator accounts will always have a gold crown () beside their name when in public chat, as well as a gold glow around their posts with a gold avatar background when posting on the forums. Jagex Moderator usernames will always begin with "Mod", although Ian, Paul, and Andrew Gower's usernames were simply "Ian", "Paul", and "Andrew".
Employees can only login to a Jagex Mod account while connected to Jagex's designated server. They navigate the RuneScape website using a staff portal, a webpage that gives them quick access to moderation tools.
|Audio Developers||Audio Developers create, compose, and manage the music in Jagex's games, including RuneScape.|
|Content Developers||Content Developers are the people behind creating concepts of and developing larger scale content updates. They code the content that goes into Jagex's games.|
|Community Management||Members of the Community Management (CM) team specialise in communicating with players. They ensure that everyone is getting the best experience out of Jagex's games, and feedback any comments from the community back to the company.|
|Quality Assurance||The Quality Assurance (QA) team make sure that all developed updates and future content are suitable for release. They check the quality and usability of all content.|
- This is not a definitive list of all employees, rather those that are notable.
|Alex Fry||Mod Moltare||Senior Game Designer||2009|
|Andrew Hopkins||Mod Deg||Content Developer||2013|
|Ashleigh Bridges||Mod Ash||Content Developer||2005|
|Ashley Shaw||Mod Asherz||Technical Developer||2011|
|Benjamin Luff||Mod Chaplain||Graduate Gameplay Programmer||2016|
|Daniel Rogers||Mod Doctor||Content Developer||2012|
|David Osborne||Mod Osborne||Lead Designer for RuneScape||2006|
|Emma Hall||Mod Mohawk||Technical Developer||2014|
|Frédérique Gower||Mod Maylea||Content Developer||2006|
|Grace Docksey||Mod Grace||Audio Developer||2008|
|Helen Dodd||Mod Helen||Lead Technical Developer||2013|
|Ian Hunter||Mod Hunter||Senior Technical Developer|
|Ian Taylor||Mod Ian||Audio Developer||1999|
|James Crowther||Mod Raven||Content Developer||2007|
|Jamie Reid||Mod Orion||Content Developer||2015|
|John Payce||Mod Pi||Game Engine Developer||2011|
|Ken Murdock||Mod Giragast||Senior Game Engine Developer||2011|
|Kevin Grantham||Mod Daze||Senior Content Developer||2009, 2011|
|Krista Goalby||Mod Krista||Scrum Master||2010|
|Kyle Robson||Mod Ramen||Content Developer||2016|
|Liam Powney||Mod Liam||Lead Content Developer, Product Owner||2005|
|Mark Ogilvie||Mod Mark||Design Director||2003|
|Marion C||Mod Maz||RuneScape Training and Developer Lead||2005|
|Nick M||Mod Ollo||Content Developer|
|Stuart W||Mod Stu||Senior Content Developer||2006|
|Tom W||Mod Tom||Content Developer|
|Oliver Hind||Mod Ollie||Senior Designer (unannounced project)||2013|
|Paul Broadbridge||Mod Nexus||Technical Developer||2006|
|Phil Mansell||Mod Pips||CEO||2017|
|Roderick Copeland||Mod Roderick||Senior Content Developer||2007|
|Ryan Philpott||Mod Ryan||Content Developer||2013, 2016|
|Shaun Akerman||Mod Shauny||Community Manager, RuneScape||2014|
|Stephen Lord||Mod Lord||Head of Audio||2011|
|Stephen Rowley||Mod Rowley||Content Developer||2006|
|Thomas Burke||Mod Tomb||Content Developer||2016|
|Thomas Sweeney||Mod Balance||Head of Community Management||2013|
|Tim Chadfield||Mod Tim||Gameplay Programmer||2005|
|Tim Fletcher||Mod Jack||Senior Game Designer||2010|
|Adam Bond||Mod Bond||Audio Developer||2006─ 2017|
|Adam Ritchie||Mod Adam R||Sound Designer||2009─ 2014|
|Ana Steiner||Mod Ana||Lead Developer||2010─ 2015|
|Andrew Gower||Andrew||Founder||2001─ 2010|
|Anthony Wilson||Mod Wilson||Senior Content Developer||2005─ 2016|
|Benny Peczek||Mod Benny||Senior Systems Designer||2007─ 2015|
|Chihiro Yamada||Mod Chihiro||Senior Game Designer||2006─ 2012|
|Chris Jolley||Audio Developer||2006─ 2009|
|Christoph Vietzke||Mod Fetzki||Head of RuneScape||2005─ 2012|
|Christopher Emmerson||Mod Rathe||Content Developer||2005─ ?|
|Christopher Long||Mod Chris L||Principle Content Developer||2007─ 2015|
|Constant Tedder||CEO||2001─ 2007|
|Dan Atkinson||Mod Dan A||Audio Developer||2006─ 2008|
|Dylan Cook||Mod Dylan||Content Developer||2004─ 2013|
|Frederick Horgan||Mod Avatar||Content Developer||2011─ 2016|
|Geoff Iddison||CEO||2007─ 2009|
|Graham Bennett||Lead Game Designer||2002─ 2010|
|Greg Veit||Mod Greg||Content Developer||2005─ 2007|
|Iain Hetherington||Audio Developer||2008─ 2009|
|Ian Gower||Ian||Engine Developer, Old School RuneScape||2001─ 2016|
|Ingrid Jendrzejewski||Mod Ingrid||Content Developer||2007─ 2009|
|James Brandon||Mod James||Senior Game Designer||2003─ 2014|
|John Ayliff||Mod John A||Senior Content Developer||2005─ 2014|
|Lewis Macguire||Mod Liono||Senior Content Developer||2008─ 2014|
|Mark Michael Gerhard||Mod MMG||CEO||2008─ 2014|
|Matt Ham||Mod Newmatic||Content Developer||2006─ 2009|
|Matthew Holland||Mod Hew||Design Team Leader||2008─ 2015|
|Michael Manning||Audio Developer||2011─ 2015|
|Nancy Janzig||Mod Nancy||Lead Technical Developer||2006─ 2012|
|Patrick Newcombe||Mod Trick||Content Developer||2008─ 2011|
|Paul Gower||Paul||Co-founder||2001─ 2011|
|Rod Cousens||CEO||2013─ 2017|
|Sam Jones||Audio Developer||2009─ 2011|
|Sebastian Davies||Mod Edam||Senior Game Designer||2009─ 2013|
|Tytn Hays||Mod Tytn||Lead Developer||2002─ 2010|
|Vince Farquharson||Mod Vince||Head of RuneScape||2008─ 2009|
|Vincent Van Moppes||Mod Vincent||Game Designer||2004─ 2005|
There are a range of abilities that Jagex Moderators possess. They can:
- Use the tools that PMods and FMods have to moderate the game and the forums, as well as being able to issue bans. They also have these abilities on other games and services owned by Jagex.
- Use the rotten potato, an in-game item that has multiple uses, including healing to full, accessing the bank, and sending bots to Botany Bay.
- Turn invisible.
- Add or remove items from their inventory. Any items dropped aren't visible to other players.
- Modify their skills, including their combat level.
- Teleport to any location by holding CTRL and clicking on the minimap. Alternatively, they can double click a location on the world map.
- Use the developer console in order to change many variables associated with their in-game account, such as quest progress and completion. It can also be used to teleport to players, among other commands.
- Transform into any NPC.
- Pass, walk on and teleport over physical boundaries (no-clip).
- Make themselves vulnerable or invulnerable to all forms of attack.
- Kick/ban players from a friends chat or clan chat that doesn't belong to them.
- Access member areas while playing in a free-to-play world.
- Spawn NPCs in any location.
- Wear the Jagex Moderator outfit.
- View chat messages that are no longer visible in the chatbox.
- Start a Jagex Moderator Event and give out event cards. They can run community scenarios using the pickled cabbage, and access the JMod Toolbox interface.
- Edit other player's posts.
- Make threads into sticky threads, causing them to be displayed at the top of the forum.
- Lock threads and edit titles. These actions cannot be reversed by forum moderators.
- Mod Paupersen (anagram for 'Made up Person') was a fake Jagex Moderator that was featured in the 2010 April Fools joke.
- Players cannot create accounts that have 'Mod' in their name to prevent confusion and scams. One early player created the account "Mod Element" before this restriction was implemented but was later required to change his name. Mod Element has since been used by an actual employee of Jagex.
- JMod accounts exist with NPC names such as Avalani, Wiz Chambers, and Sliske. They were used by Jagex employees to post on the forums during the Cryptic Clue Fest II, Tuska Comes, and Sliske's Christmas Adventure events.
- T. S. Church was given a JMod account in order to do a Q&A regarding his novel Betrayal at Falador.
- Players used to be able to trade with and attack Jagex Moderators whenever they wanted, however an update now prevents players from doing so.
- Players can throw a gnomeball to a JMod, but they can only throw it to other JMods.
- If a JMod is reported for Staff Impersonation, a message will state "You cannot report that person for Staff Impersonation, they are Jagex Staff. You can spot a Jagex Moderator by the gold crown next to their name. You can report that person under a different rule."
- Messages sent by a JMod in any channel can be seen regardless of if a player has their messages turned off, including private messages.
- Players cannot bless gravestones that belong to a JMod.
- Jagex Moderators never appear on HiScores, and their adventurer's log is set to private.
- JMods can mute each other. They can also be muted by Player Moderators and ChatWatch.
- JMods could still get random events while they existed.
- The combat level of a Jagex Moderator always appears in red.
- JMods cannot sit on the Throne of Fame.
- ^ Jagex. "New In-Game Player Moderators." 14 June 2004. RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod Jane. "Q&A Answers 17th Feb." General Forums.
- ^ Andrew Hopkins | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Ashley Shaw | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Benjamin Luff | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Daniel Rogers | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Emma Hall | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Helen Dodd | LinkedIn.*
- ^ James Crowther | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Jamie Reid | LinkedIn.*
- ^ John Payce | LinkedIn.*
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p Ken Murdock | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Kyle Robson | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Jagex. "New kids on the block." RuneScape News.
- ^ Mod Shauny. "Meet the Ninjas!." 12 July 2017. RuneScape Forums.
- ^ Oliver Hind | Professional Profile.*
- ^ Paul Broadbridge | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Roderick Copeland | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Ryan Philpott | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Stephen Rowley | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Thomas Burke | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Tim Chadfield | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Tim Fletcher | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Adam Bond | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Benny Peczek | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Christoph Vietzke | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Dylan Cook | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Ingrid Jendrzejewski | LinkedIn.*
- ^ a b James Brandon. LinkedIn.
- ^ John Ayliff | LinkedIn.*
- ^ Jagex. Mod Selfie's Twitter account. 22 September 2014.