|Farming level||Cannot be grown|
|Examine||Members world: Choking ivy, ready to be cut down.|
Free world: Some ivy.
Ivy, referred to in the skill guide and its members examine text as choking ivy, is a vine which grows upon several walls throughout Gielinor and may be chopped down by members for woodcutting experience. It was released along with the Woodcutting Rebalance update on 23 September 2009. Level 68 Woodcutting is required to chop this vine, and no items are directly obtained through chopping the vine other than obtaining 1-2 strange rocks if you have not already received them from woodcutting. When an ivy vine is chopped down the remains will be an ivy stump. The respawn rate is 36 seconds, and chopping grants 332.5 Woodcutting experience (665 with Bonus experience). This provides the second most Woodcutting experience of any flora with a single chop, only behind the crystal tree. With Bonus experience and all 4 pieces of lumberjack clothing, you can get 681.6 experience per ivy.
Ivy was designed to give fast experience without any monetary rewards apart from bird's nests, which are known to contain rings and seeds that can be worth up to 106,398 coins. Therefore, many players choose to wear a strung rabbit foot while cutting to increase the number of bird's nests received. This "tree" does not require any trips to the bank (except to bank birds nests). Woodcutting urns of all types do not collect any scraps when cutting ivy.
It is recommended to cut ivy at a location like Falador. Places like Varrock generally have a lot of players, which often means less experience/hour.
Cutting ivy in Prifddinas with the Voice of Seren in the Crwys sector will result in a 20% exp boost to all skill actions. This results in 399 experience per successful cut. You can obtain crystal geodes from cutting Ivy when the Voice of Seren is activated.
Your experience per hour will vary, depending on your Woodcutting level. Approximate average experience per hour rates are as follows:
|Level||Exp/hour||With Voice of Seren|
Although being slower than methods such as the Sawmill, arctic pines, and teak trees, ivy is by far the most popular means of training Woodcutting at higher levels because it requires very little input from the player to cut.
- North wall of Varrock Palace, near the 3 yew trees. (4 spots)
- South-east outer wall of Varrock Palace, next to tree Farming patch. (5 spots)
- North side of the north wall of Falador, a little south from Gamers' Grotto entrance. (7 spots)
- Eastern end of the south side of the south wall of Falador, a little north of the allotment patch. (7 spots)
- South-east of Taverley, near the hot air balloon. (5 spots)
- East wall of East Ardougne church, just west of Handelmort's Mansion. (5 spots)
- North side of the north wall of Yanille, south-east of Yanille Dungeon. (6 spots)
- South wall of Castle Wars, south of the Saradomin base. (7 spots)
- Crwys Clan area, Prifddinas. (9 spots)
- On 31 December 2009 the cutting animation of ivy was accelerated.
- The animation now takes around 4.66 seconds. This does not affect the frequency or amount of ivy cut.
- From 25 October 2011, the day of Bot Nuking, when choking ivy regrew after being chopped down, it would not be there but there would still be a Chop option. This was a glitch, but some thought it could be a tactic used to stop bots from cutting this altogether. Logging out and back in appeared to reset the ivy. This bug is no longer constant, but still appears occasionally.
- At most, 70 ivy can be chopped from a single ivy plant.
- There is a glitch where if you have a dragon hatchet in your inventory (not equipped), it would look as though you were chopping the ivy with whatever item you had equipped in your hands, or, if you had nothing equipped, you would chop ivy with your fists.
- Approximately 37,259 chopped ivy will grant you 12,408,249 woodcutting experience, equivalent to 68-99 woodcutting.