|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Ore||Iron ore (212 coins)|
|This rock contains iron.|
Iron ore rocks is a protruding rock containing iron. A player with a Mining level of 15 or higher can mine iron ore from rocks found in various mines, granting 35 Mining experience for each ore mined. After being mined, an iron rock takes between 5 and 10 seconds to respawn, which depends on the amount of players on the server.
Iron is the most popular ore that free-to-play players power-mine for experience. Using a rune pickaxe, a player can extract the iron ore from the rock in one strike, while mining copper, tin, or clay takes two or three strikes.
Iron ore rocks that are close to a bank include the East Varrock mine (bank at East Varrock bank), Iron ore rocks near Port Khazard (bank at the Port Khazard deposit box), the Piscatoris Fishing Colony (bank inside the colony - must have completed Swan Song - also an excellent place to power-mine), right outside of the Mining Guild (bank at East Falador bank, or with Level 15 Dungeoneering, you can use Deposit Box in Dwarven Mine resource dungeon), and the iron ore rocks south of East Ardougne (bank at South bank). For the daring and adventurous, the Steel mine in the level 8 wilderness north of Edgeville also offers a few iron ore rocks.
- Bandit camp mining site - 16 rocks
- Dwarven mine - 9 rocks
- Al Kharid mining site - 8 rocks
- Rimmington mining site - 6 rocks
- South-east Varrock mining site - 4 rocks
- South-west Varrock mining site - 3 rocks
- Edgeville dungeon mine - 3 rocks
- North Edgeville mining site - 2 rocks
- Falador mining site - 3 rocks
- Legends' Guild mining site - 11 rocks
- Fight Arena mining site - 9 rocks
- Dorgeshuun mine - 9 rocks
- Abandoned Mine - 8 rocks
- Grand Tree mine - 8 rocks
- Jatizso mine - 7 rocks
- South-east Ardougne mining site - 6 rocks
- Ardougne sewers mine - 5 rocks
- Evil Chicken's Lair - 4 rocks
- Keldagrim south-west mine - 4 rocks
- Desert Mining Camp - 3 rocks
- Piscatoris mining site - 3 rocks
- Karamja mining site - 1 rock
- Pirates' Hideout mining site - 1 rock
Iron ore, like all other mined rocks, respawns at a rate inversely proportional to the number of people in the rock's RuneScape world. If the world is empty, the ore respawns in 10 seconds; if it is full (with 2000 players), it respawns in 5 seconds. Thus the respawn rate of iron ore is
where x is the number of players in the world.
A table of respawn rates is given below.
|Respawn time (s)||10.0||9.5||9.0||8.5||8.0||7.5||7.0||6.5||6.0||5.5||5.0|
- There was a popular place to mine iron in the mining area near Al Kharid, which has a place in the mine where there are three rocks in a triangle formation, making the player able to mine iron faster due to the three respawns. After the dungeoneering resource dungeon update, the triangle formation changed.
- There are some spots where the graphics for the iron ore rocks have not been updated, including the mining spot to the East of East Ardougne.