|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|High Alch||10 coins|
|Low Alch||6 coins|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Exchange price||329 coins (info)|
|Examine||Can be smelted into an iron bar. Used in Smithing (15).|
Iron ore is unrefined iron. A player with a Mining level of 15 or higher can mine iron ore from iron ore rocks found in various mines, granting 35 Mining experience for each ore mined. This gives a player 980 experience per inventory. Iron ore's respawn times differ according to the number of players within a world; on average one respawn takes 10 seconds. Lower level players often use it to train with, because of the moderate experience, low respawn time, and relatively low required level to mine and smith. If done fast, mining and dropping iron ores can result in 30k exp/hr, one of the fastest methods to train mining. If mined fast with an urn, theoretically up to 45,000 experience can be gained each hour.
With a Divination level of at least 17, 3 copper ore or tin ore may be transmuted into 1 iron ore. This costs 2 flickering energy and yields 3.7 Divination experience. With a Divination level of at least 22, 3 iron ore may be transmuted into 1 silver ore. This costs 2 bright energy and yields 5.2 Divination experience. With a Divination level of at least 29, 3 iron ore may be transmuted into 1 coal. This costs 2 bright energy and yields 6 Divination experience.
Players with 15 or higher Smithing can smelt iron ore into an iron bar by using it on a furnace, granting 12.5 Smithing experience. Initially, there is only a 50% chance that you will be able to get a bar out of an iron ore unless smelted while a player is wearing a ring of forging using the Superheat Item spell from a normal spell book, in which case the chance will be 100%. Note: A ring of forging only lasts for 140 smelts. The chance that a player will successfully smelt a piece of iron ore will increase by 1% with each Smithing level, up until the player reaches 45 Smithing, giving the player an 80% chance to smelt the ore.
Another way to get iron ore is as a drop. The flesh crawler is known to drop iron ore regularly.
There are number of ways to maximise exp gained from mining iron, including dropping ores while walking to and from rocks. This can easily boost exp rates from 20k per hour to well over 30k.
Unlike most ores, the chance of smelting iron ore into iron bars correctly is not 100%, but is between 50% and 80% depending on your Smithing level. At level 15 Smithing, you have a 50% chance of each ore becoming a bar, and the chance increases by 1% every level to a maximum of 80% at level 45. When the player reaches level 45, they get a message via the smithing guide icon saying "Your chance of smelting Iron Bars has reached its maximum." Once made, iron bars can then be used on anvils to create iron items.
A player can also smelt an iron ore into a steel bar by using it on a furnace along with 2 coal or just one using the Blast Furnace, granting 17.5 Smithing experience. This requires level 30 Smithing and has a 100% success rate.
Iron ore, currently worth 329 coins, is often a good source of money for low level players. Sometimes it is even more worthwhile to make iron bars (522 coins), even with the risk of failing to smelt the bar.
A member can efficiently collect iron ore through one of the following methods:
- Piscatoris mining site (three formation) - Use a spirit kyatt to teleport to the Piscatoris Hunter area and mine iron ore, then use a ring of duelling to teleport to Castle Wars. Bank, and repeat or players who don't have the Summoning level required can use a phoenix lair teleport and then run north east, mine, and then use the ring of duelling to bank.
- Legends' Guild mining site (three formation) - Teleport to Ardougne by means of a player owned house portal (it is cheaper than the regular teleport), and then run to the mine south of the Legends' Guild. Mine iron ore at the three rock formation. Use a ring of duelling to teleport to Castle Wars, bank, and repeat.
- Players that have activated Fairy Rings can teleport to Legends Guild with Fairy Code BLR, run south and mine iron from the mine and go back to Zanaris to bank then repeat.
- Alternatively, the south Ardougne bank isn't too far of a run away.
- Ardougne Monastery (several 2 formations, 2 steps to a third rock)- An extremely efficient method is to use any Ardougne cape to teleport to the monastery just south of Ardougne which has four coal and six iron rocks in front of it and two iron rocks just west, then use a duelling ring or Amulet of Glory to bank. Alternatively, one might use a ring of kinship to bank, as it has unlimited charges.
- Dorgeshuun Mines - At the Dorgeshunn Mine (requires completion of The Lost Tribe), mining iron ore is very effective as the bank is only one click away, by right clicking the Goblin Mistag and following him out of the mine which takes players straight to the Lumbridge Castle Cellar where there is a bank (for players that have started Recipe For Disaster).
- Falador mining site (2 formation) - A very effective way is to teleport to Falador and jump over the wall on the west side (requires 5 Agility) and go west to the mining spot. It contains three iron, along with some copper, tin, and coal. Once players have a full inventory they can run back to the Falador bank or go smelt it in the furnace just east of the bank.
- Members can also use the mine to the south in Keldagrim where there are around 4 iron rocks. After The Giant Dwarf quest there is easy access to a bank. The Keldagrim cart system provides quick access to the city and is also free.
- Members who completed The Grand Tree can access the secret mining cave (where the player fights the quest boss). Run west and then far north, until you reach King Narnode. North of the king is a wall of roots. Push them. (If you're doing the quest and you're at the part to speak to the king, you HAVE to complete the quest in order to get past the roots.) Once passed, the farthest western area contains 7 iron spots. As great as this seems, it has a catch. Due to this cave being very helpful to miners, there is NO bank deposit. One must drop the ores to continue mining or go to the gnome bank and run through the cave again, which consumes much time.
There are also several ways for a non-member player to obtain iron. These include:
- There are nine iron rocks in the Al-Kharid Mine, with the Al Kharid bank south of that. This area tends to be quite crowded though.
- The mine in Rimmington contains six iron rocks, along with clay, gold, tin, and copper. There is no bank nearby, but players may use the deposit box in nearby Port Sarim.
- There are three iron rocks in the mine south-west of Varrock, with one of the many Varrock banks nearby. There are also three silver rocks, seven tin rocks, and a few clay rocks.
- There are also four iron rocks in the mine south-east of Varrock (usually crowded).
- The Dwarven Mine has some iron rocks and has quick access to the bank in Falador. The downside is that this location is usually crowded. Also once the Dwarven Mine resource dungeon is unlocked (15 Dungeoneering required) there is a deposit box located inside. This is the fastest method so far for non-members. Players mining with rune pickaxe can easily earn 30,000 exp an hour, if using the deposit box in the resource dungeon (if the player uses about 2 minutes on mining a full inventory of iron). However, there are two little-known iron rocks in the Dwarven Mines north of the steps to Falador.
Dropping monsters Edit
Levels 1 to 100 Edit
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Dark warrior 8 1 Common Dwarf 14, 20 1 Common Small Lizard 30 1 (noted) Common Desert lizard 50, 70, 90 1–2 (noted) Common Rockslug 60, 70 1 Common Flesh Crawler 56, 57, 58 3–10 (noted) Common Jungle Horror 96 1 (noted) Common H.A.M. Guard 44, 52 1 Uncommon Zombie 18-32 1 Uncommon Banshee 54 1 Uncommon Skeleton 16-46 1 Uncommon White Knight 50 1 Uncommon Goblin statue 100 3 Uncommon Black Guard berserker 66 1 Uncommon Guard 26, 36, 50 1 Rare Werewolf 90, 128 1 Rare
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Ourg statue 114 1–4 Common Ogre statue 108 4 Common Ork statue 102 3 Common Lizard (Slayer) 110 1–2 (noted) Common Rock crab 102 1 Uncommon Dagannoth Rex 156 150 (noted) Rare
|Standard Metals and Ores|
(m) stands for members only.