|Release date||26 August 2008 (Update)|
|High Alch||180 coins|
|Low Alch||120 coins|
|Destroy||To get another Inferno Adze, you need to keep all fourteen beacons alight simultaneously and then talk to King Roald.|
|On death||Not reclaimable from gravestone|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Examine||Danger: risk of fire.|
The inferno adze is a combination hatchet and pickaxe that can be obtained as a reward from the All Fired Up minigame by lighting all fourteen beacons at once. Completion of the All Fired Up quest and 92 Firemaking are required to obtain the inferno adze; additionally, there are several lesser requirements, which are listed below. The adze functions as a dragon hatchet when used to cut trees, and as a rune pickaxe when used to mine ores. When using the adze to cut trees, there is a chance for the adze to instantly burn any logs received, for Woodcutting and Firemaking experience. 92 Firemaking is needed to wield the adze. Using the adze as a hatchet or pickaxe requires 61 Woodcutting and 41 Mining.
A player wielding the inferno adze
|[view] • [talk]|
The above items are required to repair various objects related to the beacons, and are only needed once. In addition to the above requirements, there are a number of recommended and optional quests, skill levels, and items that are useful for lighting the beacons. These may be found here.
The requirement of 92 Firemaking may be boosted with a spicy stew in order to light the final beacon at the Frozen Waste Plateau. However, a Firemaking boost will not allow players to wield the inferno adze. It can still be used as a hatchet or pickaxe if kept in the inventory, but the adze's special effect will not activate.
Players can only have one inferno adze at a time, and players who lose their inferno adze must re-light all fourteen beacons at once and speak to King Roald to receive another.
When the inferno adze is used as a hatchet to chop a tree, in addition to cutting with the rate of a dragon hatchet, there is a 1/3 chance that the adze's heat will instantly incinerate any logs that it cuts, leaving behind no ashes and granting full Woodcutting and Firemaking experience for cutting and burning the logs. Firemaking experience gained in this manner is affected by the flame gloves and ring of fire, but not by a penance horn. When the adze incinerates logs, a chat box message is displayed. The incineration effect will take place when cutting curly roots.
No special effect occurs when the adze is used as a pickaxe to mine ore. The adze merely mines with the rate of a rune pickaxe.
The inferno adze's incineration effect makes it a useful tool for Woodcutting and Firemaking training. Because some logs are instantly burnt, it takes longer to cut a full inventory of logs, and so players are able to stay at trees longer without having to bank, resulting in a greater amount of Woodcutting experience per hour. Firemaking experience is also gained as a bonus, with no extra effort required. The downside is that it takes more time to gather a certain amount of logs, which could be detrimental for players who are cutting logs for money, such as magic logs, or cutting logs for Fletching experience.
- If a player cuts trees with the inferno adze and the Lumberjack Woodcutting animation from Solomon's General Store, the adze's special effect will not activate. This could be a bug.
- If the inferno adze is used to cut logs for a Daily Challenge, only logs that are not incinerated will count toward the challenge.
- If both a hatchet and an inferno adze are in a player's inventory, the player will use the best hatchet available instead of the inferno adze.
- For a short time after its release, the inferno adze could be used as a pickaxe in free-to-play worlds.
- Attempting to use the adze to cut trees on Miscellania or Etceteria results in the message "I don't think I should use the Inferno Adze in here, since there is a chance I might set the logs on fire." The adze also cannot be used to mine stone slabs.
- If a player cuts two regular logs at once using a Seer's headband and the inferno adze's special effect activates, both logs will be burnt but Firemaking experience will only be granted for one.
- The inferno adze's requirement of 92 Firemaking was the highest skill level needed to wield any piece of equipment, excluding the skillcapes, before the introduction of elite achievements.
- Max, seller of the max cape, uses an inferno adze to cut down a tree from a tree patch.
- The adze will not burn any scrapey tree logs or regular logs cut during the Trouble Brewing minigame.
- With the removal of trade limits and the restoration of player killing to the Wilderness in February 2011, it was believed that the inferno adze would receive a buff to compensate for the increased risk of entering the Wilderness in order to light the beacons. However, no such buff was ever implemented.
- The inferno adze has the same woodcutting animation as cutting a sacred clay tree in Stealing Creation.
- If you acquire the inferno adze without 92 firemaking through the means of level boosters you will not be able to wield it but if it is in your inventory it will be used as a hatchet without the burning effect. This can be useful for players who do not want to their logs to get burnt, because the adze is as good as the Dragon hatchet, but costs nothing.
Sacred clay • Inferno adze