|Release date||6 January 2009 (Update)|
In Pyre Need was the first quest released in 2009. Along with this quest, the Phoenix, which is a Summoning familiar and also a pet, was released. Upon completion of this quest, players may access the Phoenix Lair, which is part of the Distractions and Diversions in RuneScape.
An ancient avian of fiery disposition is in need of your help! Returning to its roost after a long time away from home, the phoenix encountered some trouble. Now it waits, weak and dying, isolated from the world. By chance, a priest with a suspicious amount of knowledge about the phoenix has appeared near its roost, and he is searching for an adventurer with the skills and the mettle to venture forth and aid the phoenix in its hour of need.
|Start point||Speak to the Priest of Guthix outside a cave south-west of the Piscatoris Fishing Colony|
|Member requirement||Members only|
|Official length||Short to Medium|
|Requirements||Skill requirements are not boostable unless marked with a [B] for boostable.
These skills may not be boosted.
|Items required||Items from the tool belt are not listed unless they do not work or are not automatically added.
|Enemies to defeat||
Talk to the Priest of Guthix, located at a cave entrance, south-west of the Piscatoris Fishing Colony. The cave is located north-west of a fairy ring, code akq. You can also teleport to Eagle's Peak on the Lodestone Network then travel north.
The priest explains about the phoenix residing within a cave, and that it is reaching the end of its five hundred year lifespan. To ensure its survival, a ritual needs to be performed, but because the phoenix is injured, it can't perform the ritual of rebirth.
The priest says that he is too old to perform the ritual himself, but has the required ingredients. Obtain the items needed for the quest by talking to him and going through all of the chat options. The Priest of Guthix will provide whatever items you do not have, if you accept his offer. You will need secateurs, a knife and a tinderbox.
- Greater reborn mage
- Greater reborn warrior
- Greater reborn ranger
- Lesser reborn mage
- Lesser reborn warrior
- Lesser reborn ranger
Ignore the thralls. At regular intervals, the thralls say:
- Please, help the mistress.
- The mistress is in pain!
- The mistress is fading!
- Save the mistress!
- You must save the mistress!
- You must help the mistress!
The order of the caves is different for each player, although the order of the trees is the same.
There are 5 caves, and each cave contains 1 tree, located in the light green spots of each cave. The entrance to the next cave is marked in red, as a door/exit, on the minimap. If you leave and then return, the location of the trees may change. Remember that you cannot proceed into the next cave until you have harvested the twigs.
Proceed through the caves, and use the "Harvest-twigs" option on the trees. In all, you need to obtain 5 twigs:
Upon arrival at the final cave, you'll see the wounded Phoenix. In this cave, there is an incomplete pyre, and a shrine containing a book, The Phoenix, written by Brian Twitcher. Read the book if you want.
Use the "Fletch" option on the twigs to turn them into their respective weaving ribbons:
- Cinnamon weaving ribbon
- Sassafras weaving ribbon
- Ailanthus weaving ribbon
- Cedar weaving ribbon
- Mastic weaving ribbon
Use the weaving ribbons with the pyre or use the "Craft" option on the pyre. A cut-scene will show the phoenix moving onto the pyre.
Click "Light" on the pyre. If the tinderbox is used on the phoenix, she politely reminds you to light the pyre instead (light the pyre, not me!). A cut-scene will show the phoenix burning, then turning into ash. The phoenix is then reborn.
Talk to the reborn phoenix, and she will explain everything and thank you. She will give you 5 phoenix quills and the ability to challenge her in the future. Leave the cave, and talk to the priest to finish the quest.
Congratulations! Quest complete.
- 1 quest point
- 14,400 experience
- 12,500 experience
- 11,556 experience
- 5 phoenix quills worth 28,455
- Access to the Phoenix Lair once per day; which is now a part of Distractions and Diversions.
- The chance to receive a Phoenix eggling while doing the Phoenix Lair. Raising the pet requires 72 Summoning, whereas players without 72 Summoning will instead receive a phoenix egg that they can hatch when they get the proper level.
- 2 Treasure Hunter keys and 2 Hearts of Ice
- Music unlocked
- Arise from the Ash ( 10) - Defeat the phoenix once, after the 'In Pyre Need' quest.
- On the day of release, the spoilers said: The rewards are hidden behind a thick layer of ash. Perhaps a timely gust of wind will reveal them tomorrow.
- When first talking to the priest, your character says: Hold your unicorns! This is a joke of the phrase "hold your horses" since there are no horses in RuneScape.
- The quest name "In Pyre Need" is based on the phrase "In dire need".
- In the In Pyre Need RuneScape banner, there's a character who seems to be wearing Armadyl armour and wielding a Zamorakian spear.
- After completing this quest, your Adventurer's Log will read, "I fulfilled the dreams of an old priest of Guthix by helping a wounded phoenix to be reborn."
In Pyre Need