|Release date||12 April 2010 (Update)|
|Combat level||Varies (5, 14, 23, 41, 56, 71, 95, 124, 154, 188, 220, 258, 297, 340, 385, 429)|
|XP per kill||Unknown edit|
|Examine text||Summoner of stalagmites.|
For the music track, see Icy Bones (music track).
Icy Bones is a Dungeoneering boss. His special abilities include summoning stalagmites and freezing enemies. He is generally regarded as one of the easiest bosses to defeat in Dungeoneering if his combat level is low. At higher levels he can easily hit over 500 damage with his multi-target melee attack. It is not difficult to solo him with Protect from Melee, however damage is not fully prevented; albeit, one should still pray melee since his melee attacks hit hard and often, even through good melee armour. It is more difficult to range or mage Icy Bones because you are more vulnerable to his stalagmite attack. (After a hidden update Icy bones can freeze players fighting adjacent to it, except using melee.) Players cannot move into squares of Icy Bones, making it nearly impossible to retrieve arrows shot at the boss. Although standing next to it can prevent stalagmite attacks, both melee and ranged attacks of Icy bones would be powerful, rendering protection prayer no longer useful.
Icy Bones' special attack is making stalagmites appear out of the ground. They rise up then go down and repeat. Players can predict this attack when Icy Bones has a stalagmite wall appear around his feet. This attack shouldn't bother people using melee, as they will stay next to Icy and will not get hurt. Be aware that some of Icy Bones' melee attacks can hit everyone in a one tile range. Remember you can run out of the stalagmites once they come up to prevent damage. Sometimes, these stalagmites will completely surround Icy Bones, so you may need other methods of attack such as Range or Mage. In most cases, you may not.
The secondary attack is to freeze players at a distance from him. Once frozen, players will be rendered unable to move for a few seconds, though this does not prevent players standing next to him from attacking. Icy Bones moves sometimes and may use range or magic before it reaches you. Getting frozen should not be underestimated, if the player clicked too quickly he/she might run into many stalagmites and be dealt fatal damage.
The attack in which Icy Bones draws a spikey circle around it, is a normal melee attack which targets all players adjacent to it. The damage cannot be fully blocked even with Protect from melee.
Protection prayers do NOT offer complete protection against his attacks, and the message, "Your prayer only offers partial protection against the attack" will appear in the chatbox. Only part of the damage will be blocked, similar to PvP combat.
The best way to solo Icy Bones is quite simple and applies regardless of level. Take the best weapon you receive (or can make) which is preferably Tier 5 or higher with a high stab bonus. Immediately run up to Icy Bones when you enter and attack. Eat only when you lose about 100 more than the life points that put you into the yellow, and if you are running low on food, turn on Protect from Melee. If you use a high magic defence armour, his magic attacks will rarely hit higher than 60. You also reduce his melee damage from about 20-150 which means you do not need to eat as much. A recommended setup for praying melee would be 50+ prayer, tier 4-5+ robe bottoms and hood, tier 5+ body, and a tier 5+ weapon/shield either a warhammer and shield, battle axe and shield or 2-handed sword. Mage is not the best, as Icy Bones seems highly resistant to magic, but if you are a magic-based player bring 100+ casts of a high damage spell with an armour setup similar to the latter. Stand back and pray range and as long as you avoid the icicles, his magic attack will be severely reduced. On another note, make sure Icy Bones is facing away from you. If he isn't, entering puts a very high chance that he will use his magic attack to freeze you in place and then move up just enough to use range, melee AND mage against you. Be sure to avoid this.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Protoleather vambraces 1 Varies Not sold Subleather vambraces 1 Varies Not sold Paraleather vambraces 1 Varies Not sold Archleather vambraces 1 Varies Not sold Dromoleather vambraces 1 Varies Not sold Spinoleather vambraces 1 Varies Not sold Gallileather vambraces 1 Varies Not sold Stegoleather vambraces 1 Varies Not sold Megaleather vambraces 1 Varies Not sold Tyrannoleather vambraces 1 Varies Not sold Sagittarian vambraces 1 Varies Not sold Dungeoneering journals 1 Common Not sold
- Even though he is an ice monster, he is not weak against fire magic unlike Ice giants.
- Icy Bones is an elite form of an ice troll.
- Since Icy Bones is a troll, it can be assumed that the first things he tried to eat were frozen bones. This seems to be confirmed by the Troll scrawlings that he drops.
- It is occasionally impossible for familiars to damage Icy Bones, and you will get the message that they cannot attack an enemy they can't see. This is probably because of the blocking stalagmites that are created, although the error is still present when there are no stalagmites active.
- The Smuggler, when asked about Icy Bones, says, "Icy Bones is a slow but strong ice troll. He will use ranged attacks unless he catches you, in which case he will pummel you with his club.", even though Icy Bones does not wield a club.
- On a 5:5 floor, the Icy Bones is the second highest level boss that can be faced in Free-to-play, at Combat level 220. It precedes Gluttonous Behemoth at level 238, and preceded by Hobgoblin Geomancer at level 206.
- Icy Bones occupies 2x2 square spaces, and cannot be walked or run through.
- He can lift a Gatestone or any other item into the air using his icicle attack, during this time the Gatestone cannot be teleported to and the item cannot be picked up.
- According to one of the Dungeoneering Journals (Troll Scrawlings-Misc #2), he ate icy bones (after which he decided to name himself after them), an ice spider, rocks, an adventurer, and fur.
|Abandoned 1 & 2|