For the music track, see Hobgoblin Geomancer (music track).
|Release date||April 12 2010 (Update)|
|Combat level||40, 54, 68, 82, 96, 110|
|XP per kill||456 (and 150.5 experience)|
|Examine text||An ugly, smelly creature with a makeshift staff.|
The Hobgoblin Geomancer, also known as Gra'Magor, is a boss monster encountered in the Dungeoneering skill. He appears as a boss when the player has achieved level 23 Dungeoneering, on floors 12 through 17, and later on floors 30 through 35.
The Hobgoblin Geomancer has various kinds of attacks and abilities. He uses a single-targeted melee attack, an Earth Blast spell that can be either single or multi-targeted, Entangle which can stop movement of player for 12 seconds, curse spells that weaken the player's stats (maximum 5% of all combat stats), and prayer-draining spell temporarily stop the player from praying (lasts 15 seconds). It was believed that he will only drain your prayer and heal himself if you use any overhead prayer, but he will drain your prayer and heal himself substantially if you have any prayer activated. The prayer draining spell drains all prayer points at once, but it can miss. The Hobgoblin Geomancer may use this spell even when you have zero prayer points, but it will not heal him as long as none of your teammates have any prayers active. The hobgoblin teleports himself around the room when his lifepoints reach a certain value. The Hobgoblin Geomancer will teleport away from the player if he is adjacent with player, and vice versa. However, if he disables the prayer of more than 1 player at the same time, he will only heal himself for 1 player. Warning: It is never a good idea to activate any prayers against higher levelled versions of this boss, as his defence is too high to counter its healing rate if prayers are activated.
If the player has a prayer active when he uses his prayer-disabling attack, he will heal himself slightly and will drain the player's Prayer points slightly as well. The only way to prevent this is to fight him without prayer. He has no weakness, but since he teleports around the room occasionally it is easier to range or mage him. It is most effective to make and wear range armour to fight him. Additionally, he will only teleport far away from the player if the player attacks it with melee. He will teleport right next to the player and melee him/her if the player uses ranged or magic. Keeping all this in mind an effective method of fighting is to utilise both range and melee while wearing the best Range Armour you can make, ranging when he teleports far from the player and switching to melee when he gets close. Utilising this method removes the need for prayer and minimise the amount of food needed. Another method to fight is to purely range the boss and try to run away when the Geomancer teleports near the player, such that he will be forced to use magic. This way, ranged armour will provide the best attack and defence bonus. After the EOC, using melee only was made easier with the Freedom ability that allows a player to break free of the binding ability and run to continue attacking with no need for range attacks.
Running before he teleports does not always work but running after would.Ideally, the best way to kill this boss is to use a gatestone (not group). Melee the boss and wait until you get stunned. Then either teleport to your gatestone or use freedom. This will stop the stun and allow you to continue attacking.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Protoleather boots 1 Varies Not sold Subleather boots 1 Varies Not sold Paraleather boots 1 Varies Not sold Archleather boots 1 Varies Not sold Dromoleather boots 1 Varies Not sold Spinoleather boots 1 Varies Not sold Gallileather boots 1 Varies Not sold Stegoleather boots 1 Varies Not sold Megaleather boots 1 Varies Not sold Tyrannoleather boots 1 Varies Not sold Sagittarian boots 1 Varies Not sold Dungeoneering journals Various parts Common Not sold
- Upon release this boss was incorrectly listed as requiring level 24 dungeoneering. This was fixed in a later patch to read as level 23.
- When a player reaches level 23 Dungeoneering, the skill guide says 'You can now fight the Geomage Shaman.'
- Although graphics and animations for the elemental combat spells were updated (on June 24, 2010), this boss still used the old earth blast animation. This has since been fixed.
- Whilst the Geomancer utilizes magic and melee attacks, it drops range armour.
- Geomancy (Literally "earth divination") is a method of Divination that interprets markings on the ground or the patterns formed by tossed handfuls of Soil, Rocks, or Sand.
- On a 5:5 floor, the Hobgoblin Geomancer is the third highest level boss that can be faced in Free-to-play, at Combat level 206. It is preceded by Icy Bones at level 220, and followed by Har'Lakk the Riftsplitter at level 205.
- He will not teleport if he fails to immobilize the player.
- Recently, the boss music of this boss has been extended in length.
- According to the scrawlings which he drops, he is a Bandosian like other hobgoblins. He refers to his dungeon as his "house"; since he lives on the abandoned floors, it's possible he moved in after Bilrach's forces left.
- He appears in the Master Dungeoneering emote: the player kills him with ranged, referring to the combat triangle.
- He seems to have an altar, which cannot be examined. Coincidentally, it looks somewhat similar with miniature Chinese altars that, fittingly, are dedicated to the spirits in the earth.
- In the Brazilian version of the game, Hobgoblin Geomancer is called "Duende Geomante" (Goblin Geomancer).
- In the July 5th chapter of RuneScape Lore, it is mentioned that the Hobgoblin Geomancer is indeed the same as the one in the story (that he was once a slave digger).
- According to the official Runescape lore Daemonheim Asunder, Hobgoblin Geomancer's name is Gra'magor. This was decided in a contest poll held in June 2011, in which players could decide his name.
- In the Fremennik Saga Thok Your Block Off, the Geomancer's name is Derek, even though Gra'magor is the name as decided by the poll.
|Abandoned 1 & 2|