This article is about the hobgoblin outside Daemonheim. For the hobgoblin in Daemonheim, see Hobgoblin (Daemonheim).
|Release date||6 April 2001 (Update)|
|Combat level||44, 50|
|XP per kill||67, 74|
|Slayer XP||29, 49|
|Assigned by||Mazchna or Achtryn|
Hobgoblins (Orkanius Hobbus) are strong, agile goblin-like creatures, but are not as intelligent as their goblin counterparts. They can be aggressive to lower-level players, especially when several are in the area. Generally only Level 42 hobgoblins wield spears, although there are exceptions. Players may find that they are good monsters to train on, mainly because they give decent free-to-play drops for a low-level creature. They also reside in the God Wars Dungeon, and when killed there they will add to the killcount for Bandos. Hobgoblins may also be purchased at level 78 Construction to guard a players dungeon (see Hobgoblin (POH)).
Characteristics and historyEdit
Hobgoblins are said to be a crossbreed between goblins and orks and were apparently bred by Bandos to fight as soldiers in the God Wars. While not as tenacious as goblins or as strong as orks, hobgoblins have strength that exceeds that of a goblin significantly and are agile, mobile units in battle unlike lumbering orks and ogres, making them a good all-round fighter. They also possibly threw their spears/javelins as ranged support for Bandos's armies. After the God Wars, when Bandos left Gielinor, they were left leaderless and now mainly live in desolate areas or caves, being uncivilised and unorganised. Hobgoblins live mainly on a diet of limpwurt roots, which explains why they drop many limpwurt roots. Hobgoblins are also presumably flesh-eating carnivores, given their likeness to goblins. They are also known for dropping gold charms often. Players that can defend themselves against these monsters adequately may find that the limpwurt roots can be a sufficient source of money if sold. When sold, limpwurt roots are worth 1,128 coins. Descendants of the hobgoblins who have survived the God Wars can be found in the Wilderness among other locations, such as:
- Daemonheim while Dungeoneering
- Hobgoblin Peninsula west of Crafting Guild
- Edgeville Dungeon (Level 42 and 28)
- God Wars Dungeon (Level 47)
- The Hollows (Beware! There are also Poison spiders)
- Near the Karamja Hunter area (South of Tai Bwo Wannai.)
- North of the Outpost
- North of Rellekka (Includes hobgoblins which can be hit with long-ranged attacks on islands: Ranged, Magic)
- Player owned houses
- Gnome Village Dungeon
- Waterbirth Island
- Wilderness (Hobgoblin Mine at level 45-50 wilderness.) (Level 40 hobgoblins only.)
- Witchaven Dungeon
- Asgarnian Ice Dungeon
Hobgoblins are one of the races who have a champion in the Champions' Challenge activity. To fight the Hobgoblin Champion, the player must kill hobgoblins until one drops a Champion's scroll, an exceptionally rare drop.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Bones 1 Always 83
Charms (members only)Edit
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 17,194 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Bronze spear (m) 1 Common 161 Iron javelin (m) 5 Common 50 Steel dagger 1 Common 23 Iron sword 1 Common 17 Iron longsword 1 Uncommon 39 Iron spear (m) 1 Uncommon 543 Steel spear (m) 1 Uncommon 609 Steel longsword 1 Uncommon 191
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Water rune 2 Uncommon 26 Body rune 6 Uncommon 24 Fire rune 7 Uncommon 70 Cosmic rune 2 Uncommon 302 Chaos rune 3 Uncommon 123 Nature rune 4 Uncommon 444 Law rune 2 Uncommon 358
Seeds (members only)Edit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Potato seed 4–8 Common 8–16 Onion seed 4 Common 8 Cabbage seed 4 Common 12 Sweetcorn seed 3 Common 3 Strawberry seed 1–2 Common 359–718 Harralander seed 1 Common 9 Tarromin seed 1 Common 4 Tomato seed 3 Uncommon 3 Watermelon seed 1–2 Uncommon 2,010–4,020 Jute seed 1 Uncommon 3 Wildblood seed 1 Uncommon 36 Jangerberry seed 1 Uncommon 3 Whiteberry seed 1–2 Uncommon 28–56 Poison ivy seed 1 Uncommon 54 Bittercap mushroom spore 1 Uncommon 10 Cactus seed 1 Uncommon 26 Belladonna seed 1 Uncommon 33 Limpwurt seed 1 Uncommon 971 Toadflax seed 1 Uncommon 702 Spirit weed seed 1 Uncommon 359 Marrentill seed 1 Uncommon 12 Irit seed 1 Uncommon 74 Kwuarm seed 1 Uncommon 363 Cadantine seed 1 Rare 2,354 Dwarf weed seed 1 Rare 38,269 Ranarr seed 1 Rare 1,019
Herbs (members only)Edit
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy guam 1 Common 539 Grimy marrentill 1 Common 44 Grimy tarromin 1 Common 249 Grimy harralander 1 Common 652 Grimy avantoe 1 Uncommon 4,171 Grimy irit 1 Uncommon 1,743 Grimy ranarr 1 Rare 2,160 Grimy kwuarm 1 Rare 2,471 Grimy cadantine 1 Rare 2,507 Grimy lantadyme 1 Rare 7,733 Grimy dwarf weed 1 Rare 8,019
Rare drop table dropsEdit
|Show/hide rare drop table|
- In mythology, hobgoblins are intelligent and helpful versions of goblins. In the game, it is quite the contrary.
- On 23 September 2009, hobgoblins and their revenant counterparts received a graphical makeover.
- Hobgoblins bear a very close resemblance and may be a reference to Moblins from The Legend of Zelda, particularly the ones from Ocarina of Time. They also look very similar to Ganon from the non-canon television series, except that he wore a robe in the series, whereas hobgoblins in RuneScape wear bulky armour.
- In Armies of Gielinor, before summoning a hobgoblin, this text will appear: "The hobgoblin occupies the rung on the evolutionary ladder between goblin and ork, and so displays the best and worst traits of both races."