|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Combat level||13, 28|
|XP per kill||Unknown edit|
|Assigned by||Mazchna or Achtryn, Vannaka|
|Always drops||Big bones|
|Examine text||A very large foe.|
A hill giant is a type of giant found in several locations around RuneScape, most highly concentrated in the far southern end of the Edgeville Dungeon and in the resource dungeon therein. These dungeons may be accessed through the entrance located in the house north-east of Gunnarsgrunn and west of the Cooking Guild if the player has a Brass Key. The Edgeville Dungeon area is usually very crowded in free-to-play worlds, as players like to gather Big bones and either bury them for Prayer experience or sell them at the Grand Exchange or to other players. Members worlds usually are much less crowded due to the better money making options for members. There are two hill giants present in level 17-18 Wilderness; however, very few people go there because of the dangerous player killers in the area and its far distance from any bank. (The closest bank for most hill giants in the Wilderness is at Daemonheim.) They are aggressive to players below combat lvl 57.
Another tip is that you can't let their weapons and their height imtimidate you. Every weapon they have will hit the same. (Example: Hammer, Cleaver, Club are the same.)
- Deep Wilderness Dungeon (m)
- Edgeville Dungeon (28)
- South-west of Tree Gnome Stronghold (6) (m)
- Lava Maze, Level 43 Wilderness
- North of the Observatory, just south of Ourania Cave (6) (m)
- Taverley Dungeon (5), past the Magic axes and Poison Scorpions (m)
- Tree Gnome Village (2) (m)
- Wilderness Level 17 and 18 (2), southeast of Bone Yard, near the Black salamanderHunter area
- Edgeville Dungeon resource dungeon (28), level 20 Dungeoneering required
Hill giants are one of the 'races' who have a lesser champion in the Champions' Challenge Distraction & Diversion. To fight the Giant Champion, the player must kill hill giants until one drops a Champion's scroll, a very rare drop. The Distraction & Diversion just uses the term 'giant', but the only type of giant that drops the scroll is the hill giant. This is only for members.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Big bones 1 Always 449
Weapons and armour
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Iron arrow 3 Common 24 Iron dagger 1 Common 16 Iron full helm 1 Common 31 Steel arrow 10–15 Uncommon 130–195 Iron kiteshield 1 Uncommon 39 Steel longsword 1 Uncommon 183 Iron 2h sword 1 Rare 53 Mithril arrow Rare 21 Steel dagger 1 Rare 32 Steel platebody 1 Very rare 1,193 Adamant arrow 1–5 Very rare 52–260
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Water rune 7 Common 77 Fire rune 15 Uncommon 180 Cosmic rune 2 Uncommon 282 Law rune 2–3 Uncommon 380–570 Nature rune 6 Uncommon 696 Mind rune 3 Uncommon 12 Death rune 2 Rare 334 Chaos rune 2 Rare 82
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 70,135 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy guam 1 Common 332 Grimy marrentill 1 Common 56 Grimy tarromin 1 Common 157 Grimy ranarr 1 Rare 2,187 Grimy harralander 1 Rare 463 Grimy irit 1 Rare 1,721 Grimy avantoe 1 Rare 3,940 Grimy kwuarm 1 Rare 2,148 Grimy dwarf weed 1 Rare 9,330 Grimy cadantine 1 Very rare 2,015 Grimy lantadyme 1 Very rare 7,886
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Tomato seed 1–3 Common 2–6 Potato seed 1–4 Common 2–8 Onion seed 4, 8 Common 12–24 Tomato seed 3 Common 6 Strawberry seed 2 Common 868 Cabbage seed 4 Common 16 Limpwurt seed 1 Rare 591 Watermelon seed 1–4 Rare 1,953–7,812 Sweetcorn seed 3 Rare 12
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 8, 15, 38, 52, 88, 310, 350–493 Common Not sold Limpwurt root 1 Common 1,022 Beer 1 Uncommon 56 Court summons (m) 1 Uncommon Not sold Body talisman 1 Uncommon 191 Long bone (m) 1 Rare Not sold Shoulder bone (m) 1 Rare Not sold Spin Ticket 1 Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy (m) 1 Rare Not sold Champion scroll (giant) (m) 1 Very rare Not sold Curved bone (m) 1 Very rare Not sold
Rare drop table drops
- This monster drops items from the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth improves the chances if equipped but is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250; 381; 450; 3,000; 9,000; 12,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,082 Uncut emerald 1 Common 1,903 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,112 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 7,034 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 11,742 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 19,052 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 12,885 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,585 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,976 Rune javelin 5 Rare 1,215 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,260 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,933 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,988 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,917 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 848,800 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,727 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 32,404 Shield left half 1 Very rare 65,284 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,501 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 19,800 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,305,000 Rune arrow 150–200; 500 Rare 29,850–199 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,680,000 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 1,587,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 1,723,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 92,454 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 5,311 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 19,025–26,635 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 47,950–67,130 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 177 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 193 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 34,000–1,020,000 Nature rune 47–77 Rare 5,452–8,932 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,480 Law rune 45 Rare 8,550 Death rune 50; 121 Rare 167 Blood rune 50 Rare 13,900 Raw swordfish 125 – 250; 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 36,000–288 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 257,000–514,000 Big bones 150 – 500 (noted) Uncommon 67,350–224,500 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 38,250–1,912,500 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 214,650–1,144,800 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 11,100 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,056,000 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 2,876,000–20,132,000 Rune bar 1,50,150 (noted) Rare 13,069–1,960,350 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 75,900 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 88,175–881,750 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 106,230–424,920 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 94,140–941,400 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 64,750 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 5,859 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 60,155–3,007,750 Magic seed 1–6 Rare 164,810–988,860 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,058,660 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 2,127 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 50,268–1,558,308 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,000 Yew logs 100–20,000 (noted) Rare 53,600–10,720,000
For F2P players, hill giants can be a great way to make money, as they always drop Big bones, which bring in 449 coins each at the GE. They also frequently drop Limpwurt roots. The close proximity to the Grand Exchange coupled with their low combat level makes them a great way to earn coins and gain combat experience. The major and most noticeable drawback to money making with hill giants, however is that the Edgeville Dungeon is usually very crowded.
In order to save weight whilst training on these giants, only equip dragonhide armour; if you are at least level 65, you will not get hit frequently. This will reduce your weight, thereby allowing you to run further. Only equip a rune scimitar or rune 2h. This will save one inventory spot for big bones or limpwurt roots for strength potion brewing. You no longer have to leave a spot for coins, due to the money pouch update; thus, at least 20 spots should be reserved for big bones and the rest could be roots as they are very popular and are worth more than big bones. It is also a good idea to bring a bonecrusher if you want to gain prayer experience without spending the time to pick up your bone drops.
- They were once just called 'Giants', but this was later changed by Jagex to avoid confusion between other giants.
- They are one of three kinds of giants available for the free players, the other two being Moss giants and Ice giants.
- If a player brings along shortbows and arrows, they can use the ranged weapon to first attack a hill giant before anybody else does and then switch back to a Melee weapon.
- Some hill giants appear to be wielding cleavers, weapons from the Recipe for Disaster quest.
- The hill giant is one of the monsters known for dropping court summons for the Court Cases Distraction & Diversion.
- The two bald hill giants in Edgeville Dungeon are slightly redder in color.
- A variation of the hill giant seems to be wearing one of Torag's hammers; however, this may just be an ordinary warhammer.
- Inside the Edgeville Resource Dungeon, hill giants have been known not to attack a player that is resting.
- There are 5 safe spots which can be used for killing hill giants in the Edgeville Dungeon, thus it is a popular place for players to train Ranged.
- Despite being called "Hill giants", the majority of the giants are found in dungeons. The reason for the naming was revealed in a Postbag from the Hedge; they are called "Hill Giants" because their muscles on their arms resemble hills.