|Release date||12 April 2010 (Update)|
|High Alch||6,570 coins|
|Low Alch||4,380 coins|
|Smuggler price||3,285 coins|
|Destroy|| Unbound: Drop |
Bound: The only way to unbind an item is to destroy it.
|Store price||Not sold|
|Exchange price||Not sold|
|Examine||It is stronger against targets with magical powers.|
Though soulgazers officially require level 99 Slayer to damage, they can be killed by a player with any Slayer level using the Retribution prayer, Wrath curse, or the special effect of the blood necklace. 99 Slayer is also required for recoil damage (such as Deflect Curses and Vengeance) to damage a soulgazer. A survivalist's potion can be used to temporarily raise your Slayer level. With a strong survivalist's potion, the soulgazer can be killed with 88 Slayer.
Despite the examine information saying that the bow is stronger against targets who use magic, it does not provide any additional damage against them, although it did prior to the Evolution of Combat.
A player wielding a hexhunter bow
|[view] • [talk]|
Comparison between bowsEdit
|Bow||Hexhunter bow||Sagittarian shortbow||Sagittarian longbow|
| Base Damage|
(with sagittarian arrows)
| 1209 / 4 ticks|
= 302.2 per tick
| 1818 / 5 ticks|
= 363.6 per tick
| 1474 / 6 ticks|
= 245.7 per tick
|Requirements|| 98 Ranged|
| 99 Ranged|
| 99 Ranged|
- ^ 99 Slayer is only required to deal damage to soulgazers, however can be equipped and used at any slayer level.
The sagittarian longbow and the hexhunter bow have similar stats. While the sagittarian longbow has a slightly higher armour rating and life points boost, the hexhunter bow does more damage over time.
In comparison with the hexhunter bow, the sagittarian shortbow has more base damage. At 99 Ranged, the shortbow has 1917 damage compared to the hexhunter bow's 1308. However, the hexhunter bow takes 0.6 seconds less per shot than the sagittarian shortbow, gives a defence and life points boost, and also gives access to shield abilities. Anyone choosing between the sagittarian shortbow and the hexhunter bow would have to weigh the benefits of the extra damage of the shortbow to the increased speed and armour/life points boost of the hexhunter bow along with the shield abilities the bow unlocks. The rarity of the hexhunter bow can also play into the decision. While the sagittarian shortbow is a random drop from the Skeletal Trio on all Occult floors, the hexhunter bow is a rare drop from soulgazers, making it harder to obtain.
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Soulgazer 184 1 Rare
Before the Evolution of Combat, the hexhunter bow had a passive bonus: its ranged damage increased as the opponent's Magic level increased. This made it one of the most desirable items in Daemonheim, as it could hit very highly and accurately on forgotten mages, necromancers, reborn mages, demons, and dragons. Its damage per second easily exceeded the damage per second of the most damaging melee weapons, and it was a far more damaging weapon than any other bow in Daemonheim. The bow was also very good against most bosses (even those that would not seem to have high Magic levels, like Dreadnaut and Gravecreeper, though this was most effective when employing the use of a Bloodrager's Sundering Strike special attack to lower the boss's Defence).
- The hexhunter bow is one of only two bows in the game with a speed of 'Fastest', with the other being the seercull.
- The name of the hexhunter bow is derived from the word 'hex', which means an evil spell or curse, the equivalent of the German word 'hexe', to practise sorcery. Hex is also pronounced in the same way as the Dutch 'heks', which means witch.
- The hexhunter bow's former passive effect was removed with the Evolution of Combat, although a Jagex moderator has said that it may possibly be reimplemented[ ]. This would rectify the balance between the usability of the bow and the rarity of it being found.
- Before the release of The World Wakes on 4 March 2013, the bow had a damage bonus similar to that of the sagittarian longbow. Due to the hexhunter bow's faster speed, this not only made it superior to the longbow in every aspect aside from accuracy, but also made it rival (and potentially even surpass) the Sagittarian shortbow due to the hexhunter bow's ability to deal similar damage while still retaining armour, lifepoint, and shield bonuses. The damage bonus was removed with the update for balancing purposes.
- The hexhunter bow was given a damage buff on 17 April 2013 to make it on par with tier 11 Dungeoneering bows, but it will still deal less damage per second than the sagittarian shortbow.
- After the EoC, many player have complained that the hexhunter bow, despite its rarity, is weaker than the sagittarian shortbow. Players have argued that although the hexhunter bow only requires 98 Ranged, as opposed to the sagittarian bows' 99 Ranged requirement, the hexhunter bow indirectly requires 99 Slayer to kill the soulgazer, so it should be stronger. Players have also argued that the hexhunter bow can take months to get, while the sagittarian bows are relatively easy to obtain in comparison.