The Guthixian butterfly is a creature released during the Tribute to Guthix event. The butterflies were removed from the game with the conclusion of the event on April 2, 2013. They made a return on 14 April 2014 for the Brassica Prime and Marimbo event. When caught, P2P players were awarded experience in their lowest skill (even if the P2P player was logged onto an F2P world) and the caught butterfly disappeared in a puff of coloured smoke. Catching five butterflies unlocked one of fifteen Guthixian memories. Each butterfly restored 15% of either your life points, prayer points or your summoning level, whichever was depleted most. If all three stats were at or above their maximum, one was randomly selected and temporarily boosted up to 5% above its maximum. Only twenty butterflies could be caught for rewards each day, and subsequent butterflies gave no experience points or stat boosts. Butterflies caught after the daily limit also did not count towards unlocking Guthixian memories, limiting the daily amount to four. Players could continue to catch the butterflies for fun, but simply received the message "You manage to catch the butterfly." It is also possible to receive a Guthixian butterfly from picking a Butterfly flower plant.
For the first 20 butterflies caught per day, experience is gained in the lowest experience skill, like the Tears of Guthix distraction and diversion. A player with all skills at level 99 will gain Dungeoneering experience if their Dungeoneering level is below 120, otherwise they they gain experience in the lowest experience skill.
The experience gained per butterfly is according to the following formula:
Where is the level of their lowest skill. The possible amount of experience gained at each level is tabulated below.
The butterflies can be found in various places across the world. They are located on the minimap and appear as yellow dots.
- Al Kharid
- Ancient Cavern - Near the entrance.
- Brimhaven - Near Hajedy, the cart transporter.
- Burthorpe - Near the bank chest.
- East of Cairn Isle Near the bridge.
- Catherby - Next to the bank.
- Daemonheim - Around the castle
- The Dig Site - Southern end and toward the east near the shore.
- Draynor Village
- Outside Draynor Manor
- Edgeville - Near the bank.
- Gnome Stronghold - Around the tree shortcut in northwest area (inside and outside stronghold).
- Goblin Village
- Herblore Habitat
- Karamja - Top of the volcano.
- Legends Guild - Entrance.
- Piscatoris Hunting Area.
- Port Sarim
- Outside the Grotworm cave entrance.
- Around the Rat Pits
- Port Phasmatys - Around the Ectofuntus.
- Outside of the Ranging Guild.
- Seers' Village - In the village and the surrounding area.
- Lower-level wilderness areas
- Landmarks such as the Graveyard of Shadows
- Wizards' Tower - South of Draynor Village.
- Yanille - South-west of lodestone in the Ogre area.
When caught, these butterflies give experience on the lowest skill. The amount of experience increases with the skill level. If you have at least 99 in all skills but don't have level 120 Dungeoneering, you'll get experience for Dungeoneering.
Catching butterflies also boosts Summoning, Prayer, and Life points above the nominal maximum. The boosted skill is shown in the glow after the butterfly is caught. Free players may see a Summoning glow but their summoning level cannot be restored to over 5, in the case of a past member.
The Summoning boost does not allow you to infuse pouches higher than your normal level, but it DOES allow you to do Ancient Effigies above your normal level.
General message Edit
- You manage to catch the butterfly (X/20 of your daily limit for XP and memories)
Skill based messages Edit
Skill based messages are the same as the ones when doing Tears of Guthix. Depending on the image that is shown when caught, the butterflies boost your lifepoints, prayer points or summoning points.
|Attack||You feel a brief surge of aggression.|
|Strength||Your muscles bulge.|
|Defence||You feel more able to defend yourself.|
|Ranged||Your aim improves.|
|Prayer||You feel closer to the gods.|
|Magic||You feel the power of the runes surging through you.|
|Constitution||You feel very healthy.|
|Agility||You feel very nimble.|
|Herblore||You gain a deep understanding of all kinds of strange plants.|
|Thieving||You feel your respect for others' property slipping away.|
|Crafting||Your fingers feel nimble and suited to do work.|
|Fletching||You gain a deep understanding of wooden sticks.|
|Mining||You gain a deep understanding of the stones of the earth.|
|Smithing||You gain a deep understanding of all types of metal.|
|Fishing||You gain knowledge about various sea creatures.|
|Cooking||You gain knowledge about various cuisines.|
|Firemaking||You have a brief urge to set light to something.|
|Woodcutting||You gain a deep understanding of the trees in the wood.|
|Runecrafting||You gain a deep understanding of runes.|
|Slayer||You gain a deep understanding of many strange creatures.|
|Farming||You gain a deep understanding of the cycles of nature.|
|Construction||You feel homesick.|
|Hunter||You briefly experience the joy of the hunt.|
|Summoning||You feel at one with nature.|
|Dungeoneering||You feel the mysteries of Daemonheim unravel.|
|Divination||You briefly feel the power of the anima mundi pass over you.|
- The examine text of the Guthixian butterflies is: "A manifestation of a memory of Guthix."
- The butterflies have a chance to noclip through some walls.
- In rare cases, if two Guthixian butterflies are both on the same square, catching one of them will result in both being caught for full XP and boosts (if applicable), as if each was caught separately.