The Guardians of Guthix are a group of creatures chosen by Guthix himself to guard the most sacred places of the Guthixian religion at the end of the Third Age. According to Mod Osborne, there were originally as many Guardians as standing stones in a druids' circle, totalling eight. Some of the Guardians are blessed with great power and/or wisdom on Gielinor, greater even than certain low-tier gods.
The Balance Elemental was long considered to be a Guardian of Guthix, as Juna refers to it as such, but was confirmed not to be one due to a fundamental difference; the elemental was created by Guthix rather than chosen from his followers.
In the Runezone interview with Mod Osborne, he revealed that one of the other Guardians of Guthix has a unique purpose.
- Fiara - Guardian of the Fist of Guthix. Fiara is the giant earwig guardian of the Fist of Guthix, a site of powerful magicks that where Saradomin kept the Stone of Jas during the God Wars. Its leaking of energy has made the location a site in need of protection.
- Juna - Guardian of the Tears of Guthix. Juna is the guardian of the Tears of Guthix cave, an underground spring where Guthix wept his tears for those lost in the God Wars.
- Valluta - Guardian of the Plane. Valluta is the giant tortoise tasked to stop any threat from other worlds that would attack Gielinor, notably the void pests. Valluta is immensely powerful, and could kill a Pest Queen in one blow, unless otherwise weakened.
- Harold Death Esquire - Guardian of Death. Harold Death Esq. is tasked to regulate life in order to reach balance. He controls the process of respawning and has the ability to expand or shorten the lifespan of mortals in order to prevent or provide death, provided that individual's time has come. Per his role as a Guardian, he cannot randomly commit murders if their time hasn't come; likewise, he cannot save a life if their time has come, as much as he or they may wish it, or revive the dead.
- Cres - Guardian of Guthix's Lair. Cres is an ancient Guardian, situated in the home of Guthix. He is extremely weak compared to other guardians, but is immensely intelligent, having many powerful bot-like minions which he uses to defend Guthix.
- The player - World Guardian. The player is appointed Guardian during the events of The World Wakes, and is told by Guthix himself that they now hold immense power, enough to defend Gielinor against the gods themselves.
Guardians of Guthix