|Release date||15 January 2008 (Update)|
Yes in Daemonheim
|Tradeable||Only while Dungeoneering|
|High alch||0 coins|
|Low alch||0 coins|
|Store price|| 1 coin|
|Exchange price||Not sold|
|Examine||A charm used to summon familiars.|
Gold charms are the lowest level charm of the four major types of charms used in the Summoning skill. Common ways to obtain gold charms are as a drop from various monsters, hunting charm sprites, and thieving Dorgesh-Kaan Rich Chests. A less used but effective way of obtaining Gold Charms is to hunt Gelatinous Abombinations, located in the Taverley Slayer Dungeon southeast of the Slayer master, Turael (or Spria). It is possible to receive multiple charms in one drop from higher levelled opponents. Gold charms may also be purchased by using Zeal points obtained from the Soul Wars minigame (14 per 4 zeal) or by visiting the summoning shop in Burthorpe for one free sample gold charm. Players will receive 275 gold charms upon completion of the Wolf Whistle quest that may be used to start training the skill. As gold charms give between 4.8 to 93.2 experience each depending on the pouch made, they are not as popular with higher levelled summoners as other charms due to their lower experience rates. As with the other three major charm types, gold charms may be used in Dungeoneering to summon followers. Other colours of charms are green, crimson, and blue. There was also a 'glitch' in the Dagannoth Lighthouse where there is a gold charm that is dropped but unobtainable; however, some speculate this is a counter measure to bots as they will click on the unobtainable charm for hours, although this is probably just a mistake.
Pouches that require gold charms to make generally need a minimal amount of spirit shards.
Gold charms are used to create pouches for the following familiars:
|1||Spirit wolf||Wolf bones|
|10||Spirit spider||Spider carcass|
|13||Thorny snail||Thin snail|
|16||Granite crab||Iron ore|
|52||Spirit terrorbird||Raw bird meat|
|66||Barker toad||Swamp toad|
|67||War tortoise||Tortoise shell|
|71||Arctic bear||Polar kebbit fur|
Spirit wolves and dreadfowl are available to free-to-play.
Monsters that drop gold charmsEdit
Monsters with a significant gold charm drop rate (greater than 10%) are listed below. It is not meant to be inclusive of all monsters that drop gold charms.
|Monster||Combat level||# dropped||Drop frequency %|
|Deadly red spiders||136||1||25|
|Giant rock crabs||95||3||79|
|Wolves (level 60)||64||1||34|
Note that monsters do not drop gold charms on free-to-play worlds.
While dungeoneering, the gold charm can be used to summon each of the types of dungeoneering familiars up to tier 3, or the Naïve versions. It can also be made by using any other types of charms on the summoning obelisk and then selecting "Downgrade to gold charm"
Other charm obtaining methodsEdit
- Dorgesh-Kaan Average Chest
- Dorgesh-Kaan Rich Chest
- Soul Wars rewards
- Spirit impling loot
- Charm sprite hunting
- Freeing a Fire Spirit
- Completing the Wolf whistle quest quest which gives 275 gold charms. (F2P)
- Free Sample in Pikkupstix's Summoning Store (F2P)
- A one-time reward of 10 Gold Charms from saving Nora from a burning building in Burthorpe (F2P)
- Gold charms appear in Magestix and Pikkupstix's shop inventories, but they cannot be sold to them, and there is no stock of the item. There is, however, one free sample that can be taken.
- The free sample in Magestix and Pikkupstix's shop inventories could be considered an unlimited source of gold charms, but it would take an extremely long time to even obtain 50.
- Gold charms were allowed for free players as of 4 March 2013, along with the release of The World Wakes. All other charms remain members only.
- The Gold charm being obtainable as a free player, more than from one-time rewards, means that F2P is trainable, even after level 5 Summoning. However, no experience can be gained until you become P2P.
- Troll Chuckers, Troll brutes and cows in Burthorpe are the only monsters that drop Gold charms on free-to-play worlds.