This article is about the monster. For dungeon guard, see Huge spider.
|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Combat level||2, 24, 27, 50|
|XP per kill||26.8, 88, 128, 260|
|Slayer XP||5, 22, 32, 50|
|Assigned by||Turael or Spria|
|Examine text||I think this spider has been magically modified (all Spider except the Level 50 ones); I think this spider has been genetically modified (Level 50).|
A Giant spider is an introductory monster in RuneScape. Many new players kill the level 2 giant spiders to train combat because of their low combat level and close location to the starting point in Lumbridge.
The level 27 spiders are rarely trained on, and are aggressive.
Level 50 Giant spiders are found exclusively in the third level of the Stronghold of Security and are very popular with higher-levelled players due to the fact that they are aggressive to all players regardless of combat level, making it one of the most popular Free-to-play and Pay-to-play training spots, yielding between 25,000 to 60,000 experience per hour.
The level 50 Giant spiders are fairly accurate and can hit up to 74 LP, so it is recommended that players wear at least full rune armour and bring food (filling the inventory with food is recommended as the spiders drop nothing). Alternatively, players can bring a Bunyip, Saradomin Godsword, Unicorn Stallion, or a full set of Guthans to heal with. The spiders down there do NOT drop anything. The spiders are recommended (level 50) for combat level 55-138.
- Varrock sewers (level 2 and 27)
- North-west of Lumbridge Castle at H.A.M. HQ (level 2)
- Spider mound; Wilderness level 46 (level 27)
- Stronghold of Security (level 50)
- Edgeville dungeon (level 2)
- Between the Eastern wall of Falador and Draynor Manor (level 2)
- Around Oo'glog (level 2 and 27)
- Clock Tower Basement
In Stronghold of Security they don't drop anything.
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 2,953 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Air rune 4–6 Uncommon 52–78 Earth rune 4 Uncommon 36 Fire rune 6 Uncommon 60 Body rune 7 Uncommon 28
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Bronze helm 1 Common 28 Bronze bolts 8 Uncommon 240 Bronze arrow 4–11 Uncommon 32–88 Exchange:Longbow Longbow 1 Rare Expression error: Unrecognised punctuation character "[". Bronze kiteshield 1 Very rare 27
Special Second Drops
These drops are received as a second, extra drop.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Staff of air 1 Rare 794 Exchange:Sling Sling 1 Rare Expression error: Unrecognised punctuation character "[".
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 1–20 Common Not sold Cabbage 1 Common 68 Bread dough 1 Common 115 Earth talisman 1 Uncommon 793 Water talisman 1 Very rare 4,721 Air talisman 1 Rare 145 Cooking apple 2 Rare 550 Brass necklace 1 Rare 99 Vial 1 Rare 1
- The examine information originally read that the spider had been "genetically modified" rather than "magically modified". The examine information for the level 50 Giant Spider in the Stronghold of Security, however, is still unchanged and remains as "genetically modified".
- In the Hallowe'en 2011 event the player has to choose a giant spider to represent Famine in statue form; however famine's was said to be black.
- The level 50 variety are slightly darker in colour than the lower level spiders.
- The level 50 giant spiders in the Stronghold of Security, at extremely low health, will retreat to the walls. A nearby spider may then attack. It is unknown if they automatically attack to protect their brethren or it simply attacks because of its aggressiveness.