|Release||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|1 / 1 / 0|
|4 ticks (2.4s)|
|? (edit)||? (edit)||? (edit)|
Giant rats are low level vermin. These are often fought by low level players because of their low combat level, accessibility, and the fact that they drop bones and raw rat meat, which can be cooked over a fire and consumed to restore life points.
- Stronghold of Security (level 13 and 14)
- Behind the Dancing Donkey Inn (level 14) 
- Varrock Sewers (level 10 and 14)
- South-west of Port Sarim (level 10) 
- Grand tree mine (level 10 and 14)
- Tree Gnome Maze (level 10 and 14)
- Behind Lumbridge Castle (level 10) 
- Lumbridge Swamp (level 7 and 9)
- On the path to the East Varrock Mine (level 14) 
- Wilderness Levels 1-5 north of Varrock castle (level 14) 
- In the pen south of Varrock (level 10) 
- Edgeville dungeon (level 10 and 14)
- Daemonheim (Dungeoneering only)
|Raw rat meat||1||Always||209|
|Giant rat bone(m)||1||Common||Not sold|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold|
- Raw rat meat is not dropped inside of Daemonheim. Also, some giant rats in Lumbridge Swamp as well as the one on the path leading to East Varrock Mine only drop raw rat meat occasionally.
- Giant rats in the stronghold of security do not always drop raw rat meat.
- Giant rat bone can only be obtained after starting Rag and Bone Man quest.
- Giant rats do drop Rat's tails during Witch's Potion.
- Giant rats behind Lumbridge Castle do not drop raw rat meat or bones.
- Giant rats are one of the few RuneScape monsters that blink.
- Giant rats were graphically updated in 2006, again in 2011, and most recently, in 2014
- On Tutorial Island, a player would have to kill a giant rat.
- Usually the low level Giant Rats have light fur while the higher levels have dark fur.
- Partly decomposed corpses of giant rats can be seen in some of the puddles in Lumbridge Swamp.