The Giant mole is one of a few deadly creatures in all of RuneScape. It is the 9th strongest non-quest monster and can hit very high against unprotected players. Upon defeat, players may receive various items, such as hard or elite clue scrolls, and its famous mole skin and claws, which can be sold for a hefty amount of coins or sold to Wyson for bird's nests, which are used for saradomin brews, making it a popular monster.
The mole drops 2 charms almost 100% of the time, which is good for charm collectors. The drops are better than the Chaos Elemental in terms of regular drops, and the clue scrolls that the mole drops can offset most (if not all) of the equipment bought. The mole is one of the few monsters in RuneScape to drop elite clue scrolls.
Note: Like most bosses, the mole has a slow respawn rate, about 1-3 minutes depending on the server's population.
How to fight the moleEdit
The mole can be found in Falador Park. Players will need a spade in their tool belt or inventory to get in, along with a light source. Without a light source, players will be constantly dealt with damage from insects. The player should also have at least a combat level of 110+ along with a Magic level at 70+, along with Prayer at 43+.
The mole is weak to water based spells, such as Water Surge or Ice Barrage. The mole is also weak to magic attacks in general. Because it attacks with melee, mage armour provides the best defence. The mole can not be bound using Bind, Snare, or Entangle.
The mole resides in a multicombat area, and because players can tank the damage, fighting familiars are usually brought in unless a player has the Summoning level to summon a pack yak, which probably makes the player stay there as long as they want. Low levels should watch for high levels as they may be able to killsteal your mole, making you hop worlds.
When fighting the giant mole, pay attention when he digs to the direction he turns. Knowing he turns to the north-east, you can assume that he is going somewhere north about 85% of the time.
- Melee attack: Basic melee attack which involves his left claw swiping at you. Can deal up to 720 damage. High melee defence would be recommended.
- Dig: The mole only uses this when its health starts falling to around 50-75% of its maximum health. The mole does not do any damage on this attack. Instead it will dig away to a random, specific spot around the cave. This attack will block any attacks inflicted on it while it is digging away. It is also able to extinguish any light source execpt a seer's headband or bullseye lantern. Using a falador Shield 4, as shown below, will be able to locate where the mole is, but this requires high stats and completion of The Temple at Senntisten. Probably the most frustrating attack because if poisoned and has died, the player may not be able to receive the drops.
The mole has a very large wandering range when unattacked. It is able to move freely about at the mid to top part of the mole caverns, making it hard if it has lost interest in you when it dug away.
Melee - Low levelEdit
Recommended equipment for low levels.
- Helm: Helm of neitiznot > Dragon helm > Rune full helm > Rune helm
- Weapon: Abyssal whip > Dragon longsword > Rune scimitar > Rune longsword
- Offhand: Dragon defender > Toktz-ket-xil > Rune defender > Rune kiteshield
- Body: Dragon chainbody > Granite body Rune platebody > Rune chainbody
- Legs: Dragon platelegs/Dragon plateskirt > Granite legs > Rune platelegs/Rune plateskirt
- Boots: Dragon boots > Bandos boots > Rune boots
- Gloves: Culinaromancer's gloves 10
- Aura: Vampyrism or Penance
- Cape: Obsidian cape or Bladestorm drape(if using a slash weapon]]
- Special: Dragon dagger (non-poisoned to p++)
Ranged - Low levelEdit
The mole can get stuck on obstacles, making it viable to avoid almost all damage from him.
- Helm: Helm of neitiznot > Archer helm > Rune full helm
- Weapon: Rune crossbow > Adamant crossbow
- Offhand: God book > Rune kiteshield
- Body: Black d'hide body > Red d'hide body
- Chaps: Black d'hide chaps > Red d'hide chaps
- Bolts: Broad-tipped bolts* Adamantite bolts/(ruby/diamond (e)) > Mithril bolts
- Vambraces: Black d'hide vambraces/spiky > Red d'hide vambraces/spiky
- Boots: Snakeskin boots
- Aura: Sharpshooter or Penance
- Cape: Ava's alerter > Ava's accumulator > Ava's attractor > Obsidian cape
Melee - high levelEdit
With high stats, it is possible to quickly kill the mole within 2-5 digs.
Note: It is not recommended to use Torva or Superior Tetsu as these degrade and the reparation costs are expensive, unless the profit of fighting the Mole are not important to you.
- Helm: Torva full helm/Superior tetsu helm > Helm of neitiznot > Dragon full helm > Dragon helm
- Body: Torva platebody/Superior tetsu body > Bandos chestplate > Torag's platebody > Dragon platebody > Dragon chainbody
- Legs: Torva platelegs/Superior tetsu legs > Bandos tassets > Torag's platelegs > Dragon platelegs/Dragon plateskirt
- Weapon: Chaotic maul > Chaotic longsword > Chaotic rapier > Brackish blade > Abyssal whip > Dragon longsword
- Shield: Divine spirit shield > Blessed spirit shield/Crystal shield > Dragonfire shield > Toktz-Ket-Xil
- Boots: Steadfast boots > Bandos boots > Dragon boots > Rune boots
- Aura: Vampyrism or Penance/Reverence
- Gloves: Goliath gloves > Culinaromancer's gloves 10
- Seer's headband/Bullseye lantern
- Falador shield 4(optional)
- 1 Super or Extreme set
- 10-15 pieces high level food
- Familiar scrolls (Steel titan/Pak yak)
- Emergency teleport
Ranged - High levelEdit
Note: It is not recommended to use Pernix or Superior Death Lotus as these degrade and the reparation costs are expensive, unless the profit of fighting the Mole are not important to you.
- Helm: Pernix cowl/Superior death lotus hood > Armadyl helmet > Archer helm > Helm of neitiznot
- Body: Pernix body/Superior death lotus chestplate > Armadyl chestplate > Royal d'hide body > Black d'hide body
- Chaps: Pernix chaps/Superior death lotus chaps > Armadyl chainskirt > Royal d'hide chaps > Black d'hide chaps
- Weapon: Zaryte bow > Chaotic crossbow > Armadyl crossbow > Rune crossbow > Sagaie
- Offhand: God books
- Cape: Completionist cape > Max cape > Ava's devices > Skill capes
- Bolts: Dragon bolts (e) > Runite bolts > Broad-tipped bolts
- Boots: Pernix boots > Glavien boots > Armadyl boots/Ranger boots > Snakeskin boots
- Aura: Sharpshooter or Penance/Reverence
- Gloves: Pernix gloves > Swift gloves > Armadyl gloves > Royal d'hide vambraces > Black d'hide vambraces
Magic - High levelEdit
- Helm: Ganodermic Visor > Infinity hat > Ahrim's hood
- Amulet: Arcane stream necklace > Amulet of Fury
- Body: Ganodermic Poncho > Infinity top > Ahrim's robe top
- Legs: Ganodermic Leggings > Infinity bottoms > Ahrim's robe skirt
- Weapon: Chaotic Staff > Virtus Wand > Master wand
- Shield: Ward of Subjugation > Mage's book
- Boots: Ganodermic Boots > Infinity boots
- Gloves Culinaromancer's gloves 10
- Cape: Completionist Cape > Max Cape > God Cape > Skillcape (t)
- Spell: Water Surge > Water Spells > Ice Barrage
The mole will always drop mole skin and claws. Here are some of the drops you may consider to pick up:
- Clue scrolls (hard/elite)
- The 100% drops (excluding bones)
- Noted items
- Valuable items
With good luck, players can make millions off of this monster.