|Release||28 November 2011 (Update)|
|A creature of animated earth, infested with fungus.|
|Equipment XP (2H/MH & Armour/OH)|
|14 / 9 / 4|
4 ticks (2.4s)
The fungal mage is a monster found in the Polypore Dungeon. If players come within one square away from it, it will infect them, dealing fast hits of 15-17 life points. However, this can be prevented by using neem oil on it. It should be noted that fungal magi are incredibly strong against melee and ranged, as with all other creatures found in the Polypore dungeon.
Players with fair magical defence can tank their attacks with ease. Players with a low Magic level and poor magic defensive bonuses should not go near the fungal mage and allow it to infest them; it would be difficult to break even while using Protect from Magic/Deflect Magic, and the damage from infestation is much less than the attacks from the magic attacks themselves.
It seems that even with good defence its normal magical attacks still cause more damage, but as the damage is small either way it is partially up to personal preference. If the player wishes to go for the infection method, they must stay in melee range and not use neem oil (players should note that when neem oil is used on a fungal mage it stops attacking for a few seconds).
Melee and range attacks will be capped to no more than 50 damage per hit. Note that a Dwarf Multicannon will no longer work in this area.
Players can kill these without 50 Magic, but they will not get them as a Slayer task until they have the level. It should be noted that they are weak for their level, with a moderately low max hit and accuracy. A good way of training on these if lacking coins is to use a Staff of air or equivalent, as it allows unlimited casts of Air spells, which are their primary weakness.
Killing fungal magi can be quite profitable, due to their valuable drops such as potato cactus and seeds.
|Neem drupe||1–3||Always||Not sold|
|Represents a 90% confidence range based on a sample of 35,920 kills.|
1 charm is dropped at a time.
|Grimy dwarf weed||1||Uncommon||2,128|
|Poison ivy seed||1||Uncommon||219|
|Spirit weed seed||1||Uncommon||2,971|
|Bittercap mushroom spore||1||Uncommon||1,833|
|Dwarf weed seed||1||Rare||661|
|Snape grass||4 (noted)||Common||148|
|Limpwurt root||1 (noted)||Common||1,446|
|Pure essence||15–25 (noted)||Common||375–625|
|Potato cactus||8 (noted)||Common||12,992|
|Spirit sapphire||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Spirit emerald||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Spirit ruby||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Starved ancient effigy||1||Very rare||Not sold|
- Universal drops are dropped by nearly every monster outside of Daemonheim.
- These drops are dropped alongside main drops.
|Key token||1||Rare||Not sold|
|Mimic kill token||1||Very rare||10,059|
- When the fungal mage is assigned as a Slayer task, when you block it you can also choose the option to block all monsters in the Polypore dungeon.
- As of 1 February 2018, the highest kill count for these monsters was 259,437 kills, shared with all polypore creatures.
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top 10 killers per Boss. 2 Feb 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"*
- ^ Mod Shauny. Top Slayer Killers - 6th May 2018. 6 May 2018. "Here are the top 10 kills for each Slayer creature in RuneScape, be aware that we've not listed display names for privacy purposes however if you wish to brag about one number being yours then we won't stop you!"