- This article has a strategy guide here.
|Release date||19 July 2010 (Update)|
|XP per kill||Unknown edit|
|Always drops||Frost dragon bones|
|Examine text||A dragon covered in frost and ice.|
Frost dragons make lair in the Asgarnian Ice Dungeon resource dungeon. The dungeon requires level 85 Dungeoneering to access, and inside are a total of 12 dragons to kill. Frost dragons attack with all three combat styles, as well as with dragonfire. Like all dragons, they are weak to stab attacks, making the chaotic rapier a popular weapon choice.
Frost Dragons may attack with either Ranged or Magic. Each Frost dragon will attack with EITHER their ranged or magic attack for the entire fight; which style it will use depends on whichever attack is randomly used FIRST - so keep an eye on the first attack, and pray accordingly for that kill.
When fighting Frost Dragons, a blue recoil orb will appear and start circling the dragon. It is important that you do NOT attack while the orb is out, as it will rebound any damage you would've dealt 100%. Therefore, it is important that you have your auto-retaliate switched OFF when fighting these dragons; when the orb appears, click away from the dragon to stop attacking and wait. The orb will circle 3 times before it disappears, after which you can resume killing your dragon (you and your cannon are able to deal damage to the dragon slightly before the orb disappears, at about 2.3-2.5 rotations). NOTE that some have noticed damage rebound before the orb is visible, so it is important to pay close attention.
Cannons will not deal damage to the dragon while the orb is active, and the player will not receive any damage from fired cannonballs as long as the player is not attacking the dragon (you will receive cannon damage if you are attacking the dragon while the orb is out). This makes frost dragons a slightly tougher monster to fight, but should not heavily hinder any legitimate player trying to kill them. Also note that a dreadnip will be able to deal damage normally and the damage will not be reflected, which can allow a kill if the dragon is low on health while the orb is active.
Cannons can significantly reduce the time it takes to kill a frost dragon, but because this method is so popular many worlds are crowded with cannonners. It is also important that you pay attention so as not to lose any bones from kills that your cannon achieved while you were attacking another dragon.
In the area containing the dragons are randomly appearing frost bone spawns. The bones from these spawns are unobtainable, even by Telegrab — this will cause bots to 'try' to pick up the bones, effectively incapacitating them.
After release of the Dungeoneering skill, players noticed that Frost Dragons were an efficient way of making money, millions of coins could be gained in a fairly short amount of time because of the high price of Frost dragon bones and the small chance of getting a Draconic visage. With the realization that a vast amount of wealth could be gained in this resource dungeon, players soon crowded the area making it difficult for many people to get high amount of coins per hour.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Frost dragon bones 1 Always 12,011
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 13,877 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Weapons and armour
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rune longsword 1 Common 18,902 Rune arrow 12 Common 2,388 Adamant kiteshield 1 Uncommon 2,935 Adamant platebody 1 Uncommon 9,662
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Water talisman 2 (noted) Common 10,622 Death rune 10, 15, 50 Uncommon 1,670–8,350 Air talisman 2 (noted) Uncommon 246 Pure essence 50, 200 (noted) Uncommon 3,400–13,600 Law rune 10 Uncommon 1,900 Blood rune 10, 50 Uncommon 2,780–13,900
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Adamant bar 3–15 (noted) Uncommon 8,628–43,140
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy guam 1 (noted) Common 332 Grimy marrentill 1 (noted) Common 56 Grimy tarromin 1 (noted) Common 157 Grimy harralander 1 (noted) Common 463 Grimy ranarr 1 (noted) Common 2,187 Grimy irit 1 (noted) Common 1,721 Grimy avantoe 1 (noted) Common 3,940 Grimy kwuarm 1 (noted) Common 2,148 Grimy cadantine 1 (noted) Common 2,015 Grimy lantadyme 1 (noted) Common 7,886 Grimy dwarf weed 1 (noted) Common 9,330 Grimy snapdragon 1 Very rare 3,583
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 200–60,000 Common Not sold Shark 1, 2 Common 825–1,650 Water orb 2 (noted) Common 1,396 Limpwurt root 1 (noted) Uncommon 1,022 Mahogany logs 3 (noted) Uncommon 1,659 Clue scroll (hard) 1 Rare Not sold Court Summons 1 Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Rare Not sold Draconic visage 1 Very rare 1,268,652
Rare drop table drops
- This monster drops items from the rare drop table.
The ring of wealth improves the chances if equipped but is not required to access the table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 250; 381; 450; 3,000; 9,000; 12,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,082 Uncut emerald 1 Common 1,903 Uncut ruby 1 Common 3,112 Uncut diamond 1 Uncommon 7,034 Loop half of a key 1 Uncommon 11,742 Tooth half of a key 1 Uncommon 19,052 Uncut dragonstone 1 Rare 12,885 Dragonstone 1 Rare 10,585 Dragon dagger 1 Uncommon 16,976 Rune javelin 5 Rare 1,215 Adamant javelin 20 Very rare 1,260 Rune 2h sword 1 Very rare 37,933 Rune spear 1 Very rare 11,988 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 36,917 Dragon dagger 50 (noted) Very rare 848,800 Rune sq shield 1 Very rare 22,727 Rune kiteshield 1 Very rare 32,404 Shield left half 1 Very rare 65,284 Dragon helm 1 Very rare 59,501 Adamant bolts 200 Uncommon 19,800 Onyx bolts 150 Rare 1,305,000 Rune arrow 150–200; 500 Rare 29,850–199 Battlestaff 200 (noted) Rare 1,680,000 Air orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 1,587,000 Fire orb 1,000 (noted) Rare 1,723,000 Vecna skull 1 Very rare 92,454 Water talisman 1 Uncommon 5,311 Earth talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 19,025–26,635 Fire talisman 25–35 (noted) Uncommon 47,950–67,130 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 177 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 193 Pure essence 500–15,000 (noted) Uncommon 34,000–1,020,000 Nature rune 47–77 Rare 5,452–8,932 Soul rune 20 Rare 2,480 Law rune 45 Rare 8,550 Death rune 50; 121 Rare 167 Blood rune 50 Rare 13,900 Raw swordfish 125 – 250; 1,000 (noted) Uncommon 36,000–288 Raw shark 250–500 (noted) Uncommon 257,000–514,000 Big bones 150 – 500 (noted) Uncommon 67,350–224,500 Coal 150–7,500 (noted) Uncommon 38,250–1,912,500 Adamantite ore 150–800 (noted) Uncommon 214,650–1,144,800 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 11,100 Runite ore 100 (noted) Rare 1,056,000 Adamant bar 1,000–7,000 (noted) Rare 2,876,000–20,132,000 Rune bar 1,50,150 (noted) Rare 13,069–1,960,350 Clean ranarr 33 (noted) Uncommon 75,900 Clean toadflax 25–250 (noted) Uncommon 88,175–881,750 Clean snapdragon 30–120 (noted) Uncommon 106,230–424,920 Clean torstol 10–100 (noted) Uncommon 94,140–941,400 Saradomin brew (4) 250 (noted) Very rare 64,750 Watermelon seed 3 Uncommon 5,859 Yew seed 1–50 Rare 60,155–3,007,750 Magic seed 1–6 Rare 164,810–988,860 Palm tree seed 10 Rare 1,058,660 Snapdragon seed 1 Rare 2,127 Torstol seed 1–31 Rare 50,268–1,558,308 Fellstalk seed 2 Rare 1,000 Yew logs 100–20,000 (noted) Rare 53,600–10,720,000
- Frost dragons were the only monster in RuneScape that lived exclusively in a Resource dungeon. (Apart from Dungeoneering floors). This has now changed due to the release of A Clockwork Syringe.
- When a player uses a bucket of milk on a frost dragon, a message in their chat box will appear saying "They're great!" which is a reference to the Frosties/Frosted Flakes breakfast cereal.
- Although Frost dragons are dragons, they cannot be assigned as a slayer task by any slayer master.
- Frost dragons are the only dragons that do not have a second drop; chromatic dragons drop dragonhide and metal dragons drop metal bars.
- In the 17 October 2011 update, Frost Dragons were changed significantly; Jagex developers hoped this would combat the heavy botting. They were given a ranged attack, similar to Mithril Dragons, as well as a new rebounding effect.
- Along with their update to their mechanics to combat bots, Jagex also created randomly appearing frost bone spawns. These spawns are unobtainable, even by telegrab. This is another thing made to stop bots. The way they are programmed make them pick up the bones by variables. The bones dropped by the dragons have the same code as the bones that can't be picked up; the bot will be stuck if it tries to pick up these bones.
- Due to the addition of attempts to stop the bots, the Frost dragon spawns have not been moved. One spawn on one side has a dragon stuck in water, and another (because of the extra rocks to block the bots from telegrabbing/getting the bones) will be stuck there. They can still move out, and their drop is still accessible.
- Frost dragons, along with Mithril dragons, are the only dragons to use all three sides of the combat triangle along with dragonfire.
- Despite having all three sides of combat, Frost dragons' magic and ranged attacks hit higher than Mithril dragons'. Their melee attack also hits almost as hard (less then 60 damage from Mithril dragon's max melee).
- When a Frost dragon respawns, it seems to have the similar effect of summoning, renewing or calling a familiar into action. This can suggest those in the Resource dungeon are not regular monsters, but summoned ones.
- On 23 November the rebound orb now takes more than five hits for it to appear.
- Dragonbane bolts can be used on frost dragons for higher damage.
Dragons and dragon-like races