- This article has a strategy guide here.
|Release date||19 July 2010 (Update)|
|XP per kill||Unknown edit|
|Always drops||Frost dragon bones|
|Examine text||A dragon covered in frost and ice.|
Frost dragons make lair in the Asgarnian Ice Dungeon resource dungeon. The dungeon requires level 85 Dungeoneering to access, and inside are a total of 12 dragons to kill. Frost dragons attack with all three combat styles, as well as with dragonfire. Like all dragons, they are weak to stab attacks, making the chaotic rapier a popular weapon choice.
Frost Dragons may attack with either Ranged or Magic. Each Frost dragon will attack with EITHER their ranged or magic attack for the entire fight; which style it will use depends on whichever attack is randomly used FIRST - so keep an eye on the first attack, and pray accordingly for that kill.
When fighting Frost Dragons, a blue recoil orb will appear and start circling the dragon. It is important that you do NOT attack while the orb is out, as it will rebound any damage you would've dealt 100%. Therefore, it is important that you have your auto-retaliate switched OFF when fighting these dragons; when the orb appears, click away from the dragon to stop attacking and wait. The orb will circle 3 times before it disappears, after which you can resume killing your dragon (you and your cannon are able to deal damage to the dragon slightly before the orb disappears, at about 2.3-2.5 rotations). NOTE that some have noticed damage rebound before the orb is visible, so it is important to pay close attention.
Cannons will not deal damage to the dragon while the orb is active, and the player will not receive any damage from fired cannonballs as long as the player is not attacking the dragon (you will receive cannon damage if you are attacking the dragon while the orb is out). This makes frost dragons a slightly tougher monster to fight, but should not heavily hinder any legitimate player trying to kill them. Also note that a dreadnip will be able to deal damage normally and the damage will not be reflected, which can allow a kill if the dragon is low on health while the orb is active.
Cannons can significantly reduce the time it takes to kill a frost dragon, but because this method is so popular many worlds are crowded with cannonners. It is also important that you pay attention so as not to lose any bones from kills that your cannon achieved while you were attacking another dragon.
In the area containing the dragons are randomly appearing frost bone spawns. The bones from these spawns are unobtainable, even by Telegrab — this will cause bots to 'try' to pick up the bones, effectively incapacitating them.
After release of the Dungeoneering skill, players noticed that Frost Dragons were an efficient way of making money, millions of coins could be gained in a fairly short amount of time because of the high price of Frost dragon bones and the small chance of getting a Draconic visage. With the realization that a vast amount of wealth could be gained in this resource dungeon, players soon crowded the area making it difficult for many people to get high amount of coins per hour.
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Frost dragon bones 1 Always 10,498
- Represents 90% confidence range, based on a sample of 13,877 kills.
1 charm is dropped at a time.
- Please add to the log (only if 50 or more creatures killed).
Weapons and armour
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Rune longsword 1 Common 18,654 Rune arrow 12 Common 2,340 Adamant kiteshield 1 Uncommon 2,854 Adamant platebody 1 Uncommon 9,737
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Water talisman 2 (noted) Common 9,592 Death rune 10, 15, 50 Uncommon 930–4,650 Air talisman 2 (noted) Uncommon 282 Pure essence 50, 200 (noted) Uncommon 4,300–17,200 Law rune 10 Uncommon 1,790 Blood rune 10, 50 Uncommon 1,660–8,300
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Adamant bar 3–15 (noted) Uncommon 9,726–48,630
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Grimy guam 1 (noted) Common 516 Grimy marrentill 1 (noted) Common 43 Grimy tarromin 1 (noted) Common 225 Grimy harralander 1 (noted) Common 612 Grimy ranarr 1 (noted) Common 2,169 Grimy irit 1 (noted) Common 1,772 Grimy avantoe 1 (noted) Common 4,171 Grimy kwuarm 1 (noted) Common 2,557 Grimy cadantine 1 (noted) Common 2,538 Grimy lantadyme 1 (noted) Common 7,733 Grimy dwarf weed 1 (noted) Common 8,069 Grimy snapdragon 1 Very rare 3,622
Item Quantity Rarity GE Market Price Coins 200–60,000 Common Not sold Shark 1, 2 Common 849–1,698 Water orb 2 (noted) Common 1,634 Limpwurt root 1 (noted) Uncommon 1,026 Mahogany logs 3 (noted) Uncommon 1,797 Clue scroll (hard) 1 Rare Not sold Court Summons 1 Rare Not sold Starved ancient effigy 1 Rare Not sold Draconic visage 1 Very rare 1,230,658
Rare drop table drops
|Show/hide rare drop table|
- Frost dragons were the only monster in RuneScape that lived exclusively in a Resource dungeon. (Apart from Dungeoneering floors). This has now changed due to the release of A Clockwork Syringe.
- When a player uses a bucket of milk on a frost dragon, a message in their chat box will appear saying "They're great!" which is a reference to the Frosties/Frosted Flakes breakfast cereal.
- Although Frost dragons are dragons, they cannot be assigned as a slayer task by any slayer master.
- Frost dragons are the only dragons that do not have a second drop; chromatic dragons drop dragonhide and metal dragons drop metal bars.
- In the 17 October 2011 update, Frost Dragons were changed significantly; Jagex developers hoped this would combat the heavy botting. They were given a ranged attack, similar to Mithril Dragons, as well as a new rebounding effect.
- Along with their update to their mechanics to combat bots, Jagex also created randomly appearing frost bone spawns. These spawns are unobtainable, even by telegrab. This is another thing made to stop bots, the way they are programmed make then pick up the bones by variables, the bones dropped by the dragons have the same code as the bones that can't be picked, so the bot will be stuck if it try to pick those bones.
- Due to the addition of attempts to stop the bots, the Frost dragon spawns have not been moved. One spawn on one side has a dragon stuck in water, and another (because of the extra rocks to block the bots from telegrabbing/getting the bones) will be stuck there. They can still move out, and their drop is still accessible.
- Frost dragons, along with Mithril dragons, are the only dragons to use all three sides of the combat triangle along with dragonfire.
- Despite having all three sides of combat, Frost dragons' magic and ranged attacks hit higher than Mithril dragons'. Their melee attack also hits almost as hard (less then 60 damage from Mithril dragon's max melee).
- When a Frost dragon respawns, it seems to have the similar effect of summoning, renewing or calling a familiar into action. This can suggest those in the Resource dungeon are not regular monsters, but summoned ones.
- On 23 November the rebound orb now takes more than five hits for it to appear.
- Dragonbane bolts can be used on frost dragons for higher damage.
Dragons and dragon-like races