To take part in the sagas, Skaldrun must first be unfrozen. He will appear randomly on the frozen floors (floors 1-11) during a game of Dungeoneering (complexity 2 or higher only). He must be unfrozen with a tinderbox and logs, or a fire-based spell. After he has been found and freed, he can be found on the surface of Daemonheim near Thok.
To be able to play any of the five sagas, players must find an item while Dungeoneering that jolts Skaldrun's memory. These items cannot be found until after Skaldrun has been found and freed. Item 1 is found on floors 1-11, item 2 floors 12-17, and item 3 floors 30-35. All three items can be found during games of any complexity.
You play either the unabridged or the abridged version of the saga. The abridged version requires only the Dungeoneering level necessary to find the memory-jogging item, but if you have the required additional levels, you play the unabridged version which has secondary objectives. 100% completing the unabridged version gives two XP tomes, an abridged tome and an unabridged tome, giving experience in Dungeoneering and tokens, and a choice of the other skills respectively. Completing the abridged version or failing to 100% complete the unabridged version gives the abridged tome only. You can replay sagas, however the abridged and unabridged rewards can only be earned once. After earning the abridged and unabridged rewards you can replay sagas for dungeoneering tokens. Each saga has a set amount of tokens earned on replay, however every replay reduces the amount of tokens earned by 20% until after repeating your 4th saga. At that point you will earn only 20% of the possible tokens. This reduction of tokens resets everyday at 12:00 AM GMT.
If you log out in the middle of a saga, you can restart it from the last saved position (the last key door unlocked).
In order to begin, the player must first unfreeze Skaldrun. This is done by Dungeoneering on the Frozen floors (1-11) in Daemonheim, with Complexity 2 or higher activated. Skaldrun appears randomly in a room, frozen in ice. Kill all the monsters in the room so that the discussion with Skaldrun will not be interrupted. Light any type of fire adjacent to the ice or cast a fire spell on the ice. Talk to him. Choose each option. Once done, tell him to "Leave" and he will teleport to the surface.
It does not matter if some or all of the other members of a dungeoneering team have already released Skaldrun - they do not see Skaldrun or the memory fragments.
Finding the memory fragments
The memories can be unlocked in any order, but the fragment required to start the lowest level saga is a bear pelt - it will appear randomly on one of the frozen floors, but many players find it in the same room where Skaldrun was frozen, at the same time. The bear pelt will be white and shiny, and will most likely catch player's eyes upon entering the right room. None of the memory fragments appear as a red dot on the minimap. Touch the bear pelt and it will disappear. After touching the bear pelt the player will receive a message in the chatbox stating to start the memory the player must talk to Skaldrun.
Unlike unfreeezing Skaldrun, it is possible to find all fragments on complexity level 1 dungeons.
Starting and Restarting a saga
No items (not even the Ring of kinship) can be taken into the saga. Find Skaldrun located west of Thok, Master of Dungeoneering, and talk to him to select an unlocked saga. When you start a saga, there is no Daemonheim Smuggler to aid you.
If you quit a saga or log out, you reappear next to Skaldrun.
When you start the saga again, you can choose to start from the last saved checkpoint or from the beginning. The save checkpoint is the last of unlocking of a door requiring a key to open. Rooms that were completed but not part of the story-line to the last (key-unlocked) door are lost. The heroes are returned to full health and the food available at the beginning of the saga is respawned (this is useful if you were running out of food and health).
If you have the appropriate levels, you will play the unabridged version. There are side objectives which are tasks that need to be completed that are not part of the main plot. You are given some hints about these objectives, but you are not told what they are or even how many there are. The locations needed for the side objectives (obelisks, etc) are not shown on the mini-map, although items are shown as red dots. It is possible to find yourself in a situation where an objective cannot be completed (e.g. if a particular item of food is needed, and it has already been consumed).
If you fail to complete all the side objectives before you finish the saga, you will only receive the abridged tome and you will have to replay the saga from the beginning again to obtain the unabridged tome. Unless you are following a walkthrough, you should expect to play each saga at least twice, the first time simply to discover how many side objectives there are!
List of Sagas
Three's Company is the first saga that can be played. It involves controlling the Signature Heroes Ariane, Sir Owen and Ozan, in order to catch the notorious bandit Carn. It can be started after finding an item on one of the frozen floors (Floors 1-11). It is the only free-to-play saga.
- Memory fragment - Bearskin
- Requirements (abridged) - 6 Dungeoneering
- Requirements (unabridged) - 30 Attack, Magic and Ranged
- Rewards (abridged) - 75 Dungeoneering tokens, 750 Dungeoneering experience
- Rewards (unabridged) - 3,750 experience in Attack, Magic or Ranged
- On replay: - Up to 224 Tokens
Four adventurers journey to Daemonheim and leave all but one dead. The survivor is in the mood for vengeance. It can be started after finding an item on one of the first abandoned floors (Floors 12-17). It is only available to members.
- Memory fragment - Collection of swords
- Requirements (abridged) - 23 Dungeoneering
- Requirements (unabridged) - 55 Agility and Thieving
- Rewards (abridged) - 241 Dungeoneering tokens, 2,410 Dungeoneering experience
- Rewards (unabridged) - 25,415 experience in Agility or Thieving
- On replay: - Up to 271 Tokens
Announced the same post as the second Thok saga, this one will follow Moia as she disguises herself as dungeon inhabitants in order to find "Bill" and discover the secrets of Daemonheim.
It is started by finding a damaged device on floors 18-22. Upon finding the item, you will get the following System message: "The device appears to be badly damaged, but you seem to sense some slight activity within as it vanishes in your hand and becomes little more than a memory. Skaldrun may be able to tell you more about its origin."
- Memory fragment - Damaged Device
- Requirements (abridged) - 30 Dungeoneering
- Requirements (unabridged) - 55 Dungeoneering , 45 Thieving , 60 Attack
- Rewards (abridged) - 3,750 Dungeoneering experience, 375 Dungeoneering tokens.
- Rewards (unabridged) - 21,670 Dungeoneering experience, 2167 Dungeoneering tokens, 11,660 Thieving experience OR 37,080 Attack experience.
- On replay: - Up to 2,674 Dungeoneering tokens.
Thok It To 'Em
- Memory fragment - Scribbled notes
- Requirements (abridged) - 59 Dungeoneering
- Requirements (unabridged) - 70 Strength
- Rewards (abridged) - 3,708 Dungeoneering tokens, 37,080 Dungeoneering experience
- Rewards (unabridged) - 75,765 experience in Strength
- On replay: - Up to 872 Tokens
Thok Your Block Off
This saga yet again features Thok trying to beat Marmaros in a battle of brawn, with the winner being the one with the higher killcount. To start the Saga, you must find a Rock and Twine Bundle on the Occult Floors (36-40) of Daemonheim.
Upon finding the Rock and Twine Bundle, you will receive the following system message: "The strange object, seemingly a bundle of rock and twine, both confuses and astounds you with its majesty before it fades and becomes little more than a memory. Skaldrun may be able to make some sense of this."
Thok also does not have access to his sword. In addition to Dungeoneering xp, there is also Strength xp as a reward. It is a member's only Saga and you need 71 dungeoneering (to reach floor 36) and 75 Strength. The guide states 65 dungeoneering as a requirement but you cannot access the floors required.
- Memory fragment - Rock and twine bundle
- Requirements (abridged) - Completion of Thok It To 'Em, 71 Dungeoneering
- Requirements (unabridged) - 75 Strength
- Rewards (abridged) - 53,000 Dungeoneering experience, 5,300 Dungeoneering tokens
- Rewards (unabridged) - 105,010 Strength experience
- On replay: - Up to 1637 Dungeoneering tokens.
- Unlocking and completing all 5 versions of the unabridged sagas is one of the requirements for the untrimmed Completionist cape.
- Do not use the Home Teleport while in a saga. Your character will execute a Lumbridge Teleport, exiting the story. This appears to have been fixed in, at least, Three's Company.
- Upon release, if a player entered one of the 3 Fremennik Sagas on the Ancients spellbook or Lunar spellbook, they would exit the saga being on the normal spellbook. This was later fixed by Jagex.
- Replaying sagas is the only way to gain dungeoneering tokens without earning dungeoneering experience.