A Forum Moderator is a regular player selected by Jagex Ltd. to enforce and promote the community on the RuneScape Forums. If a player is selected to become a Forum Moderator, they will always be notified via a message in their in-game lobby inbox. As of 18 April 2013, there are 95 Forum Moderators. Forum Moderators have a green background when they post on the forums; they have no powers in-game and do not receive any further benefits. Other types of moderators include Player Moderators and Jagex Moderators. Forum Moderators are chosen primarily on the quality (not quantity) of their posts and by being an active member of the Runescape Official Forums. As Jagex Moderators are not permitted to use their JMod accounts whilst not working, some Forum Moderators are actually JMods who are accessing the forums from home. When selected, new forum moderators undergo a training period of some kind. Several applicants have failed such training. There is also a section of the RuneScape Forums that can only be accessed by Forum Moderators and Jagex Moderators. This section of the forums contains a variety of threads ranging from light-hearted, humorous threads to guidelines for moderating the forums.
FAQ - Forum ModeratorsEdit
Q. What is a Forum Moderator?
A. A Forum Moderator is a volunteer player who has been hand-picked by Jagex staff to assist them on the forums. They post on the message boards just like any other forum user, except that they have the added responsibility of using a set of editing tools to remove any inappropriate content that they happen to come across.
Q. Are there Forum Moderators specifically designated to the French, German, Dutch and Brazlian forums?
A. Yes. When you go onto your specific forum for your language or country, there will be a 'Forum Moderator' button on the homepage of the forums, if you click that button you'll get a list of the Forum Moderators on your particular forum. All Forum Moderators have the same powers regardless of what forum they moderate, and they can all access the same private forums area to communice amongst one another.
- Forum Mods have their own private forums for moderating related discussions.
- Forum Mods have a green background when they post. In Private Clan Forums, they post with the regular coloured background.
- Forum Mods can lock and unlock threads.
- Forum Mods can hide threads.
- Forum Mods can move threads.
- Forum Mods can hide/unhide posts.
- Forum Mods can edit titles.
- Forum Mods can issue 24, 48, and 72-hour forum mutes that are quickly reviewed by a Jmod.
- Forum Mods have more ways of contacting Jagex mods than regular players.
- Forum Mods have regular private surgeries with Jmods.
- Forum Mods can "escalate" threads so that they will quickly be viewed by a Jagex mod. This escalation is the same as regular players 'highlight' option.
- Forum Mods have a section of the website which provides guidelines and procedures for what they do.
- Forum Mods can post on locked threads. Threads are often locked and then posted on especially when dealing with spam.
- Forum Mods used to have a system to add notes to a player, that other moderators could view. This has been removed.
- Forum Mods have now been given the ability to Sticky threads (which get reviewed by Jagex)
- ^ Mod Stevew. "Live Q&A with CM - Answers". 4 March 2010. RuneScape Forums. *
- ^ Mod Timbo. "Live Q&A with CM - Answers". 4 March 2010. RuneScape Forums. *
- ^ a b c Jagex. Moderators, Do Forum Moderators receive any benefits? RuneScape Game Guide. Retrieved 15 March 2010.
- ^ a b c d e f g Jagex. Moderators, What tools do Forum Moderators have for their role? RuneScape Game Guide. Retrieved 15 March 2010.
- ^ a b Jagex. Moderators, How do the Forum Moderators know what to do? And can they mute anyone they want to? RuneScape Game Guide. Retrieved 15 March 2010.